Your Favorite Regulator? How did you decide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro MK25/D400

Why: I have been diving the same configuration since 1987 and it has never failed me in any way. I won't change my rig until they are no longer making service replacement parts for it. It was bulletproof then and is still now so I see no reason to buy gimmicky junk because its "new".

I did a bunch of diving here for about a year before I decided on a reg for myself. I dive year round on Vancouver Island and wanted something that would work well, I checked what others used for here, applied a bit of skill filter as well. Wanted to make the best measure 2x, cut once choice I could

I choose an A700/Mk25 and it is better than great.

I really like my AL Titan LX. The ACD feature is a dream, and it breathes really well at depth. It's priced well too.

- Sherwood : light, easy to service but can be a little hard to breathe from at depth.

- Apeks : simply the best? Easy to breathe from, light. A little more complex to service if you are planning to do it yourself.

MK25 S600. Most of the local tech divers were recommending this reg & Scubapro is known quality and worldwide service centers.

So I reasoned if it's good enough for the tech diver, it's good enough for me at recreational limits. So I bought it and 150 dives later, I still love it.

Our water temps range from 44-54 F degrees.

I can only speak as I find. I used to be a Scubapro dealer (still am, technically) and sold many Mk25/S600 combos. Used them as rental regulators as well, until after a few comments I tried them myself. I find it inconsistent, requires a lot of tuning, and too prone to freeflow. For my personal deep diving I soon returned to my Poseidon.

As to Scubapro quality, it has plummeted in recent years. I stopped stocking a variety of products when the failure rate became excessive. Uwatec computers in particular, after the dead-out-of-the-box rate passed 50%.

I can only speak as I find. I used to be a Scubapro dealer (still am, technically) and sold many Mk25/S600 combos. Used them as rental regulators as well, until after a few comments I tried them myself. I find it inconsistent, requires a lot of tuning, and too prone to freeflow. For my personal deep diving I soon returned to my Poseidon.

As to Scubapro quality, it has plummeted in recent years. I stopped stocking a variety of products when the failure rate became excessive. Uwatec computers in particular, after the dead-out-of-the-box rate passed 50%.

What do you mean by recent? From which models did you feel the quality dropped.

I found out that the barrel of the S600 is derin n because plastic is less rigid and has more free play, adjusting the S600 can be more difficult like some mares 2nd stage.

SangP

I'm a regulator *****, I don't have a favorite, I have several.

Double Hose = My Phoenix Royal Aqua Master (PRAM) is fantastic. It is everything a double hose should be and as modern as the latest regulator from nearly any manufacturer. Remember a double hose won't freeze in cold water, the exhaust exits behind the diver's head so that video, photo and spearfishing aren't negatively effected, etc, etc. I also really like the USD/Voit/Spiro Downstream single stages: Over Pressure, Stream Air, Mistral, Jet Air, etc. Sweet breathers all.

Vintage Single Hose = Either the AMF Voit/Swimaster MR12-II (a nearly perfect regulator) or the USD Conshelf XIV (an indestructible work horse). Special mention goes to both the SP Pilot (complex but the best breather ever) and the Rose Aviation Pro (the first single hose commercially available in the USA).

Modern Single Hose = Okay, I'm a dinosaur. My favorite modern regulators really aren't too modern. Give me a USD Conshelf SE or SE2, or a Mares Abyss (in several iterations - MR12, MR 22, MR32 or MR 42) and I'm in heaven.

Scubapro MK25/D400

Why: I have been diving the same configuration since 1987 and it has never failed me in any way. I won't change my rig until they are no longer making service replacement parts for it. It was bulletproof then and is still now so I see no reason to buy gimmicky junk because its "new".

Unless you're a time traveler, I'm not sure how you could have been diving a MK25/D400 in 1987, since the MK25 didn't exist until around 2000, and the D400 is listed in the SP museum as beginning in 1994.

In 87 you could have had a MK10/D300, which would be virtually indistinguishable in performance. I bought one a couple of years ago for around $80, and it's one of my favorite regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom