Advantages of Wrist Mount Computer vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a new diver and have only used the Cobra I bought shortly after start of OW lessons. At the present, I have the Cobra crossing over from the left to the right belt D-ring attached with a retractor. So far no problems with danglies or the computer function at all. I know the retractor is a source of problems and failures, but its certainly better than dangling all over the place. (lesser of two evils)

However, I can see REAL value to a wrist mounted computer, whether or not you decide to have all the bells and whistles or just a low end bottom timer. I do have some trouble keeping the Cobra console from getting scratched up since it is attached to the entire rig and I really like the idea of have the unit right in front of you in a horizontal position.

I have thought of buying a Vyper as a backup, but with the switch to BP&W I might have to switch to it as a primary setup instead.

Some may find a console unit more convenient.

I think that a wrist unit enables more flexibility. I guess that air integration will require more $$, but as mentioned can be done in stages.

Ari :)

One more question for the wrist fans. Do you wear it so your palm is up or down when reading it?

Palm down. Seems to get drug across other stuff more the other way. May just be that I'm used to a wristwatch and developed an instinct be more careful with wearing it that way.

It's definitely easier to read the other way, but....?

The conditioned respone thing, I guess.

:doctor:

I use a console with Computer and SPG (Mares MC1, with AAA batteries) , but I also use a backup dive watch on my right wrist (Citizen Hyper Aqualand). I have a wrist compass on my left wrist. So since I am running out of wrists, I have no choice.

But I thnk it's important to carry a backup. Don't like it when my computer dies in the middle of a dive......real bummer (actually happened to me with my old Stinger :eek: ). Just my story.

:mean:

I have a console computer/SPG/Compass (Aeris 300g) and use a backup dive watch on my right wrist. A slate usually goes on my left wrist.

Wouldnt most wrist mounted computer has smaller digits and harder to read vs a console (eg, Datamax Pro Plus II)

Dxtreme once bubbled...
Wouldnt most wrist mounted computer has smaller digits and harder to read vs a console (eg, Datamax Pro Plus II)

Nope. A lot of "console" computers are wrist computers in a console :)

My Uwatecs all have bigger readouts than my SP EDI, which is a console. Some of the watch/computers have a smaller face as they do double duty

MD

:D I'm a newer diver and have a console. I remember having to jockey my hands around to facilitate the console and inflator. But after reading all this good advice, it makes sense to put my computer on my wrist. Man, the things you learn here are wonderful!!!:jump:

I recently move my computer to the right wrist; mainly for the reasons several others have already given. I have found it easier, for me, to monitor information during an ascent with a wrist mount.

I have moved the compass, however, from my wrist to the console simply because I could never master the art of "levelizing" compass. With the compass on the console, I can get a better reading. I have had some divers suggest getting a slate with the compass built into it for even more stability.

Back
Top Bottom