• Apeks TX 50/ DS4

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • Apeks TX 100

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 17 17.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you need them for doubles, go with TX100's, but if you're looking at a single tank only, then you can't beat the TX50/DS4 for the price. The second stages are almost identical, and I can't tell the difference in breathing characteristics between the two.

Good luck,

Mike

Wait... are you guys saying that the TX100 first stage coupled with the TX100 second is better than going with a DS4 first and TX100 second?

I thought the DS4 first was superior to the TX100 first?

The TX50 seconds and the TX100 seconds are virtually identical inside. I don't see the TX100 first as being superior to the DS4 in any way other than hose routing for doubles (and that's only minute at best). The DS4 is cheaper and has all standard 3/8" ports, so it has it's points too.

Mike

Lost Yooper once bubbled...
The TX50 seconds and the TX100 seconds are virtually identical inside. I don't see the TX100 first as being superior to the DS4 in any way other than hose routing for doubles (and that's only minute at best). The DS4 is cheaper and has all standard 3/8" ports, so it has it's points too.

Mike

I agree. There isn't much of a difference with the TX100 1st and the DS4. They,re both great regs. I have a couple of both models. DS4s are cheaper!

I have a bunch of Apeks and a bunch of the new Zeagles. I like the Zeagle better. They seem to breath dryer and though it's more subjective than objective I think they breath better.

The Apeks second stage adjustment has a tendancy to get "gritty" or rough. The Zeagle stays as smooth as glass. I have gotten good service from the Apeks but prefer the Zeagle.

I'm shocked... Zeagle/?? breathed better?? dryer?? do you work for them?? It's in your head man....

Apeks all the way. When I purchased My DS4's and ATX50's everything else was handed down or sold on ebay...

Until something else revolutionary comes along, Apeks is the way.

(what do those guys in Indiana know anyway :wink: ? Darn lake divers...)

Good Luck :D

wheezy once bubbled...
I'm shocked... Zeagle/?? breathed better?? dryer?? do you work for them?? It's in your head man....

Apeks all the way. When I purchased My DS4's and ATX50's everything else was handed down or sold on ebay...

Until something else revolutionary comes along, Apeks is the way.

(what do those guys in Indiana know anyway :wink: ? Darn lake divers...)

Good Luck :D

Not just dryer but way dryer. How many Zeagles have you tried? I have two Apeks and I think Five Zeagles.

The Zeagle design is very similar but they made a few changes that seem to be improvements specifically in the second stage and the HP seat in the first stage.

Well something's wrong with those two Apeks you own, because it doesn't get much drier than completely dry??? Which regs are they by the way??? Never heard of an Apeks breathing wet...

Ohhh man.. when I first started diving you would have thought I was sponsored by Zeagle... had the 50D and a Ranger Bc... (first dive shop I found without researching)

switched to Scuba Pro MK20 setup... was a good unit... might have kept it if it had not been stolen

FINALLY got wise and started borrowing / begging / renting all the gear I could...

As my technical diving increased... obviously the "swivel" was out of the question... (maybe a flathead would have been the ticket)
Keep in mind... never said the Zeagles are bad... but BETTER Than APEKS... NO WAY BRO... just not reality

Found out this... For the Diving I DO... the TPII was the ticket for BC's... and the APEKS setup was Light/compact/ and comfy. Not to mention rather easy and inexpensive to overhaul. (And Cheap to add additional setups for doubles and decos)

At 130' 45 degree fsw it breathes PERFECTLY dry and very easy...

They call me a machine at the local dive shop (a story for another time but I had a lot of surgery on my larynx and have both lungs punctured and am VERY susceptible to changes in cracking pressure) I can tell you for sure that the Zeagle in NO way breathes easier or dryer than an APEKS setup..

I now only OWN TWO regs... both APEKS.. no reason to change

ALTHOUGH: The one reg that I tried recently that did seem to breathe a little easier at depth was the new AquaLung Legend LX Supreme... once again it was about 130' and 45degree fsw under a pretty heavy work load..

To each his own I guess... by the way... if the Zeagle's are so good.. why do you need 5 OF THEM???? YIKES... always in for service or what :wink:

wheezy once bubbled...
if the Zeagle's are so good.. why do you need 5 OF THEM???? YIKES... always in for service or what :wink:

Two on my doubles. One on my 50% bottle. One on my O2 bottle. Two for stages and one for backup. Make sense? I have seven regs my wife has a like number.

Five are Zeagles and two are Apeks (Zeagles).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom