Zeagle Ranger BCD to a BP/W changeover ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterdufus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking about changing my Zeagle Ranger LTD BCD (44lb "lift") to a BP/W setup. I read all the BP/W advantages, more streamlined, less bulky to travel with, possibility of shedding some carried weight and so on. My question is this. I've read that I can take some components of my existing BCD ( which is great BTW , 200 + dives ) and buy the "Zeagle plate/harness". I don't really know what I'm talking about yet in terms of the components necessary. My question is would the end product of a Zeagle BCD conversion be worth it, ( sorry Scott ! ) or should I just buy another highly recommended BP/W seperately ? Saving $ is good and I would rather have just one setup that I can use exclusively. I dive dry, cold water, so would like to use this "new" setup for that, but also for warmer water dive trips with my 5 ml . Just recently returned from a warm water trip. As much as I like my BCD, it took up a lot of space in the luggage. If I remember my weights correctly, it also weighs 7 lbs. Any thoughts, comments would be appreciated.

if it matters in this decision making process, dry, salt water with an AL 80, I'm at 34 lbs carried weight
In Coz, new 5 ml with an Al 80, 18lbs.

I started with a Zeagle Stiletto LTD and liked it a lot. When I learned about BP/W I looked at going to a Ranger for its ability to work with a BP, but ultimately decided to get an actual hogarthian BP/W and sell the Zeagle. Zeagle makes a fine BCD, but the whole point of the BP/W rig is its ability to scale to whatever you're doing with a minimum of changes and (b) compatability with all the other standardized rigs. Zeagle does not really do that.

If you can, I suggest trying a standard hogarthian rig by Halcyon, DSS, or HOG and seeing how you like it. If it works for you, sell the Ranger and get a BP/W you like. A steel BP should work equally well for cold and warm water diving; with a single AL80 and a 3mm, I need no extra weight when diving a 6lb SS plate in salt water. With a 5mm, depending on other gear carried and body composition, you'll at least cut down on how much extra ballast you need. As a bonus, you'll avoid the Ranger's inherent buoyancy and shave a few more lbs off the weight belt, too.

I would avoid the AL plates unless you really have to care about the ~4lb difference in luggage weight. They're less durable and only really useful when you're diving massively negative steel doubles without much exposure protection.

If you get Zeagle back plate the only things you will be able to use off of the Ranger are the cam bands and the wing and possibly the cam band pads if you want to use them.
I recently did this because I started diving dry. The Zeagle plate has holes drilled in the right places to attach the Zeagle wing in either a singles or doubles configuration. If you get the plate order the attaching SS machine bolt and nut kit, 8 flat head machine screws and 8 nylock nuts. You can either use a hogarthian harness or (your going to die) a Deluxe harness with quick releases on the shoulder straps. Your choice for harness.

I would recommend just getting a complete setup, and not worry about taking components from your Ranger.
I have a Ranger also, for times when I need to use something other than a BP/W.

Just shop from among the usual BP/W choices.

You've probably already read about many of them.

This might be of some interest:
Installing a Zeagle bladder onto a metal backplate: Installing a Zeagle bladder onto a metal backplate - YouTube

If you want to stay with Zeagle for travel - maybe the new Covert? It's 3.9lbs. Covert - Recreational BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

Express Tech Deluxe is also a Soft plate BP/W design but it's not much lighter than yours. Probably packs smaller. Express Tech Deluxe - Backplate BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

Scott is no longer with Zeagle...:depressed:

My question is this. I've read that I can take some components of my existing BCD ( which is great BTW , 200 + dives ) and buy the "Zeagle plate/harness". I don't really know what I'm talking about yet in terms of the components necessary. My question is would the end product of a Zeagle BCD conversion be worth it, ( sorry Scott ! ) or should I just buy another highly recommended BP/W seperately ?
I will echo several sentiments already expressed. Buy an entirely separate set-up. (If you wish to remain in the Zeagle line, buy a Zeagle BP and wing.) I say that as someone who began with a Ranger (which I still own) but switched long ago to a SS backplate as my primary single (and double) cylinder rig. There is no useful purpose served by trying to cannibalize your Ranger. Yes, you could use the cam bands, but it is probably best to keep the Ranger intact, in case you wish to sell it, or use it as a spare. Yes, you could possibly use the bladder, but it is a HUGE bladder for warm water single cylinder diving.
I would rather have just one setup that I can use exclusively. I dive dry, cold water, so would like to use this "new" setup for that, but also for warmer water dive trips with my 5 ml.
With a SS backplate and harness, you can conceivably get by with a single, 35 lb wing. Personally, I like having a smaller bladder - for warm water single cylinder diving - and a slightly larger one - for cold water drysuit diving. You use the same backplate and harness for both. That modularity is the beauty of a backplate system.
if it matters in this decision making process, dry, salt water with an AL 80, I'm at 34 lbs carried weight . . . In Coz, new 5 ml with an Al 80, 18lbs.
You definitely need to consider a SS backplate. It will take weight off your waist / out of the integrated weight pockets. I was in the same situation - to the extent that I actually damaged some of the seams on my Ranger by shoving in all the weight I needed to dive an AL80 with my drysuit. Go with a simple metal backplate, and a simple unpadded one-piece harness. You will not regret the decision. Either keep your Ranger as a spare, or sell it on eBay. Mine sits forlorn and relatively unused in a closet, although I did pull it out this past summer and dove it several times after a 7 year hiatus. I love the BCD - but it is just too bulky, and too buoyant, for single cylinder diving - wet or dry.

You probably should NOT consider the Express Tech Deluxe, given your current weight requirements. It is a nice unit, but it is a soft backplate. You need to get some of the weight you are carrying onto your back, and off your waist. Going from the Ranger to a SS backplate you will see substantially more than a 6 lb reduction in your weight requirement.

in my novice opinion, get the BP/W separately. Don't try to rig one system into another. While I don't have much diving experience, I do have plenty of experience in trying to rig stuff up to do a different job. Getting the exact tool for the application has always been the way to get the best results IMO. The Ranger LTD is one of the most respected/sought after BCD I've come across in my quest to decide on a good setup for myself. Sell it and you can probably get a top notch BP/W system that you will love for less than the conversion parts you were considering. My $0.02

The Ranger might more valuable to you sold than cobbled onto a BP.

Let me know if you're gonna sell that Ranger. :)

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm not going to tear apart my Ranger, but it's not for sale yet Wheezy :). Will keep it around 'till I sort out the BP/W setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom