Advantages of Wrist Mount Computer vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike...I respect you for your opinions here but I can't understand how you can say that about not being used at the same time for the same thing. They are ALL used to monitor and report on your diving status. I guess what I'm trying to say that for me, a recreational diver, having all the gauges easily accessable where I can monitor my condition at a glance is important and my configuration works for me and it works well. A Cyklon says "Simple is better".
Dxtreme....hope this little discussion helps.:)
Randy...

Hi

Cyklon was referring to a wrist mounted computer when he said simple is better.

An analogy to this situation might be the wristwatch against a pocket watch.

It is plain to see that most people (not all) prefer to wear a wristwatch for convenience and ease of use.

It is similar in diving except you don't put your console computer in a pocket but leave it to dangle in the sand, kelp, pondweed etc. as you're swimming about. If it hasn't been secured properly then you may not know where it is, and then you are distracted as you reclip it or whatever. Surely it is easier just to glance at your wrist particularly as you are in a horizontal position (well you should be) You will probably refer to your computer more times than your contents guage once you've done a few dives as you will get to know your consumption rate and so you don't need it in the same console.

You finish the dive and the computer is then dragged around the boat, RIB, car park etc. and if you're checking your surface interval, possible dive plans, filling log books then you are required to be right next to your kit, more inconvenience.

Really, you should have two dive timers in case one fails and one idea is to wear one on the right and one on the left. The uwatec bottom timer is good value for this and I wear one on the left wrist next to my compass, which is bungeed to allow removal if the bearing is critical.

Its all about convenience and ease of use. I prefer a wristwatch to a pocketwatch.

Kindest Regards

WL

WL, the analogy is not at all like a pocket watch. For one thing, the Console is not in a pocket!!!
1: I agree that it is a matter of personal preference.
2: I will also agree that a wrist mount is easier to use when you are filling out your log that you don't have to drag the whole console around.
3: Most of the people I dive with wear wrist mounts (and love them)
...BUT...
...my console is not clipped, it doesn't dangle, I don't have to dig it out and stow it, I don't have to stop to look at it, I don't forget it, it's convenient and IT WORKS!!!
phew...:banging:
On a final note, I feel it is my duty as a member here to present information based on my experience. Diving is a sport, not a contest, so lets provide our fellow divers with the stuff they need to make an informed decision.
<end of rant>
Randy...

Well said, wfm. I prefer wrist mount. It works for me. That's me.

I have used a console on several occasions and can always manage to set my gear up so it doesn't dangle. The dangling arguement nearly always comes up and it certainly occurs but it is the fault of the user, not the equipment. I dislike that arguement, although I do prefer wrist mount.

The fact that a dangling console usually shows up in promotional videos and brochures doesn't help:wink:

I am in the process of changing from a console to a wrist mount for my computer. Would also like to put a compass on my wrist when one is needed. How do people set this up? Computer on right,compass on left? Both on right wrist? or what? I am interested in what works for others.

ianr33 wrote...
I am in the process of changing from a console to a wrist mount for my computer. Would also like to put a compass on my wrist when one is needed. How do people set this up? Computer on right,compass on left? Both on right wrist? or what? I am interested in what works for others.
Computer on right, compass on left. This allows computer depth and ascent rate readings while maintaining buoyancy control with left hand.

My own setup is as follows...

I have a Suunto Cobra with the quick disconnect and it was attached to a retractor on my right shoulder. When I wanted to look at it, I'd pull it down, check my status, and let go. Seemed pretty simple. When I needed to log dives or plan the next dive, I could quickly disconnect it and have it right with me. Worked great.

That is, until the retractor broke. And that thing broke a lot sooner than I woud have expected for something that cost so much. And I had no other means of connecting it readily available.

I've since attached a bolt snap to it and it's attached across my cumberbund to my right hand side. And it's positioned so that I can see it with only a glance downwards. And if I need to use the compass, I just un hook it and start navigating.

Despite the relative success I've had with this setup, I've decided that I'm going with the wrist mounted approach. Navigation is so much easier with a wrist-mount compass. For one thing, I've seen a lot of students (both OW and Rescue) have problems with the compass pegging itself due to having it on the end of the hose. A wrist compass seems to be easier to maintain level.

And as I move more into technical\cave diving the console is just making less and less sense to me.

Just to add my nickel's worth:

computer on right wrist (in guage mode!)
compass will be on left wrist

I'm having the strap removed, and bungies put where the straps were. As previously said-a lot easier to put on with gloves.

Console? I don't need no stinking console!!:rolleyes:

weight_for_me once bubbled...
Mike...I respect you for your opinions here but I can't understand how you can say that about not being used at the same time for the same thing. They are ALL used to monitor and report on your diving status. I guess what I'm trying to say that for me, a recreational diver, having all the gauges easily accessable where I can monitor my condition at a glance is important and my configuration works for me and it works well. A Cyklon says "Simple is better".
Dxtreme....hope this little discussion helps.:)
Randy...

When I check depth or time I don't really need a compass or my SPG. I sure don't need a hose attached yo my depth gauge. I can check depth and time without any extra movement. When checking ascent speed or stop depth you don't need to constantly see gas presure and direction and it sure does simplify things to not have to make any extra movements like repositioning a console and maybe having to restow it afterward. There can be enough to do during an ascent descent especially without having to mess with a console. What I'm after is to simplify movements and procedures. A console simplifies packing but not diving IMO.

Wrist mount (stinger) I use most of the time. Console (cobra) I use for back up and AI.

If I had to choos one though, probably a wrist in agreement with many here that it's generally more convenient to have the hand free and not holding the console.

Back
Top Bottom