4 hours layover in GC on way to Brac Suggestios?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the option of a 4.5 hour layover on GC on my way to Brac. Does anybody think that would be worth it and what should or could I see in that time? I have never been to GC before, any suggestions would be appreciated.

scuba@inetmagic.com:
I have the option of a 4.5 hour layover on GC on my way to Brac. Does anybody think that would be worth it and what should or could I see in that time? I have never been to GC before, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Spend your time doing somthing constructive like drinking.

You're not going to want to spend it at the airport...it's tiny.

You could snorkel at Eden Rock. It's not bad - a little beat up due to their proximity to the cruise ship dock. There is some good reef just offshore in 10-15' of water. They have lockers for your stuff and showers to get the salt off.

Or go to Sunset House. Cathy Church has an u/w photo gallery/school in the basement of the lobby building. My Bar is the diver's hangout - great view and excellent sandwiches.

Either one is in Georgetown - a 5-10 min. cab ride from the airport.

There's some tourist shopping downtown but if the cruisers are in (likely if it's daylight) it's almost un-navigable.

I'd book a shorter connection if you can...

yep, drinking works. :D So what is your other option?

Bring a book, have a drink/snack, relax. Watch a few planes from the observation area. It's not too bad an airport to hang out in for a couple hours, I've done it many times. A 4.5 hour layover is not enough time to do much of anything. I expect you will have to pick up your luggage and go through customs, then check it on the interisland flight. And you may not be able to check it in for your interisland flight right away. (I think this is true even if you're on Cayman Air all the way, though not positive?) So if you are stuck with luggage until 1-2 hours before your flight it puts a crimp in things. If not for luggage you could take a cab downtown and shop a little (yeah, check the cruise schedule before you go, or look out of the plane and see how many are in that day.) You could go someplace like Sunset House (even with luggage I suppose) and eat/drink with better scenery. I'm not crazy about Sunset House as a place to stay but for a diver it's a fine place to hang out. Not sure it's worth the bother though. Probably not enough time in there to do turtle farm or anything like that. I can't see running around and getting stuff wet and salty to squeeze in a snorkel between flights, but that's me.

Don't make the connection too short though. Say you have an option of a tight connection for the second-to-last interisland flight of the day. If you miss that, there's a very good chance the last flight of the day will be full, and you'll be stuck.

That is too little time to do any diving, but if you've never been to Grand Cayman you might like to take a walk on 7 mile beach or just kick back and go to Sunset house and have a couple of beers at "my bar", it overlooks the ocean and gets you in the mood for a tropical vacation. Last time I went to the Brac (April) I had that same layover and had a burger and beer.
On the Brac one of our fav things to do is watch the sunset go down over Little Cayman
File0270.jpg

The biggest problem is that unless you share a ride into town the cab ride is $20 each way. $40 will buy enough booze for a few hours in my book.

Alex777:
Err, I have bad news. Very, very bad. The airport bar is closed.
thought you could get drinks outside in the "temporary" restaurant?

what is doing on with the bar/restaurant anyway? I last peeked in there over a year and a half ago and it looked like there was some sort of work going on. Normally seems things on Cayman get built a lot quicker than many islands.

<< what is doing on with the bar/restaurant anyway? >>

I've wondered the same thing. There is no evidence it plans to go back into business. In the long run, we are planning to redesign and rebuild the whole building, but the "long run" in the Caribbean can be REEAALLY long ...

I haven't seen any drinks available at the temporary restaurant, but I've only been there in the early mornings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom