13 cuft pony for duck dives. Is it possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so i'm in the middle of a project that i've had on my mind for a very long time. Basically, i want to sling a 13ft pony w/ regulator under my arm for snorkeling/lobster diving. The plan is to do normal snorkeling, with a light weight belt, and do normal freediving descents and ascents while holding my breath. And then, when i find a spot that i want to explore, i can dive down and get a few minutes of bottom time, and then ascend. I know i will be positively buoyant, but that's ok, i will be holding on to the rock because of the surge anyways. I am going to practice with it in a pool first, and need to get good switching between holding my breath on the normal duck dives, and breathing during ascent with the pony.

I know this idea is unorthodox, but that's the way i think. Please don't bash this just because it's different, i want some real, constructive criticism. I'm fully prepared for this idea not to be feasible, and I put safety first. Thanks for the advice in advance!

You need to weight yourself so that you are neutral at about 10 ft under the surface. You also need to be extremely careful to breath out.

i only take the snorkel out right before i go down. I use it normally at the surface, take a breath, and spit it out of my mouth as i am starting downwards. That's only so that i can get a breath easier when i get back to the surface.

Learn to clear your snorkel. It used to be part of basic dive training. When snorkeling, keep the snorkel in your mouth. Clear it as you surface. With purge valve snorkels, this is a trivial thing to do.

I think you mainly need to learn how to snorkel better, rather than thinking up a hare-brained technical solution.

Learn to clear your snorkel. It used to be part of basic dive training. When snorkeling, keep the snorkel in your mouth. Clear it as you surface. With purge valve snorkels, this is a trivial thing to do.

I think you mainly need to learn how to snorkel better, rather than thinking up a hare-brained technical solution.

Why would you use a purge snorkel for hunting near rocks??? Purge snorkels have a BAD tendency to fold during ascent. When a purge snorkel is bucked at the bottom (which can happen frequently around rocks) the tendency to fold or remain buckled on ascent increases. :shakehead:

A stiff J snorkel will not buckle under rocks or fold on ascent. :D

FYI, I use an Omer Zooom snorkel. Standard J snorkel, curves around head for lower profile around structure (reef and/or rocks), the tube is stiff so it will not buckle.

BTW, I can clear this snorkel easier and 3X faster than any purge snorkel.
It is easier (i.e. work of breathing cycle- exhale and inhale) and faster because there are no dead spots (i.e. purge reservoir, ribs, baffles) though the barrel of the tube.

I would suggest a Rapid Diver with a 30cf steel tank. It's ultra light and would give you more than enough air for what you want to do.

Diving%20at%20the%20Florida%20Aquarium_jpg.jpg

Photo courtesy of Rapid Diver Compact Scuba Systems.​

I would suggest a Rapid Diver with a 30cf steel tank. It's ultra light and would give you more than enough air for what you want to do.

Diving%20at%20the%20Florida%20Aquarium_jpg.jpg

Photo courtesy of Rapid Diver Compact Scuba Systems.​

NetDoc, is that a pic you took? That looks like Casey from the Florida Aquarium.

NetDoc, is that a pic you took? That looks like Casey from the Florida Aquarium.
It probably is... I linked it to a pic off of the Rapid Diver site (as I so noted). I don't have a picture of me in MY Rapid Diver yet, or else I would have used that.

Hi ,had same idea.started snorkeling for fishing lures than got OW cert. and started diving. However still snorkel and rigged vintage bcd with mouth infleter and 14 cf tank for carrying to the end of long docks than go in. Rigged the 14 cf as a bale out tank. Still here,anyway xs scuba makes a pony tank harness that looks cool. I think it is set up for rescue divers,boat races and so on. If you are not cert. yet its alot of fun. Always exhale on accent

Why would you use a purge snorkel for hunting near rocks??? Purge snorkels have a BAD tendency to fold during ascent.

I've never seen it.

When a purge snorkel is bucked at the bottom (which can happen frequently around rocks) the tendency to fold or remain buckled on ascent increases. :shakehead:

Huh? There is no difference in design between the purge snorkel I have now, and the snorkel I had before it, with the exception of the purge built into the mouthpiece. There is a little more drag, theoretically.

A stiff J snorkel will not buckle under rocks or fold on ascent. :D

My purge snorkel is as stiff as a J snorke. Never had the buckling/folding problem. I'm dumfounded that you consider that a problem.

FYI, I use an Omer Zooom snorkel. Standard J snorkel, curves around head for lower profile around structure (reef and/or rocks), the tube is stiff so it will not buckle.

BTW, I can clear this snorkel easier and 3X faster than any purge snorkel.
It is easier (i.e. work of breathing cycle- exhale and inhale) and faster because there are no dead spots (i.e. purge reservoir, ribs, baffles) though the barrel of the tube.

For each his own. I haven't seen any negatives of the purge snorkel over the conventional snorkel I used to own. If I did, I would go back to the conventional one.

I've never seen it.

Hopefully you won't.

Huh? There is no difference in design between the purge snorkel I have now, and the snorkel I had before it, with the exception of the purge built into the mouthpiece. There is a little more drag, theoretically.

Most purge snorkels have soft silicon (so you can fold them) between the barrel and the mouthpiece. This is where a snorkel will buckle (directly underneath the barrel).

My purge snorkel is as stiff as a J snorke. Never had the buckling/folding problem.

Some purge snorkels have a stiff barrel to the mouthpiece, these will not fold.
All purge snorkels have a purge. When the purge fails, you suck water. That defeats the purpose of a snorkel to begin with.

I'm dumfounded that you consider that a problem.

I'm not the only one that considers it a problem. Most freedivers do.

For each his own. I haven't seen any negatives of the purge snorkel over the conventional snorkel I used to own. If I did, I would go back to the conventional one.

Then keep diving your purge snorkel.

Some purge snorkels have a stiff barrel to the mouthpiece, these will not fold.
All purge snorkels have a purge. When the purge fails, you suck water. That defeats the purpose of a snorkel to begin with.

I think the purge valve failure is an almost myth. I have had the same Tabata purge snorkel since 1987. I abuse it, I beach snorkel with it quite a bit. If any purge were liable to failure, I would have gotten a failure. I haven't so far.

Then keep diving your purge snorkel.

I will. I still don't understand the buckling problem. I have never witnessed it with quality snorkels (have seen it on kid's snorkels).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom