2009 SB Fitness Exercise Challenge!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wb416:
Sarita... building a good cardio foundation is certainly helpful to anything else you choose to pursue.
Thanks for the reassurance. I know that a # of muscle burns more fat than a # of fat, so I do really need to get into more regular resistance/wt training.

Wednesday 6/24 PM - After my hearing yesterday, I had to blow off some steam. I did resistance training (mixing in some cardio) at home for 25 minutes, about 205 calories.

Thursday 6/25 AM - Rest morning. It was nice sleeping in.

When I weighed myself this morning, the scales indicate (for 2 days in a row now) that I have lost 10 pounds! While I am super-excited to have meet my first weight loss goal, I am a bit concerned at the speed of the drop. I was hovering in the 7/8 loss range, then - all of a sudden - the scale indicated a 10 # loss.

Granted, I have been being more conscious of everything since 5/10, working out almost daily, watching calorie intake, etc. So, this is over the course of 6 weeks so it would seem normal (10/6 = 1.6 # per week), but I am just concerned about the recent drop. I am concerned that, perhaps, I am not eating enough to fuel my body + workouts and am afraid that I am burning muscle. Thoughts?

Sarita, as my workouts have gotten heavier recently (barbells and such), I've set aside my goal of "losing" my gut for now, and have focused on eating plenty of quality proteins in my Zone/Paleo food choices.... mostly for the reason that you mention... I don't want to use up muscle or inhibit muscle repair/growth. Subsequently, I've gained about 6# back, and some of the excess calories are definitely finding their way back to my gut... oh well!!

I'm not really training to gain "muscle" right now though... mostly, I'm just trying to feed muscles that I'm starting to recruit more efficiently neurologically..... short of coining a new phrase... seeking more "strength density" rather than seeking a target "muscle size"... if that makes sense.... still... it takes the right macro nutrients AND rest to all this to happen! Lot's of different and sometimes conflicting schools of thought on this though... so your mileage may vary... I think for folks like us... just getting more active and toned... doing weightlifting, cardio, met-con type work... is just plain "more better" than sitting on the couch! (can I get an AMEN!!) :) I'm not an expert though.... but I did achieve Platinum level at the Holiday Inn Express!! :D

Penny has been following the same Zone Diet I've been on since March (I experiment more with my macro nutrient ratios though), and she has not only lost weight, but is showing some very nice but feminine muscularity and strength gains from the workouts we do. I know... she has triceps now and hits much harder than she used to... lol

Last July 2008

0012.jpg

June 2009
n750695834_1964542_5034867.jpg

Hmm, I should have joined/posted here before I started!

I didn't actually start my new training and diet program JUST for diving, but diving was one of the root reasons for it! Basically, my breathing rate went to crap after that whole winter of doing nothing but gaining weight!!

Anyways, in the last 8-9 weeks I've lost over 16lbs and 5-6% of my body fat! I've run 2 marathons this year so far and improved my time by 47 minutes between the first one and the second one (2 months apart).

I was also able to drop another 2lbs off my weight belt! I might be able to drop more, but diving dry and all, I don't want to try at the moment!

Here's some video from my final attempt of the Deadlift workout last night.
Deadlift 370PR on Vimeo

Also, another video from my Kettlebell workout a few days ago
KBswings_250mRow on Vimeo

Couple things I saw that may help you...

DL - try to hold that good breath in as you lift, which will stabilize your core/back. This will also reduce rounding of the back, and may add 5lbs to your PR - it did for me!

Swings - i noticed you're leading with the arms, at least it looks that way. Try to really pop with your hips to drive the KB up and over, you'll generate a lot more power/speed with the hips than you can leading with the arms.

Row - on the way back to start position, try to let your hands pass your knees before you bend the legs as this will keep the chain straighter, and is more efficient over distance. See in the video how you're bringing the handle up and over the knees on the way back?
Check this out - YouTube - Rowing Technique

Cheers,

What is your Zone Diet? (if you don't mind my asking) And Penny looks great!

Zone Diet -balancing the ratio between carbs, protein, and fat

We were introduced to it through CrossFit since they like the performance results many athletes see with it. We keep it simple and eat rather plain at home.... I also follow the Fish Oil recommendations. I've been further tweaking it with increased % of protein, and replacing part of the carbs with fat instead.

If you were to rough out the choices we eat:
Meats/Vegetables, Nuts/Seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar (or extremely little).

Hmm, I should have joined/posted here before I started!

I didn't actually start my new training and diet program JUST for diving, but diving was one of the root reasons for it! Basically, my breathing rate went to crap after that whole winter of doing nothing but gaining weight!!

Anyways, in the last 8-9 weeks I've lost over 16lbs and 5-6% of my body fat! I've run 2 marathons this year so far and improved my time by 47 minutes between the first one and the second one (2 months apart).

I was also able to drop another 2lbs off my weight belt! I might be able to drop more, but diving dry and all, I don't want to try at the moment!

That's great man!

Couple things I saw that may help you...

DL - try to hold that good breath in as you lift, which will stabilize your core/back. This will also reduce rounding of the back, and may add 5lbs to your PR - it did for me!
I mentally know to do that... taking a big breath at the bottom and hold, but probably getting sloppy on the heavy weight. Thanks for pointing that out... I missed that when reviewing the vid. I've been thinking about exaggerating the bottom of the pull to be more like the first pull in the Clean and Jerk so that I sit my butt down more. Thoughts?

Swings - i noticed you're leading with the arms, at least it looks that way. Try to really pop with your hips to drive the KB up and over, you'll generate a lot more power/speed with the hips than you can leading with the arms.
I try to snap my hips, so it didn't "feel" like I'm using any arms, but I remember Coach Izzy also pointing out that my Snap wasn't quite right when I was out to see him (almost more of a hop than a hip extension pop, so I'll need to revisit some good examples. Looking at it again, does it look to you like I need to sit back more at the bottom of the swing and bend my knees less (engaging more hips than knees)? The KB seems to be coming through my legs too low.

Row - on the way back to start position, try to let your hands pass your knees before you bend the legs as this will keep the chain straighter, and is more efficient over distance. See in the video how you're bringing the handle up and over the knees on the way back?
Check this out - YouTube - Rowing Technique

Cheers,

I def got sloppy on that. My return speed slows as I get tired, so instead of slowing my knee raise, I go over the top with my hands... BAD!! Also, my back angle didn't change much at all, so I wasn't going forward to grab deeper or stretching at the end of the pull..... looks lazy to me... lol

Good pointers! Thanks for taking the time to point things out!

Welcome Clammy!

Thanks for the information WB416! I appreciate it. I have, informally, been trying to eat more that way, but I like the recipes, etc. provided on their website. Always helpful!

We were hoping to get out and do some cycling tonight, but by late afternoon the winds had picked up a lot and the recent 90F temps were causing thunderstorms to start exploding all over the place…. so, we opted for some high intensity rowing instead.

Warmup:
2 rounds
250m Row, 10 GHD Back Ext, 10 GHD situps, 10 pushups, 10 pullups, 10 squats

Workout:
500m Row Sprints
Penny: 1:52, 1:59, 2:08
Bob: 1:43, 1:44, 2:01, 2:00

We both were gassed and shaking when we got done, but I had enough energy to joke about doing one more round. Penny had just enough left to give me a gesture with her hand! I think it was her way of saying “You’re number one!!”
icon_smile.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom