Zeagle ZX 50D Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spidershim123:
Zeagle ZX 50D Regulator or the Zeagle ZX Flathead VI Regulator, I was recommended this by a dive shop I went to, they said it's a good regulator for warm and cold water diving which I will be doing. Any opinions?

If you do not want the swivel but you want something cheaper than the flathead, go with the ZX-DSV instead.
I have been diving it in cold water (as low as 42F) and I had no problem, it breathes really easily.

In my opinion, the DSV compare to the Apeks ATX 50 and the flathead to the ATX 200.
I also do not think that you will be able to tell the difference between the two even at depth.

The only consideration if you have to choose between Zeagle and Apeks, is servicing issue around the world. It is my understanding (I have no personnal experience there) that Zeagle does not have the same presence around the world as apeks do. Can someone confirm or denied?

If you go to the zeagle website, you can print out a .pdf info sheet on each reg, which will tell you the differences between each of them.

As far as servicing around the world, Zeagle recently recieved CE certification, which means that you should see more and more Zeagle regs in foreign markets.

Scott

Aqua Ho:
What is the actual difference in the first stages, the web site is pretty vague on their description.

DST vs. FSR vs. FST?

Are you still talking about the Zeagles because those are the Apeks first stages. Basically each one improves on the other's airflow characteristics.

Aqua Ho:
No in that case I was asking about the Apeks regs......as mentioned already their site is very vague on features and benefits.

Please explain the diff!http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/Standard Smiles/04.gif
The DST is the Swivel turret first stage, providing the same features of the DS4 with the addition of the turret and the extra Hp port.
the FST (ATX100) provides a similar design to that of the DST except with angled ports, and enlarged primary high flow port, and reduced number of internal turns which results in a little bit of reduced breathing effort and better air flow.
The FSR first stage further improves on the FST by again improving internal air flowin the first stage and reducing the distance of traval. You can take a look at some of the technical diagrams on the site for a visual impression.

Ok thanks, now it makes sense......so then the ATX100 is the one with the FST 1st stage while the ATX200 is with the FSR first?! Correct?
Which is the better bang for the buck?

I am not sure on current pricing on the 100 as I am pretty sure that it is not readily available in North America and has to be ordered from Europe. Take a look at the prices from where you will be buying as tell us here. Then we can give some better feedback
As a stupid comparison Diveinn offers the 200 for $445 and the 100 for $406. Keep in mind that those are $US and online prices. It depends on what you are using it for. For conventional single tank rigging I think that in this case I would go to the 200 for the very little extra.
I don't want to stray and tell you something other than what you want like others will do and it is not because it is what I dive, but if you want my honest opinion, if I had a choice, I would look at the ATX50-DST/DS4 with a ATX40 for the octo.
Canadian prices will vary. Here is a link to the only shop in our area that sells Apeks stuff. Good guys. And they make great packages.
ATX200 Aqualung prices arenot online, but call them and they will help you out. Let me know what you hear.

rescuediver009:
as I am sure you know they are former Apeks clones. So take everything that you have heard about the Apeks TX series of regs and apply it to Zeagle, tack on a Made in USA sticker and a conical HP seat and you have a zeagle. Reliable. Parts for life. good warranty. Excellent cold and warm water. Flathead is the Apeks 100/200 and the 50D is the Apeks TX 50 with DST first stage. Exact same.

What's the advantage of the conical HP seat?

jonnythan:
What's the advantage of the conical HP seat?

It greatly decreases the wear and tear on the hp seat. I am not one for analyzing failure points, but it kind of eliminates or at least greatly decreases the risk of a problem with the seat. Also a conventional hp seat works the same as an LP seat. A semi-soft rubber-plastic material is forced into a metal cone, and seals.
A conical hp seat works by itself being the hard material and wedging itself into a conical hole. thus it creates next to no wear on the seat itself and is self centering if you are following my giberrish. Although a crappy material here is a link of what a conical seat looks like (http://taucher.net/edb/aus_show_det...orie=Atemregler). It is off a Mares ruby from another thread (http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=76148&page=2), notice the chip. But anyways, itwedges itself into a cone which is softer material. this creates the seal. Is that kinda helpful at least. Scott zeagle will likely be able to elaborate a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom