Your Favorite Regulator? How did you decide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'd say there are some small but noticeable differences between regs of the same class.

Possibly the largest of those are induced by the design and/or setting of the Venturi effect in the second stage. The effort of inhalation could stay constant, or drop to zero or even go positive, force feeding air even when you stop sucking. This can be read off an ANSTI chart (the lower part). How much Venturi you want is really up to you.

Then the human factor can also work the other way around, in the sense that you adjust to what you have.

When I started diving I used a AL Calypso, and it worked alright, then I used an ATX200, but did not like the purge on it. Used a bunch of Titans LX and they were quite nice, used some MK25/S600 and like those too. and had a older Oceanic Alpha 7/DX4.

But when it came time to buy my own I purchased a Aqualung Legend LX Supreme and Atomic SS1. The Legend is a great regulator, it works in all environment and the ACD works like a dream.

Works so well that I bought a second one as a spare.

My new favorites are my Hog D1s, the routing on a set of doubles is beautiful.

We knew there would be a lot of HOG lovers... interesting to see some of the progression we've made over the years. thanks for the input... we're still putting together the 'blind test' which won't be exactly scientific due to the fact that we are actually diving with people... but it should be interesting.

I have three reg's and love them all. My Conshelf SE has proved indestructable. I like my Scubapro MK20/G250 as well as my Zeagle 50D.

To me reliability and consistent performance are my most important criteria. Breathing effort comes second. My Conshelf SE hasn't ever had even a hicup over hundreds of dives. That's important.

Of course, I've been doing this a while and thought wing style BC's were the greatest thing since apple pie back in the eighties when many would tell you they would kill you by floating you face down. I still dive with the old US Divers stainless high volume tri-view mask. My first one was black rubber, now silicone. It fits my face so nicely and doesn't crunch my big nose.

OK, it sounds like T210RVR is ... well I'm trying to keep it polite ... HONEST. Except for the part where you said you 'love them all'. Divers are definitely individuals and everyone will have an opinion about something. I am glad to hear you say you like your wings and still use a 'greenhouse' for a face mask. I remember when Farallon came out with those tri-glass and the first models took two breathes to clear. Thanks for the input!

Thanks, Greg. Is the 50 fathom the one Mike Nelson used?

The earliest episodes had Mike Nelson using a Voit VR1 Sportsman (green labeled single stage), which was the same reg as a USD DW Stream Air (immediate predecessor to the USD Mistral).

The majority of episodes have Mike using a Voit 50 Fathom with the blue enamel paint. That particular reg was cataloged in 1959 and 1960. Very appealing to the eye, but tough to keep from chipping the paint.

Greg

I really like sidebreathers, so my favorite regulators are oldies, Cyclon 300 and Omega II.

My single hose favorite is the old Tekna 2100b.........it's light and easy on the teeth and jaws and breathing is astounding........I went to it when I could not get my US Divers Royal Aqua Master repaired in the late 80's....other regulators stress my teeth, jaws and gums..about the 3rd dive of the day....the Tekna? I used it until 5 years ago when I discovered Vintage Scuba Supply and had my RAM rebuilt.......now I dive with the RAM exclusively.

So, I would have to say the RAM is my favorite, even though the Tekna still shines in some areas, however, the Tekna does pull from the right due to the stiff hose, bubbles are in my face on the left side as is the bubble noise.......and one thing about single hose regs, they inflate my wetsuit hood when wearing it, requiring a hole in the top of the hood for bubbles to excape........

My RAM, now fitted with my Mk3 multiport 1st stage body, has none of these issues.......and if I need an additional burst of air after a hard swim, I can roll to one side a bit..........

Forgot about the Tekna, you're right ... damn nice reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom