A Question that Really Happened

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh, Jimbo, if we went to the Sea Tiger and planned to go in and said yahoos were standing in there...what would we do? tell them to get out right?

why would you not guard in twos?

You know, I don't have any experience around caves. But I do have experience around wrecks. And I manage not to swim into any of them. Gates or no gates.

OW teaches that overheads are a no go. Why is it the cave divers responsibility to play scuba police?

oh yea. TriMix.

Why is it the cave divers responsibility to play scuba police?

because they are the highest qualified divers present and there are no scuba police there.

If a diver has more training than me..I want them to tell ME what to do.
Something is going on down there, leadership needs to emerge. Usually its that person's responsibity to lead.

catherine96821:
Unless this is in bubba land.

:rofl3:

The "MOM LOOK" seems to really work well for me. That and a quick jolt to the first stage often seems to be very effective ways of getting divers off the reef, I would imagine a little sign language with an authoritative presence would work in just about any situation... Even in bubba land :rofl3:

But I do have experience around wrecks. And I manage not to swim into any of them. Gates or no gates.

well, thats you. I like this scenario because it is real world. And when we go in wrecks, random divers can come along at anytime and really mess you up.

silt it out, move your lines, crowd the exit (add minutes to your timeline) It is good to be aware of that, I think. If you count on people obeying OW rules around here, you are in for a rude surprise.

daniel f aleman:
Whatever you do DO NOT unlock that gate - liability probably starts there...

NO S**T !!!! If you check back on ALL my posts I'm a mega friendly guy, but this is the dumbest post Ive ever seen on this board. its common sense and not worthy of a post. Sorry but that has me slightly worked up. Any DMs / Instructors replying to this as anything other than aborting the dive pls identify yourself......

catherine96821:

because they are the highest qualified divers present and there are no scuba police there.

If a diver has more training than me..I want them to tell ME what to do.

First, if you are in a spot that you were trained for, no one should need to be told what to do.

Second, we keep trying to protect the idiots from themselves. That might sound harsh but I've seen it other places. It's the kind of things that leads to warning labels on toothpicks to "not insert into eye or ear".

*shrug*

BTW, I don't disagree with sternly pointing them away. But it should not be the cave divers responsibility to guard the gate, IMO.

I'm a mega friendly guy, but this is the dumbest post Ive ever seen on this board.

lol, I can tell from your avatar.

Second, we keep trying to protect the idiots from themselves.

It sounds harsh. One was a kid, remember?

We have beginners here who don't know better...it's your responsibilty, I think.

I mean, there are no Disney guards down there..so you have to take the initiative to optimize the situation. I would want the same if I am some newbie rock climber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom