A BIG lesson learned--accidentally put a LP hose into a HP port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great warning!!! Thanks for sharing! Glad that you escaped with minor injuries!!

Good example why you shouldn't dive with museum pieces. Put the regulator on the wall as a decoration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good example why you shouldn't dive with museum pieces. Put the regulator on the wall as a decoration.

Hey, some of those "museum pieces" work better, are easier to service, and are more reliable than some of the "modern" ones. Personally I'll keep diving mine. OTHO, whenever I change hoses you'd better believe I KNOW what type of port I'm connecting to.

The real mistake was made by the SHOP who gave the OP a LP hose for a HP port. The SHOP should have known the difference from the port position and the small air opening. I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility, but the OP did go to the shop for advice/parts.

It's not the [-]agency[/-] regulator, it's the [-]instructor[/-] technician.

That's why I encourage divers to know their gear, you may not be able to count on a "trained professional". The plug was the right answer, but when you jerry rig you have to know what you are doing. Moving a plug from a LP port to the HP and using the hose on the LP would have been OK, I'm kind of surprised that someone giving technical advice wouldn't check.

As for "museum pieces", why put something in a museum if it still works and you can still use it?

Bob
-------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Not sure why you went to the emergency room. If no bone broken, it was just a bad bruise. Shlt happens.

Not sure why you went to the emergency room. If no bone broken, it was just a bad bruise. Shlt happens.

Cuz it appears to have scared the $hit out of him/her!

it takes a lot to post a personal mistake and kudos to you for doing so.....thanks for sharing.

I was on a very remote island in the Bahamas (Crooked Island for those familiar) and the only option was a walk-in clinic. Not having experienced such swelling, I didn't know what to think in the heat of the moment, so I just did the most prudent thing. Ironically, just an hour earlier, I had been in the clinic waiting on someone to pick up a script, so I knew exactly where I needed to return to!

---------- Post added July 27th, 2015 at 06:48 PM ----------

it takes a lot to post a personal mistake and kudos to you for doing so.....thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words! In all honesty, I would feel TERRIBLE if someone after me did the same thing, and I just feel its my duty to give others a warning about something that could be deadly that they might not have any clue about, as I did!

Back
Top Bottom