Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there much difference between the 24" and 35" bladder in terms of size, comfort and packing away for travel?

I'll mainly dive in warm waters, I'm 170cm tall and weigh 70kg.

I can't choose between the two bladders. I think I read somewhere that you'll notice a big difference for the better, with diving a smaller bladder.

what do you think of the ranger by zeagle, looking at it as my first and last?

Nothing wrong with the Ranger IF that is what you need in a BC. It is tough, dependable and will last a long time. That said, most people do not need 44lbs of lift or the double thick bladder or the heavy duty harness unless you are diving cold water with large tanks. It's a poor choice as a travel BC being over 9 lbs dry and it takes up a lot of room in a suit case. With todays weight and luggage restrictions, that makes it very undesireable for travel use.

Forget the BS about owning only 1 BC, it's not really pratical for most divers if they travel and their diving ranges widely. I dive everything from 90 deg water with just a swim suit to 50 deg water in a dry suit, sure I could press a BC like the Ranger (and did for several years) into doing all those dives but bottom line is, it is not optimal to do so.

If you dive large tanks in cold water, the Ranger is a good choice. If you intend to dive in cold and warm water, something in the mid range is a better choice and if you just dive warm water then a ligher BC is in order. If you go from one extreme to the other, the best option is 2 BCs, one optimized at each end of the specturm and use the one best suited to the dive for the ones on the middle.......and NO one BP/wing will not do it all either for the same reasons that any other BC will not do it all.

Is there much difference between the 24" and 35" bladder in terms of size, comfort and packing away for travel?

I can't choose between the two bladders. I think I read somewhere that you'll notice a big difference for the better, with diving a smaller bladder.

The difference is not huge but if you do not need the larger bladder why buy it? Every gram (ounce) counts in air travel and every mm (inch) of extra material creates unneeded drag and waste energy. In warm water, properly weighted you should need very little lift. Remember it is a buoyancy COMPENSATAOR, not a hold up a bunch of extra weight and other unneeded crap compensator. The buoyancy shift during the dive is all that you need to compensate for. With no wetsuit that amount is just the air used from your tank or about 1.8kg (4 lbs) for a standard 80 cf tank, so even a 11kg (25 lb) bladder is way more than you need. The BC does need to be able to keep your gear afloat if you intergrated the weights into the BC but in warm water there is no reason you should need 11 kg of weight....I don't use that much in a dry suit.

Unless you are going to need the extra buoyancy stick with the 24. I have the 24 and it is more than enough buoyancy for warm water. I am 190 and weigh 90Kg. I start a dive holiday with between 4 and 5 kg's and after a week I will be diving with 3 or 3.5 Kgs.

Note that the bladder on a Ranger BC is inside a bladder cover and it is bulky but extreemly bullet-proof.
Don't confuse this with what Zeagle is calling the Ranger bladder used for the Express Teck.
THIS bladder is coverless and tucked in by bungys. It looks smaller than it's lift rating would indicate. When inflated it expands against the bungy It is very light weight, sleek on the bc and packs small.
I wish I could weigh the two on a scale. There's not much difference.

So I'm getting my Express in a few days, wooo!!

Now thinking about weight options. I wear 10lbs of weight in warm water with a 3mm full wetsuit.

I'm looking at XS scuba tank weight pocket - probably just one but maybe two as there are 2 tank belts. Then get two XS scuba weight pockets to go on the cumberband around the waist. All pockets hold 5lbs each.

What do other people when using these weight pockets? Have 2 on the tank or one? I was thinking of a triangle shape (two pockets on waist band then one on the tank).

I'm getting a crotch strap so I can't wear a weight belt.

So I'm getting my Express in a few days, wooo!!

Now thinking about weight options. I wear 10lbs of weight in warm water with a 3mm full wetsuit.

I'm looking at XS scuba tank weight pocket - probably just one but maybe two as there are 2 tank belts. Then get two XS scuba weight pockets to go on the cumberband around the waist. All pockets hold 5lbs each.

What do other people when using these weight pockets? Have 2 on the tank or one? I was thinking of a triangle shape (two pockets on waist band then one on the tank).

I'm getting a crotch strap so I can't wear a weight belt.

I'm diving the express tech with crotch strap (although the strap has a quick release). I need quite a bit of weight (hopefully to improve in time) - 20lbs. I put 6 lbs in two cam pockets to be symmetrical and the rest of a weight belt. I have the weight belt over top my crouch strap at the request of an instructor who wanted weights to be easily ditchable (the two in the back have quick releases). When I was just testing my weight I had 8 lbs in each cam pocket and found it pulled if I ever was sideways looking at something. The further the weight is from your core the more it'll pull (this force is known as a moment - reducing moment reduce effort to change direction).

I might end up with a SS backplate to take some weight off my belt. The other item I may consider is pockets that attach to the back plate.

I think you are missing the best part of the experience of diving the Express Tech.
The crotch strap, rear trim weights and weight belt get the job done for you but the rig will dive better and you will like it much better if you swap the 519-WS 130 Ripcord weight system onto the BC and leave the rest of the kit at home.
The WS 130 allows the integrated weights to hold the bladder/backplate down on your lower back when you keep the belly strap low on your gut, where you would wear the weight belt you no longer need.
The difference is the weights hanging over your hips hold the BC down and stop it from moving around during the dive. The opposite of what happens when you get most of your weight behind your back with a SS plate, "Trim" weights and /or a steel tank.

If you are having roll or wobble problems you may want to consider moving your trim weights to your chest, this moves more of your weight below your center of gravity when horizontal lowering the center of gravity and stopping any tendency to turn turtle.

I think you are missing the best part of the experience of diving the Express Tech.
The crotch strap, rear trim weights and weight belt get the job done for you but the rig will dive better and you will like it much better if you swap the 519-WS 130 Ripcord weight system onto the BC and leave the rest of the kit at home.
The WS 130 allows the integrated weights to hold the bladder/backplate down on your lower back when you keep the belly strap low on your gut, where you would wear the weight belt you no longer need.
The difference is the weights hanging over your hips hold the BC down and stop it from moving around during the dive. The opposite of what happens when you get most of your weight behind your back with a SS plate, "Trim" weights and /or a steel tank.

That was the plan but I couldn't get the ripcord system in time. I thought I might have gotten away with the cam pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom