Your thoughts on wetsuit vs Semi dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DueceFire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Which do you consider to be better and why? Pros/cons? how different is a semi-dry from a wetsuit?

Thanks,

-Dueces :peace2:

For anything under 70 degrees I love my semi-dry. Over that and it is entirely too hot. In cool water it is great. If you get one that is properly fitting it will keep you virtually dry the entire dive. I have used mine in water in the 40's as well as on long cave dives and have never gotten cold in it.

For anything under 70 degrees I love my semi-dry. Over that and it is entirely too hot. In cool water it is great. If you get one that is properly fitting it will keep you virtually dry the entire dive. I have used mine in water in the 40's as well as on long cave dives and have never gotten cold in it.

Do you wear any other layers of protection? (aside from gloves and boots) assuming you're diving in 40-60 degree water

Thanks,

-Dueces :peace2:

The way it was put to me was that a semi dry has delicate seals and zips like a dry suit. So I should either just add a layer to my 7mm or save and dive in a dry suit.

I wore a wetsuit today and froze my butt off. The water temp was 48 degrees and I never left the surface while snorkeling. Anything below about 65 degrees and you will find me in a drysuit.

"The best way to save money on a wetsuit, is to buy a drysuit."

Save and get a dry suit. I know that isn't what you asked (forgive me plz) but that is the best advice I can give you on this topic that comes up every day here on SB.

We now give you a free look into the future in an attempt to save you time and money... (dreamy music and smoke effect)

Anyone who considers a semi-dry suit should consider a dry suit and may likely end up buying one anyway down the road if they keep diving frequently. If you are diving in cold water (IMHO anything below 70 degrees) go dry and never look back and avoid buying four wet suits, a semi-dry or two, and then finally a good dry suit like MANY (not all) have done time and again. A decent dry suit can be found for around 500 bucks. I found a brand new pinnacle black ice recently from a dealer in FL for about that price. Be patient and keep looking and consider used as well.

I have two suits, a dry suit and a 3mm full. I use the 3mm full above 75 degrees and the dry suit for the rest.

Best of luck and whatever you buy, take your time and do more diving while you consider what your future needs may be!

I have been using a 5mm semi dry all winter here, lowest temps were 21C, I take photographs and don't move around much, so for me comfort and warmth are a priority, most of my dives are 60mins +

I also wear a hooded vest

Down side is getting in and out of it. Mine has a double rear zipper, so I rely on somebody to zip me up, although I had a major problem in Aqaba last February when my buddy was busy and I asked somebody else to do up the zipper. He was a bit heavy handed and broke the inner zip, turning it into a wetsuit.

I will probably be picking up a Henderson 7mm semi dry front zipper style suit when I am in the US in two weeks.

I have been using a 5mm semi dry all winter here, lowest temps were 21C, I take photographs and don't move around much, so for me comfort and warmth are a priority, most of my dives are 60mins +

I also wear a hooded vest

Down side is getting in and out of it. Mine has a double rear zipper, so I rely on somebody to zip me up, although I had a major problem in Aqaba last February when my buddy was busy and I asked somebody else to do up the zipper. He was a bit heavy handed and broke the inner zip, turning it into a wetsuit.

I will probably be picking up a Henderson 7mm semi dry front zipper style suit when I am in the US in two weeks.

Sounds like luxury to me, I'm diving 16C in a 6mm wetsuit at the moment in Melbourne.

The same suit worked well in the summer. If I started to get hot I just pulled it open to flood more water in.

Fortunately I've got a high tollerance for cold and and I'm usually out of the water within an hour so it hasn't bothered me this far. It'll probably get a few degrees cooler over the next few months so I'm probably goting to get some Sharkskins or similar additional protection to wear under the wetsuit. With a little luck I won't need to go to a semi dry and I'm not keen to pay for a drysuit at this point.

A few of my buddies are diving with 9mm semi-drys at the moment and they're loving it. Fortuantely I'm way tougher than they are... :rocker:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom