• Apeks TX 50/ DS4

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • Apeks TX 100

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 17 17.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT Texas

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help choosing between a Zeagle ZX-DS4 and an Apeks TX-50/DS4. I figure that a lot of ya'll use these Regs and probably got some useful info. This is just for my info so dont ya'll go arguing and bickering over them, but all info would be helpfull. Thanks.

-Josh-

Well, I own the TX50, but I voted for the TX 100. The first stage has great hose routing.

Originally posted by detroit diver
Well, I own the TX50, but I voted for the TX 100. The first stage has great hose routing.

Agree with ya on that one... I've got one TX100 for backgas and the hose routing on it is sweet! As soon as I can afford it I'm getting another one so I'll have a matching set on my doubles!

I also have several other Apeks I use for stages with the DST first, TX50 second. Same internals as the DS4 but with a swivel.

DSAO!!

I'm with WYDT.
Tx-100 and ATX-200 on backgas, DST-1sts on stages with ATX-50 and TX-50 seconds.

I voted for the TX-100; I dive both a Zeagle 50D and a TX-100, and there's a noticeable improvement on the TX-100 especially at depths exceeding 100 ft. As you probably know, the 50D and TX-50 are very alike, as are the Flathead 6 and the TX-100 - Zeagle used to OEM Apeks until a couple years ago. Performance-wise, very similar when comparing apples to apples. I like the hard purge on the Apeks 2nd stage though, rather than the soft rubbery Zeagle 2nd stage on the 50D. The hose routing with the TX-100 is definitely very sweet and looks great, but the non-standard port for the high-flow primary reg can cause some problems if you don't have the adapter for it. I haven't compared performance once you put a 7' hose on another port so it might not be as good (until I get an adapter or the port plug for the high-flow port, the TX-100 is on my left post). I'm gonna get another one when I can afford it.

Just fyi from my own talks with cave and tech divers, they all recommend one of three brands - Apeks, Scuba Pro, and Poseidon. Zeagle might be there in performance tests and will be up there in tech use in a few years too most likely, but as far as battle-tested now, it's one of those three. Poseidon is awesome as far as performance, but historically difficult to maintain from what I've heard. Scuba Pro is terrific as well, but not great for cold water diving. Apeks performs pretty good, probably least well of the three honestly, but has a great track record for reliability and easy service, and I'm told they perform pretty well in cold. I'm not crazy enough to dive where it's cold so I don't know.

Originally posted by trheeltek
the non-standard port for the high-flow primary reg can cause some problems if you don't have the adapter for it. I haven't compared performance once you put a 7' hose on another port so it might not be as good (until I get an adapter or the port plug for the high-flow port, the TX-100 is on my left post).
I have a TX-50 and I switched to a 7 foot hose and couldn't notice any difference in breathing. I have the adaptor for using a 3/8 inch hose on the primary 1/2 inch port but I have my bungeed backup ATX-40 on that port and the long hose primary coming off of the 3/8 inch port on the right side.

I not crazy about it on the Zeagle DS-IV I just bought the wife, but the ZX is a fine second. I have the Flathead-VI/ZX and no complaints as to routing there, (or breathing). Both our rigs are long hose and bungeed backup ZXs. I've only breathed the Apeks 40, so I can't comment on what Apeks offers other than years of proven use. Only reason I got Zeagle is they are just Apeks basic design made in the USA.:iwagima:

tony

I think one factor that would sway people to get Apeks over Zeagle is the wider availability...at least in MN. If I'm not mistaken there are most likely more Aqualung/SeaQuest dealers out there than Zeagle dealers?..(Aqualung/SeaQuest bigger company) therefore Apeks are most likely more widely available. I've also noticed that Zeagle's cost a little more and they aren't available for purchase online at say DiveInn for such great prices like the Apeks. I've seen Leisure Pro and Ebay have the Zeagle ZX Flat Head VI, 50D, DSIV's listed frequently but they cost more than Apeks and arguably aren't much different in performance. Just some of my observations.

you should of added the apeks ATX 200 is excellent !!!!!!!

If you knew the history behind the Zeagle and Apeks lines of regulators you really wouldn't be asking such questions.:doctor:
Zeagle did not reinvent the wheel here they just went proven design both are great regs with some minor diffs, performance is about the same for comparable level of regs - flat head to flathead, 50 to 50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom