Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your weight system doesn't extend forward around your hip point the weights won't hold the rig stable and down on you when you turn, and the rig won't turn when you rotate in the water column.
Any trim weights you wear behind you on the tank bands will detract from the feeling of being locked into the rig.
If you have a properly fitted Ranger or Stiletto and are diving a single tank I don't think there's any need for use of a harness for rec diving.
I dive steel tanks exclusively, and I don't use the trim weight pockets on my Stiletto at all. I removed them so the Roll Controll tank holders (highly recomended) on my boat will hold better.

I have the same problem if I have weights on the cam bands especially if I am using steel tanks. The best solution is to keep your weights in-front of your hips to too put your center of gravity closer to your center or in-front of you when you are horizontal.

Hey all,

My apology if this was covered in this thread, but I didn't see it: why is the lower tank strap so much longer/looser than the higher one? I tested my new BC in the pool today. I was pressed for time, so I didn't fight with it, but I could only get the AL80 attached via the top band. The bottom one was quite loose and really didn't do much other than keep the bottom of the tank from swaying.

It was plenty well attached, but I don't understand why the lower one is so different?

Thanks,

Ben

Have a close look at the strap closer, they are fully adjustable so you should be able to fit any tank diameter.
The adjstment should be in the manual, if not obvious then ask and I can post some pictures

Hey all,

My apology if this was covered in this thread, but I didn't see it: why is the lower tank strap so much longer/looser than the higher one? I tested my new BC in the pool today. I was pressed for time, so I didn't fight with it, but I could only get the AL80 attached via the top band. The bottom one was quite loose and really didn't do much other than keep the bottom of the tank from swaying.

It was plenty well attached, but I don't understand why the lower one is so different?

Thanks,

Ben

Hey all,

Thanks,

Ben
Just get the straps wet and they will slide to fit the tank like any other cam band.

Have a close look at the strap closer, they are fully adjustable so you should be able to fit any tank diameter.
The adjstment should be in the manual, if not obvious then ask and I can post some pictures

Okay, thanks -- I'll play with it in Cozumel next week and see if I can figure it out. Mine didn't come with a manual, but just knowing that it's supposed to be workable will inspire me to figure it out, I hope!

After 8 ocean dives, the Express Tech is starting to feel right. My weighting is dialed in and I have good trim and buoyancy. I will probably get another 5-6 dives on it here in San Diego before taking it to Thailand in February . . . and dialing it in yet again, this time for warm water.

The only quibble I have with the rig is that it is sold without a crotch strap. IMO, it is a requirement, not an option. My LDS only had the 1", so that is what I have and it works okay.

Just got back from a USVI trip where I used my ET for the first time. I really liked the minimalism of the Express Tech. I have only used a jacket style BCD in the past so the simplicity of the ET was welcome. I felt very stable and unrestricted. My only issue was (as others have mentioned) that it had a tendency to ride up quite often in the water. Since I'm using a DIN reg with a yoke adapter, this caused my head to be pushed by the reg when I tried to look forward while horizontal. This issue has been addressed here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/zeagle/361214-express-tech-tank-too-high.html so I will try one of these options for next time. The ET could get expensive unless you keep it in it's basic form. The basic rig is about $250, which is nice, but I added shoulder pads, Rip-cord weight system, D-rings, Zeagle sport-utility pockets, and a DSS steel buckle to replace the included plastic one. Now I'm around the $400 mark. This is, however, still cheaper than most BC's you can find. Of course, you could do without that stuff and keep it cheap and light. I was glad I had integrated weights, pockets, and the steel buckle. Could have done without the shoulder pads but they're nice. I also consider the D-rings I put on the shoulders and waist to be a must. Overall, I really liked the ET and I'm anxious to use it again. Will probably stick with my Aqualung Pro-QD for IDC and instruction though since the jacket BCD seems to be the standard for new divers. That issue has been discussed here too so I know there are various opinions on the matter. For travel and/or your primary rig, go for the ET.

I am a newly certified OW diver. Since I had some buoyancy issues in training my first priority is to acquire my own BCD and practice a lot in relatively safe conditions; where I live that means shore dives with 7mm wetsuit and probably more than 30 lbs of weight. I'm really interested in the Express Tech because I get to travel a good bit and clearly it's perfect for that. But is it practical, even with the 35 lb bladder, for my local conditions? In training we used an integrated BCD plus weight belt but due to the crotch strap it sounds like a weight belt is not an option with the Express Tech. If I use the 30-lb ripcord system and some tank or other fixed weights will I be OK, or is this a bad idea? I just don't have enough experience to know, and the folks at my LDS are not familiar with the Express Tech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom