A little computer help greatly appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purepursuit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok Underworld I need a wrist dive computer. I understand we have a computer forum but its way down below and I'm not sure this doesn't qualify as a basic scuba topic so here it goes.

I want to purchase a wrist mounted dive computer that does Nitrox (I'm Advanced open water/nitrox certified). I want this computer to be reliable, easy to read, and take the roll of backup computer once I drop the coin on something like a shearwater predator.

The kicker, this computer needs to be under 300 bucks. I have found quite a few potential options from the Hollis Dg02, the Aeris NRX1/2, a couple others. I just can't decided which one to get and since this price range puts the computer model in an older build date its harder to find proper user reviews. Any help greatly appreciated!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread moved to Computers/Gauges/Watches forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much any major manufacturer has something that will work for you. I'd look for a user changeable battery and the most important thing for me is how conservative an algorithm you want. It can make a big difference in NDL.

My Mares M2 does nitrox and is easy to read. Was $275 (Can.) 4-5 years ago.

Take a look at the Oceanic B.U.D.

It's inexpensive (~$200), can do nitrox to 50%, has a user replaceable battery, and will make the perfect backup for when you upgrade. It also can adjust to match algorithims of other computers.

What you don't get: Air Integration, Audible Alarms, Data Download

The BUD also has dual algorithms. But (I think) no log. Very basic, but works.

Appreciate the responses. I was looking at the B.U.D. but haven't pulled the trigger on it as for a couple extra bucks I can get a wrist mounted fully functional computer (Dg02). I may end up spending a couple hundred more and purchasing a VEO 3.0 or 2.0. For once I wish there were less options in the market.

I found the Areas XR 1 NX on EBay from an authorized retailer for $159. The price sealed the deal for me and I PMed you some more info on just how to get it. Mine should get delivered this week so I can't review it just yet. I really like my Aeris Atmos AI and this one will serve as a backup. No downloadable data is the biggest downside.

The BUD seems nice, but I wanted something I can wear on my wrist.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I use the Suunto Zoop. Mostly used it as a back up but on occasions as a primary.

I personally like the Oceanic products because you can choose algorithms. (Yes, I keep pointing to that.) So the Veo is a good choice based on my criteria. It gives you more flexibility to tailor your conservatism than the other entry-level brands (unless this has changed recently). Good luck. There really isn't a bad choice at this point.

I'm also leaning towards the oceanic products due to their favorable reputation and conservatism (Suunto = To Soon right? lol). Really appreciate the responses guys! This place does rock.

---------- Post Merged at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Should be picking up a Veo 2.0 for 300 at one of the shops on Friday. Looks to be a solid computer for the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom