3mm or 5mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hooded vest is your best option. I am a "shorty" kinda diver....I wear a vest (ok, I cheat) when it gets cooler.

do you really recommend 5mm for PG in December ? I'd hate to have to buy a new wetsuit just for one trip - especially when I've just bought a new 3mm one :D

May have to look into the hooded vest as a (cheaper) solution...

Take your 3mm.

If you need a hood, you can buy it there pretty cheaply.

If you need a 5mm and are smaller than Jag:mooner:, you'll be able to borrow / rent something to fit.

Alternatively, a t-shirt or rash guard under a 3mm adds a bit more insulation (just slows down the water circulation allowing it to warm up from your body.

do you really recommend 5mm for PG in December ? I'd hate to have to buy a new wetsuit just for one trip - especially when I've just bought a new 3mm one :D

How many dives are you planning? Go for the hooded vest as the cheapest option and take it like a man!

You selling a hooded vest then, Matt?

Alternatively, a t-shirt under a 3mm adds a bit more insulation (just slows down the water circulation allowing it to warm up from your body.

Never heard it put like that before - but I guess there might be some truth in it...or it could just be crap. :wink:

I don't know how insulated you are :D... but you are a female.... I would definitely recommend 5mm in PG in Dec. or 3mm hooded vest to add to your new 3mm.... specially if you are thinking of diving 3 dives a day!
Trust me I dived in PG many times.

You can expect 24ŽºC water (that's what it was in february), so go by that to judge what you need (no one knows your cold resistance better than you!).

Personally I was OK in my 3/2mm full suit. I did get a bit chilly after a few dives a day though. But the locals thought I was crazy and they were all wearing 5/4mm fulls. Remember, I'm Canadian!!!!!! For me, any water above 15ŽºC is toasty warm!!!!!! And my local wetsuit is a 7mm combined with a 7mm hooded vest!:D:D

A hooded vest could be a good option for you. But honnestly (and this is only my 0.02$), unless you consider yourself fairly chill resistant, you'll need more than 3mm!!! At least 3mm with an extra 3mm hooded vest could be a good option (and yes, there are several dive shops over there selling these).

Just trying to help!:coffee:

I second 3mm + hooded vest. I think water temp in Dec should not be as low as Feb.
Last year in Nov, it was about 28C. Last year Feb was 24C. Check with your dive shops in PG about estimated water temp during your stay. If it is 24C, it is quite chilly to dive in 3mm suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom