Dive freedom == no wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait until you accidentally brush against jellyfish & hydroids.

We just had a guest aboard that swears by Seasafe sunscreen. This product claims to be, reef friendly and protects against jellyfish and sea lice. Not sure about hydroids? She didn't have any stings around her legs, but then again she wasn't close to the reef.

Did a night dive in Cozumel last June in only board shorts. It was a full moon and the blood worms were thick. When I got back on the boat everyone was looking at me freaking out. I had worms stuck all over my chest hair. A quick dip back in got rid of most of them. On my next night dive I will be wearing something.

It doesn't have to be Germans. The local DM in Key Largo did that back in July. If you travel around the world often enough, the Americans with junk foods, drive-in shops, etc., life style, are more overweight than the Europeans, where people do a lot more walking & bicycling, instead of driving. Especially where I'm in Houston, Texas, not a good life style to follow.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be Germans. The local DM in Key Largo did that back in July. If you travel around the world often enough, the Americans with junk foods, drive-in shops, etc., life style, are more overweight than the Europeans, where people do a lot more walking & bicycling, instead of driving. Especially where I'm in Houston, Texas, not a good life style to follow.
Nationality doesn't matter. The issue is whether when looking at someone from the front you are not sure if they are naked or not is not an appetizing sight.

In January I'll go to Thailand, I can't wait to try diving in a rashguard and shorts! Since I only use 2-3kg with 3mm full suit, I recon I'll not need weight belt at all :)

When I was in Europe earlier this year I cannot recall seeing a single obese person who was not a tourist. Cycling is not recreation or sport as it is here, it is basic transportation. Younger people ride up and down the hills, older people push the bike up the hill and coast down. They were not wearing cycling gear either but their street cloths, no helmets or knee pads. I did some some hipster types smoking as they went past in a blur.

IMG_2450_zpszjcuwtr7.jpg

I got mixed up getting to the airport due to my business colleague getting us lost :wink:, I knew we had made it when I got to the gate and there were nothing but fat people, yippee, the correct gate :).

I bought a wet suit when I was 14 and out grew it until I had cut all the arms and legs off to extend it's useful life, a luxury item then. We dived in tee shirts and cutoffs. Love diving in just a rash guard, love being wet. If the water is warm the rubber is gone, I hate wet suits. Key Largo is like bathwater in the summer. And I am usually wetter above than below. Ditch the SCUBA Steve uniform.

N

Last edited:
Nothing more than a rash shirt for me in the last 400 plus dives.....76 and above I'm comfy as can be. Colder, I go golfing :)

Hoping that the Red Sea will be warm enough for wetsuit free diving but taking my 3mm suit anyway. Should be about about 27/28 C on top going down to about 25 at depth from what I have seen.

Beats 8-14C here

Back
Top Bottom