A few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexrey

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay so I've read that you shouldn't hyperventilate because you won't feel a blackout coming.
What I do is breath slowly for a few breaths and then take a deep one and go under. If I'm down for a while I'll start feeling more and more uncomfortable (CO2 buildup?), but I'll have almost involuntary swallows to help make the feeling go away (are these the contractions that I hear people talking about).

What I need to know is this: I've noticed that I can cope with the uncomfortable feeling for longer and longer periods now, and I'm scared that one day I'll be able to cope with the CO2 buildup so much that I won't notice the blackout and that'll be the end of me. With my breathing technique, will I feel a blackout coming, or will it just hit me, i.e. is it a gradual thing (if you don't hyperventilate), so if I feel it coming at say 10m, I can quickly start swimming to the surface? I usually go down to about 10-15m since that's where the reef and wreck are, but sometimes I really wanna get in the water and no-one else feels like getting in, so I go solo. I know it's really dangerous going solo, that's why I'm asking these questions.

Hope you can help, cheers.

So far, there is no real scientific evidence that supports any breathe-up technique as being "safe". There are conflicting studies. During my last conversation with Dr. Neal Pollock at DAN, breathe-up techniques are all forms of hyperventilation to some extent. The classic practice of deep rapid breathing will result in a spiked heart rate prior to the dive. This spiked heart rate might be more problematic than other breathe-ups in which the diver is able to maintain a more relaxed state with a lower heart rate.

There is a lot of anecdotal and unsupported evidence regarding freediving techniques. What we do know, is that as time passes, the body will use oxygen. Eventually, enough oxygen will be used so that the diver will lose consciousness. This will happen whether the diver reduces the CO2 and doesn't feel the urge to breathe or if the diver is able to hold back the chest contractions that you mention. Yes, what you describe sounds like chest contractions that result from the body attempting to breathe.

Official United States Navy studies of breath-hold diving resulted in a recommendation of 1 minute being the "safe zone" of apnea. After 1 minute, every freediver is rolling the dice and taking a gamble. My quickest blackout was 2:38 when doing 5:30 breath-holds was my norm.

Psychology and relaxation play the biggest parts in freediving. I've had students do very well with one technique that worked well for them, then after researching or taking other freediving courses, they became psyched out by the philosophy they researched or practiced. The fact that the freediving community is in love with their deep divers and tries to imitate them, like golfers imitating the swing of their champions, would be fine, if not for the fact that the group with the worst safety record is the group that most freedivers are looking to for training advice. What I mean by that is that when you have competitions with more than 10 shallow-water blackouts and a cardiac arrest, I'm not sure that is where a diver will find the safest training advice?

In the past, most divers were both freedivers and scuba divers who found an enjoyment in diving in whatever discipline they were doing on a given day. Staying safe and not pushing the limits resulted in many divers never having a blackout throughout an entire lifetime spent in the water. Today, there is a push for depth, time and distance much of which is garnered by a high level of fitness and adaptation toward bettering the abilities of the freediving mammals we naturally are, but in the end is based upon a lot of luck and divine care.

Growing up, we just dove. Today's freediver is often more obsessed with technology and numbers than they technical diving community in which I have more of an interest at the present time. Part of my loss for the appeal of freediving was all of the "competition", the formation of freediving agencies, the prima donna-like petty rivalries and jealousies that have muddied the community for a couple of decades now like a stubborn silt-out. Added to that, the scuba community no longer sees freediving as being basic diver training. Freediving is becoming moved into a position of mystique in which only a few gurus know how rather than an activity that every diver is introduced to during training. Worse, many of the instructors introducing students to snorkeling and freediving in open water courses, can't even do those activities proficiently because they were never taught. Freediving is more mysterious than ever before, when it should be more widely practiced and understood.

Regarding more of your questions, the phrase, "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast," should be how you approach freediving. If you feel the urge to breathe on ascent, relax. Don't swim fast toward the surface. Cruise up slowly. You don't want to demand more oxygen or spike your heart rate with fast swimming that will demand more oxygen to feed the muscles. Stay relaxed during all phases of diving. You want to be loose, lazy, fluid, calm, tranquil, at peace in mind and body, and graceful.

I've done a lot of solo freediving between 150 and 200 feet as well as solo apnea training when I was young and I'm lucky to have reached age 41. I started snorkeling as a kid and doing serious freediving in my late teens and early 20's into my 30's. Freediving without a buddy or a spotter is a high risk activity. It's like skydiving without a reserve parachute. However, in an age in which we've become safety-obsessed and even elitist about how ridiculously safe we are being in daily life and diving, if you do dive alone practice common sense. Limit your time underwater. Carry redundant cutting tools. Listen to your instincts. Conserve energy and make sure you stop diving when tired and save energy for the return swim.

Personally, I limit myself to 2 minutes and 100 feet when alone. Others would disagree with my parameters or disagree with solo freediving altogether, but I believe that individuals have the right to decide what risks they are willing to take. I don't ride motorcycles - bloody death machines. If you are new to freediving, I'd suggest taking a course or diving with an experienced freediver to develop safe habits and improve your technique.

Hope this helps.

Not much for me to add, but that a blackout need not "be the end of me" if you're diving with an attentive buddy. One up and one down.

Alexrey - You are smart to be concerned with the risk of blackout, particularly if you choose to freedive alone. There is a long history of skilled individuals not returning from breath-hold dives. Diligent use of an effective buddy system is good insurance. A freediving safety vest currently in development may offer additional protections in the future, but it is not yet available.

I have attached a short review article that might provide some useful reference.

Best wishes,

Neal Pollock, Ph.D.
Divers Alert Network

Attachments

• PollockNW BH diving DHM 2008 38 2 79-86.pdf
    128 KB · Views: 131
Thanks for the replies guys, but I was wondering how quickly the onset of a blackout can occur? What variables does it depend on? Are there definite signs of impending blackout or does it occur as quick at the click of your fingers? I tried reading your pdf npollock but it was a little too advanced for the likes of myself; thank you though. :)

Alexrey - The amount of time it takes for a blackout to occur will depend on a wide range of factors. These are not limited to physiological stress (amount of exertion, psychological stress, thermal status, etc.), capabilities (experience, efficiency, etc.), state of buoyancy and water conditions. There is no formula to meaningfully compute the available time and loss of consciousness can develop with no warning. Any description of a pre-event warning can be matched by reports of no warning. Proceed cautiously.

Back
Top Bottom