Your Favorite Regulator? How did you decide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far I like my ScubaPro Mk10/R109, which I got because the price was right and kept because community/SB support for DIY. In my very limited experience (40-60' 45-55F) I think it breathes as well as my girlfriend's Mk25/S550, which cost as much as all of my SCUBA gear put together. I like both of them better than a Dacor Pacer, a Mares (Rebel I think?) and a cheap Sherwood octo, but from what I understand those aren't really in the same class of regulator.

Greg
how does the v42 compare to the mr42t? wife has the proton metal she dives, i have the carbon. i have complants expect it is at its annual and having the CWD kit addd.

There is no difference in the gas flow characteristics. The earlier V42 used the SCS (Spherical Core Seal) HP system. The newer MR version uses a tri-material valve. Mares switched to the MR system so that all of their diaphragm regs would use the same type of mechanism.

The Carbon second stage would theoretically have an advantage, as the diaphragm is larger in diameter. This would give it a mechanical advantage as the larger surface area would provide more downward force to the lever mechanism. I seriously doubt if you could tell though, as research has demonstrated that it takes around 0.4j/l difference in the breathing effort to discern the difference.

I like the dry CWD kit assembly, but I don't use them on my regs. I have never experienced an icing issue with my unsealed Mares first stages, and that is after hundreds of cold water dives.

Greg

Greg,
Thanks for sharing that. I had parts for the Fathom 50 up till about two years ago when a guy from Florida bought the last of my two hose parts inventory. Voit made some great stuff and was really a top producer in the US. I still have my AMF Voit rocket fins (for my museum). I still have some old Nemrod speargun parts, but they're going back to Barcelona where they came from.

greg
i see your in ohio... do you ice dive? i want to take it up this year. so i figured add the cwd kit.

greg
i see your in ohio... do you ice dive? i want to take it up this year. so i figured add the cwd kit.

Yes, I ice dive whenever I get the opportunity. Next to cave diving, it is my favorite type of diving. The only down side is the frigid topside conditions.

Greg

Greg,
Thanks for sharing that. I had parts for the Fathom 50 up till about two years ago when a guy from Florida bought the last of my two hose parts inventory. Voit made some great stuff and was really a top producer in the US. I still have my AMF Voit rocket fins (for my museum). I still have some old Nemrod speargun parts, but they're going back to Barcelona where they came from.

My guess is the "guy from Florida" was Bryan from vintagedoublehose.com

Bryan has done a tremendous job of providing parts and service for the vintage double hose divers of the world.

Greg

1. Reliability/performance
2. Versatility of usage in different conditions (seal regs)
3. Ease of servicing/parts availability/service support

Results:
1. Apeks DS4/XTX50/XTX50 FST/XTX50/XTX50
2. Aqualung Legend LX Supreme
3. Scubapro MK17/G250V/G250G

SangP

USD Aqualung Royal Aqua Master with Phoenix conversion - unequalled

IMG_1443.jpg

Voit Navy - super cool

DSCF0002-1.jpg

Voit 50 Fathom - because it is blue

DSCF0003.jpg

Scuba Pro R109/MkV - true blue if not actually blue
USD Aqualung Conshelf - forever

IMG_0011.jpg

Tekna T2100 - space age wonder
Aqualung Titan LX - it just works

IMG_1582_edited-1.jpg

N

Last edited:
Here is another test for you that should produce some interesting data, or at least to me anyway. Use a number of identical balanced second stages, all of which have been carefully adjusted the same, the tech should be very carefull to get them as close as possible. Then put them on different first stages, including some obviously older designs - USD Conshelf, SP MK-5, Sherwood Magnums would be good choices and on some shinny new ones. All of the first stages should be set to the exact same IP. Have your test divers dive the regs and see what the comments are. The real answer is "I can't tell any difference" but my bet is you will get a wide range of results with the shinny new ones being so much better. This will give you an idea of how much human induced biases are involved in your test as opposed to real performance observations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom