2 incidents that occurred a week apart last summer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverAmy

Prism2 CCR Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Background info: (feel free to skip this section, if you just want to get to the meat and bones of the near misses and lessons learned)

I live in S. FL less than a mile from the Atlantic Ocean. I started diving in the spring of 2008. I always wanted to be a diver but couldn't get it together until I was 45 years old, just earned another degree, and was between full-time jobs. I went online to research certification and found PADI's online OW course. Being somewhat internet savvy, educated, and anxious, I signed up that night and immediately began the course. I worked on it for about 24 straight hours and the next thing I knew I had completed it and was being directed to call a local dive shop to set up my pool and ocean dives. Within 2 weeks of that night I was PADI OW certified. My ocean dives where boat dives from two local (Pompano Beach) dive operator's boats. I started my new "career" as a recreational diver. I did about 2-4 dives per week for that summer, always off of boats, always off the Ft. Lauderdale to Boynton Beach coast. By mid-summer it was advised that I pursue my AOW cert from PADI, so I did. This time I bought the crew pack. By this time I had been paired off with an assortment of excellent divers and incompetent boobs, as well as very infrequent vacation divers. I made a few friends who I tried to dive with regularly. I made friends with a few boat captains, DMs, and dive operators. I was (and am) a very cautious/slow progressor in my diving. I repeated many dives until I felt that I knew them inside out and outside in. By last summer I had about 300 dives completed. I had done a few liveaboards and some vacation diving of my own. I had gotten my three adult sons and their partners certified. I rarely dove "alone" anymore (or needed to be buddied up with a stranger). I know, a lot of background.

Incident #1:

My middle son and I were on a 2-tank boat dive. This was about his 15th post-cert dive and about my 300th. It was dive #1 and a wreck dive (I don't recall which). He was in front of me on the anchor line descending. I was at about 20-30 foot depth. There was a minor current. Viz was about 50-60 feet. He was about 10 feet away from me. I noticed that I couldn't draw a breath from my regulator. I recalled checking that my air was on and the boat guy rechecking it before I jumped. I quickly switched to my alternate (one of those air2 integrated mabobrers) and the hose popped off before I could draw a breath. My lungs were less than half full. I spent about 5 seconds trying to signal my son that I needed to ascend (I waved, pulled on the anchor line *pulled it off the wreck, as it turned out*, waved good-bye when it was apparent I couldn't get his attention) and made for the surface. I was confused about why I couldn't draw a breath and thought it was ironic that the secondary popped, and my pulse was up, but I wasn't panicked. I signaled the boat. They came and got me. It took less than a minute to figure out that the diaphragm was stuck. I blew into the regulator a bunch. (Meanwhile my son had figured out that I was not in the water and had ascended, less than 2 minutes behind me). I tested it on the boat and in the water near the surface. We re-threw the anchor. I did the dive. That was the first dive I ever aborted. The second dive was a nice drift that went off without incident.

Mistakes that I am aware of: I did not thoroughly clean my regulator after the previous dive. I did not sufficiently test it before jumping. I did not check to see if the hose on my alternate was properly locked into place.
Lessons: Blow hard into this regulator to make sure the diaphragm is not stuck. Check connection on alternate. Get a pony bottle??!! (This is what inspired me to post. I am wondering IF I should dive with a pony bottle.)

Incident #2:

1 week later. I am somewhat weary of my regulator, but somewhat confident in it and me, too. I am on a 2-tank boat dive with three other divers. One is a guy I have seen around and dived with. He has about 50 dives, just started diving early last summer and is getting certified as a DM. One of his tasks on this dive is to hook a line to the wreck. I advise him (don't get me wrong, I know I don't know much, but I do have some experience by this point) to slow down on the certs and focus on getting dive experience. This, based on my seeing him do something that I considered dangerous on a previous dive, which I pointed out to him. The other two divers were a father and son from out of town. The dive site is a wreck (which I had never been to and was excited to be trying something new). I think it is called the "Mary St. Phillips." I did some research and it was a tug in 120 feet. All four of us relied on the dive operator for nitrox tanks. Mine analyzed at close to 33%. I set my computer for 33. My PO2 was set for 1.6. I figured I would hang near the top of the wreck. I made a note to ask specifically for a lower percentage for future deeper dives. It was clear from the boast that the current was ripping. The DM in training jumped and after a minute he hooked us up. It became even more apparent that there was a pretty strong current once we were hooked. Dad and son descended down the line. Then I went. It was a slow arduous descent because of the current. It took me about 5 minutes to reach the wreck. Viz was awesome, about 80 feet. I saw a Goliath and a Shark (reef, I think, but he was keeping just out of clear range). Well, according to my computer the top of the wreck was at 120 feet. I crawled off the line onto the top of the wreck (too much current - in my opinion - to risk a swim for it). My computer immediately started alarming on PO2. It was my first ever PO2 alarm. At first, I wasn't even sure what the hell it was alarming about. I tried to duck under the deck, but that was putting me at about 127 feet. I hung on to the top for a minute or so. Everyone's computers were alarming, I noted. I decided to just hang on the line at about 90 feet for a while, since I saw all that cool stuff from the line while descending. At this point, the DM in training, flew past me up the line and almost knocked me off. My muscles were getting tired from trying to hang on. My computer had finally calmed down, but it got my attention. I wasn't entirely non-spooked from the previous week's incident. I aborted the dive 7 minutes in. I did a nice slow ascent. I had a nice safety stop waving in the current like a flag and then back to the surface I went. The DM in training beat me back on the boat. The father and son did about a 20 minute dive. The second dive was a drift that went off without incident.

Mistakes and lessons: Hard to pinpoint exactly - 33% is obviously too high for this dive which was slightly deeper than reported/anticipated. The word "abort" began going through my head about 2 minutes before I actually aborted and perhaps I should not have hesitated. Maybe I should bring my own tanks?? Maybe a new wreck in deep water without one of my buds is not a good idea?

I posted because I have been reading this forum for a few weeks and have learned a lot. I surely have learned most everything I know (which is admittedly not much) through my experiences diving. Please feel free to comment, suggest, criticize, whatever. If nothing else, thanks for reading.

What agency advocates a PPO2 of 1.6? The MOD for EAN33 for a PPO2 of 1.4 is 106 feet. Even if you choose a PPO2 of 1.6, the MOD is 126 feet. Clearly, your planned dive was too deep for the nitrox you were using. Did you check the nitrox before you left?

I think the lesson to learn is to make sure your mix is approriate for the planned dive, and to be sure that there is at least a small buffer between your planned max depth (especially on a new site) and your MOD.

Kudos for handling the first situation calmly, but I think the lesson isn't that you need a pony bottle. The lesson is that descents (and ascents) are the times in a dive when things are most likely to go wrong, so those are the times when buddy pairs need to stay closest together. All too often, people treat the descent as a sort of preliminary to the dive, and get it done any which way, even if they dive close together and relatively attentively through the bottom time. But descents are when malfunctioning regulators, partially opened valves, popped off inflator hoses, recalcitrant ears and many other issues become apparent, and that's just when you want your buddy nearby.
Another word, because it's one of my soapboxes . . . Divers in general, in my observation, do not do dive plans and gear checks before getting in the water. It takes about 60 seconds to do a quick run through all of your gear (AND your buddy's) to make sure everything is in working order before you are underwater and really NEED it to be working.

On the second dive, I am very glad you got home okay. You were pushing some limits pretty darned hard, and oxygen toxicity seizures are, for all intents and purposes, not survivable underwater. At 120 on 33%, you were running a ppO2 of 1.53. Most agencies I know of teach that divers should plan a working ppO2 of 1.4, and use 1.6 for contingencies or on deco, where there is very little exertion. Working hard against current at that kind of depth is a setup for CO2 retention, which raises the risk of oxygen seizures. Some agencies even recommend that, for dives where you are likely to be working hard, you consider dropping the bottom ppO2 to 1.2.

It also sounds to me as though you were solo diving on that dive. Although I don't do it myself, I don't condemn solo diving. But diving alone at 120 feet with no redundancy (no double tanks, no pony bottle) leaves you with very few options if, for example, your regulator were to freeflow or your dip tube were to clog.

For me to be happy doing it, a 120 foot dive would require at the very least a good buddy, a bigger tank (and really, I'd dive doubles), a less narcotic gas, and a deco plan.

Last edited:
That is great advice. Most people are not trained in trimix or heliox, So maybe the unspoken lesson is more training. I agree with TSandM and I would be carrying a bigger tank or doubles, and an appropriate blend of gas, whether that be a 28%-30% EANx, regular air, or a less narcotic gas.

Operating as an equal member in a buddy team and communicating throughout the descent and the entire dive is key.
An equipment check with the buddy predive, and maintaining the equipment is inextricably a part of diving.

Finally, and accurate dive plan is important. If the actual dive turns out to be different than the planned dive, stick with the planned depths and times, or thumb it and go back to the surface to make a new and more accurate plan.

What agency advocates a PPO2 of 1.6?
I only knew PADI advocated 1.4. Since reading your post I see other agencies advocate even lower (1.2 MOD and 1.4 COD).

The MOD for EAN33 for a PPO2 of 1.4 is 106 feet. Even if you choose a PPO2 of 1.6, the MOD is 126 feet.
Excellent point.

Clearly, your planned dive was too deep for the nitrox you were using.
True.

Did you check the nitrox before you left?
Nope, checked it on the boat.

I think the lesson to learn is to make sure your mix is approriate for the planned dive, and to be sure that there is at least a small buffer between your planned max depth (especially on a new site) and your MOD.

Thanks for your input!

TSand M and Divedoggie,
Thank you for your replies. I thought about it after posting and thought it ironic that I described myself as cautious and then went on to describe a situation in which I behaved pretty recklessly. Oh well. As a result of reading the three replies I have received thus far I have already gained some insight. I am glad I posted. Thanks for keeping it real.
Amy

TSand M and Divedoggie,
Thank you for your replies. I thought about it after posting and thought it ironic that I described myself as cautious and then went on to describe a situation in which I behaved pretty recklessly. Oh well. As a result of reading the three replies I have received thus far I have already gained some insight. I am glad I posted. Thanks for keeping it real.
Amy

One more thought -- your son needs to work on his buddy skills. A LOT can happen in the two minutes he was behind you.

While not a problem on these dives, it pays to be able to reach (and manipulate) your tank valve(s). DM's fiddling with valves, making sure they're "open" occasionally close them on accident. Along similar lines, it pays to have a backup regulator that isn't on a quick disconnect :wink:

I have a question....

I just got my EAN cert last month and it was my understanding that on the sticker that is "supposed" to be on the tank to tell you the mix %, who filled it, divers name and a place for you to list that you have in fact checked the o2 level yourself.... there is a place to list the Max depth for that tank using 1.4 as a limit?

Being a total beginner here....my question is, Are these stickers not normally used in the real world.... and if they are, why did you plan your dive knowing that you were exceeding the max depth?

The stickers are normally used although not always as beautiful as the ones in the EAN workbook (mine have been strips of masking tape most of the time). You're definitely supposed to check out MOD before heading in, but depending on the dive op, they may leave that up to you and not monitor it.

My last nitrox dive the tanks weren't analyzing at what the sticker said they were supposed to be at so had to go back to the shop that filled it and figure out what was going on with the transmitter before Id dive it. The DM seemed completely unconcerned and if it wasn't for me pushing we would have kept diving. I prefer not to have oxygen seizures whenever possible.

Was wondering too why anyone would dive nitrox without figuring out the MOD, and why you'd ride that close to 1.6

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom