Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey NetDoc,

Just got my ET today and I know you have done hundreds of dives on yours. How long did the old school type weight belt buckle last. I chose that style vs the snap together buckle of the deluxe model for less junk to break or be in the way, and to weigh less. I ask because I don't like the single bar attachment of the buckle an was thinking about adding a more traditional double bar buckle. I do like the gripper on the buckle that comes with it though, with all the teeth it has.

I'm also pondering whether I should put my old rip cord weight system bags that went on the rear of the waist strap from my 10 year old zeagle bc on the tech. Anyone have experience with destinations not having old school belt weights. I use a belt on my boat so I can free dive easily with it too. I had the rip cord bags sitting in the closet. When I lived in Virgin Islands one shop didn't have any on the boat so I put the bean bags in my wetsuit. Why travel with more gear/weight than necessary right especially one a month trip to central America or something. The ripcord pouches will add another 1/2 lb, on top of D rings, larger 40 lb bladder, etc. It's easy to add another lb to your bc quick. I'm going to change to the plastic D rings and belt bars.

What are your guys thoughts about the belt buckle life, and weight system while traveling?

Elena had a client yesterday that was all over the place: she wore 22 pounds and was so uncomfortable that it was hard to get her down. Today we but her in a Deluxe ET with the weight pouches, and was able to take 4 pounds off of her. Also, instead of a weight belt, she had integrated weights. The difference was night and day. After an hours dive on the same reef (City of Washington wreck), she surfaced with 2,000 instead of 600 psi. Wow. She went from out of control to nice form with a great fitting BC. That's the best part of the ET. The infinitely adjustable system allows it to instantly conform to different body types and enable trim right off. It was good to see.

I dove my modified version of the Express Tech in Vortex Springs today. I am very comfy with this in a side mount configuration. Tomorrow, I dive the Deluxe version for the very first time at Cypress Springs. This should be a fun test of it.
Please show us some pic of sidemounting with the ET

Hello everyone,

May I know if the wing for the ET can be mounted on other backplates, say, one from Dive Rite? Also, do I need an STA? Thank you.

Anyone able and willing to comment on the advantages of the ET deluxe vs. the ET?

never mind...I found the answer many pages back

Where might that answer be? I read the whole thread and couldn't find a real "ET deluxe vs. the ET" part.

I'm definitely getting one, I just don't know which version or which bladder I'm going for. It's either going to be the 30lb donut bladder or the 35lb U shaped "stilleto" bladder.
I'm very much leaning towards the theluxe version because it seems easier to take it on and off, and I need that for my DM training AND! I'll need it if I go on to become an instructor to show that skill to students. It's a piece of cake with a jacket BCD and I want it to be a piece of cake with the ET as well.
I'll also go for padding because I end up carrying other people's gear and cylinders while wearing my own gear, so the extra comfort on the shoulders is nice (I actually considered the diverite transpac harness because of this).
I'd be getting the ripcord weight system with it, and just in case I need it after all probably a crotch strap as well.
I'd like to get one or two pockets I can put on the lower (waist) belt to put some gear in, like a slate, pencil and/or an extra weight.

Right now I dive overweighted so that I can give extra weights to other people (which I need to do on occasion: "yeah, I think I'll try it with one kilo less this time".... me walks to the weight basket to get an extra weight...)
I also dive deep (52 max so far) and plan to dive a bit deeper. There is a nice wreck here at about 55-60 meters.
Also, some of the places here can have strong down currents.
Because of these reasons I am thinking about a bigger bladder.
Don't confuse this with what Zeagle is calling the Ranger bladder used for the Express Teck.
THIS bladder is coverless and tucked in by bungys. It looks smaller than it's lift rating would indicate. When inflated it expands against the bungy It is very light weight, sleek on the bc and packs small.
Minimum the 30lb donut, but will that be enough? And if I go for the 35lb or the 44lb, since they are not donut shaped, do they have dump valves on both sides? I can't find any reference images to check it out.... anyone? And if not, can you get different bladders elsewhere that ARE donut shaped and fit to the backplate?

And will I be able to add some extra D rings on the harness with the deluxe version? (it looks like you can remove the shoulder straps, but again, no clear reference images)

So short version: I'm thinking about the ET deluxe (which I can convert to regular with some webbing), with the ripcord weight system, a pocket or two, shoulder and backpads. For the bladder I haven't decided, and I do not know how much lift I will really need. I prefer the donut shape, but I am new to diving and will want to use this BCD in a lot of places. I am 1.90m, weight 90Kg and use 4 or 5 Kg weight. Right now I dive warm water, but that might change in the future.

So what do you think? ET deluxe with extra D rings and which bladder?

I bought the standard ET and after a year bought the Deluxe harness kit. I prefer it to the standard harness. I locked the webbing at the lower loops with a tri-glide and use the waist and shoulder buckles for the adjustments. I like to be able to unbuckle a shoulder strap to get out but very seldom do.
I have 4 SS D rings 1 on each side of the chest and 1 on each side of the waist band.
The Deluxe harness will give you 4 plastic D rings 1 each on the ends of the shoulder strap buckles and 1 each on each side of the waist buckle.

I realy like that the Deluxe harness gives you a fixed point on each side to connect the chest straps. The chest strap makes the ET more comfortable and stable for me.

I bought my ET with the 24# wing not knowing that I could get a bigger wing, mistake on my part. The 24# wing is not big enough when I dive in cold water so I have to use the 44# wing from my Ranger, way to big. Just picked up a 34# wing that should be perfect for my cold water diving and I'll put the 24# on when I dive warm. I would get a 30 to 35# wing, the difference in weight and packing should be minamal.

As far as padding goes I have the Padding kit but never use the back pad and probably do not need the shoulder pads if I am diving with any thermal protection they just help hold othere things in place.

Thanks, that helped.
I decided on a set:
deluxe version with ripcord system, shoulder and backpadding, crotch strap, 30lb donut bladder...
Now for the hard part: Where can I actually buy this? I've spend all the time between dives today looking for stores where I can buy it, but the cheapest place (leisurepro) is out of stock and won't let you choose the bladder. the only place I found so far that let's you customize it is Zeagle Express is the most complete source for everything Zeagle Systems makes and the configuration costs 501 dollar! For that price I can easily go for something else like the zeagle scout/stilleto or aeris lite or whatever that is called. Or find the needed separate parts and build one by myself.
Anyone know of a place that has a good price for this one?

If all else fails, maybe I just go for the standard one and customize the hell out of it over time.... but I'd rather start with the deluxe harness...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom