1 BCD 2 divers: Is it okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might do it in a friend's pool just to show them what SCUBA is like and to get them interested in it, but not without giving them a crash course of training first

You are not an instructor...DO NOT attempt what you stated here. Any thing happens and you can be held liable. You should know better, being that you are certified, that you are not to teach/loan any gear out to uncetified people. You can kill them in less than 4' of water.

You are not an instructor...DO NOT attempt what you stated here. Any thing happens and you can be held liable. You should know better, being that you are certified, that you are not to teach/loan any gear out to uncetified people. You can kill them in less than 4' of water.

Thank you, but I'll decide on that risk.

I might do it in a friend's pool just to show them what SCUBA is like and to get them interested in it, but not without giving them a crash course of training first

I may have thought this way before I read Diver Down. I'd have to agree with the Instructor on this point.
One of the strategies for survival in Diver Down is never let an uncert diver dive and or use your equipment.

You can't "decide on the risk" for someone else, and being untrained, they're not qualified to judge the risk either.

flots

They know the risk. They helped me study by quizzing me over the pressure related injuries section of the test. After reading off "NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH" a few times over with the awesome potential symptoms of "Bloody froth from the mouth", I'm beyond sure they know it. Just in case they don't, I intend to drill it into their head about 6 dozen times over. But, it's a 13 ft pool. I think there's less risk with 1 on 1 then there was with 15 students + 2 instructors who were often busy with something.

SCUBA police, begone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this needs a "lighten up Francis" moment..

Would I let my 12 year old breath underwater off my second stage in a 6' deep swimming pool - Yes did it prior to when he got certified last summer..

Would I take a 12 Year old or 24 year old underwater in a lake / ocean / quarry ect and let them breath of my second stage - Hell No...

I think this needs a "lighten up Francis" moment..

Would I let my 12 year old breath underwater off my second stage in a 6' deep swimming pool - Yes did it prior to when he got certified last summer..

Would I take a 12 Year old or 24 year old underwater in a lake / ocean / quarry ect and let them breath of my second stage - Hell No...

My frame of thought exactly.

Except in my case, it's a 23-year old med student.

Liability and such aside, if the person helped you review the book and got into med school I'd figure they understood the risks too.

Last edited by a moderator:
They know the risk. They helped me study by quizzing me over the pressure related injuries section of the test. After reading off "NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH" a few times over with the awesome potential symptoms of "Bloody froth from the mouth", I'm beyond sure they know it. Just in case they don't, I intend to drill it into their head about 6 dozen times over. But, it's a 13 ft pool. I think there's less risk with 1 on 1 then there was with 15 students + 2 instructors who were often busy with something.

SCUBA police, begone.

It's kinda like a 16-year old teaching another 16-year old how to drive.

I'd question just how much of the risks you do know. But no scuba police here ... as divers, we're all responsible for our own decisions. As long as nothing unexpected happens, you might be fine ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2012 at 02:17 PM ----------

Liability and such aside, if the person helped you review the book and got into med school I'd figure they understood the risks too.

... there's a big difference between reading something and understanding what it means. Most OW books sugar-coat risks pretty heavily ... some more so than others. What happens if med student sucks in a bit of water, gaks and bolts for the surface not even realizing he's holding his breath? I've seen it happen faster than most moderately experienced divers can even process what's going on.

It's a risk. It's his right to assume the risk. But don't even pretend that he knows what the risks are ... if all he's got is OW training, he's barely scratched the surface on that subject. The reality is that most of us took risks in our first 50 dives that we wouldn't even consider after a few hundred more ... once we got to the point where we truly understood the risks we were taking back then ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SNUBA is commonly done at many tourist locations with no BCD, sharing one air air tank for 2 divers.

The mitigating factors are you are depth limited by the hose, in warm water (no exposure protection rocket you to the surface) and you have a dedicated / well trained DM watching your every movement ready to rescue the errant novice diver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom