Advice on a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can buy parts for them. Ebay.

Getting them serviced abroad is easy, if need be. That's a huge deal in my book.

I dive ScubaPro MK25/S600. My dive buddy has a variety of Apeks. I like the breathability (if that's a word) of both, and I really can't tell the difference between Apeks and SP at depth. Both with last forever. I have the ScubaPro because the hose routing is easier with the MK25.

North East Scuba Supply has a sale on Apeks at the moment. And Leisure Pro has a sale on the 2012 version of the MK25/S600 ($425). Both Apeks and ScubaPro are easy to service and parts are available pretty much everywere.

T

You can buy parts for them. Ebay.

Getting them serviced abroad is easy, if need be. That's a huge deal in my book.
Right, so rather than dealing with manufacturers who trust you and will sell you parts, you advocate buying grey market parts of unknown vintage for your life support equipment. Good thinking.

Its not nearly as scary as you seem to suggest. For SP, at least, they're sealed packages, and I think they even have a date on them (not 100% sure).

And with reports of budget regs coming from manufacturers with problems, I trust them even less!

Anyone suggesting that parts are readily available for Scubapro and Aqualung must be living in an alternate universe. Never buy a regulator that YOU can't buy parts for. You will want to service your own one day.

You make it sound like getting SP parts is like buying plutonium.

I can buy SP parts from an authorized SP distributer in Oman - the proverbial end of the supply chain.

And with reports of budget regs coming from manufacturers with problems, I trust them even less!
:) We don't need no stinkin' HP ports. Quality control is for sissies.

Its not nearly as scary as you seem to suggest. For SP, at least, they're sealed packages, and I think they even have a date on them (not 100% sure).

Every manufacturer of every thing.....has issues.

That being said - can you be more specific of these "reports" about "budget" regs that have issues to the extent that you have lost trust that you seem to have never had in the first place?

My opinion is that less expensive does not necessarily make something a "budget" reg/ In some instances - its just a better deal.

Every manufacturer of every thing.....has issues.

That being said - can you be more specific of these "reports" about "budget" regs that have issues to the extent that you have lost trust that you seem to have never had in the first place?

My opinion is that less expensive does not necessarily make something a "budget" reg/ In some instances - its just a better deal.

These are tek diving regulators we're talking about, right?

The regulator manufacturing technology is pretty uniform, no one has a significant miracle process that makes the machining easier or faster. The level of quality control in all the manufacturing steps, from machining to moulding to assembling should be comparable for regulators of similar design. The substantially increased costs will come with the higher performance designs that require more complex manufacturing processes than a basic recreational reg. One would expect that the increased complexity in manufacturing will cost more. So, a higher performance reg designed with the deep diver in mind would be expected to be marketed at a higher price point and would be similar in price to other regs in that class (barring the annual inventory sales, etc.).

I would be wary that a reg proposed as higher performance for deep diving would be marketed at a substantially lower price point than the regs in its' class - something was cheaper in their process than everyone else was willing to do. I would also be wary of any reg who's customers all report fast and friendly customer service, as this is an indication of quality issues in the manufacturing process.

There are frequently great deals on great regs (I got really great deals on 4 of mine). I don't think that was the point. I think the point was that it's better to start with a reputable, high quality reg that will last a lifetime, than to go with an economy model that won't offer the same reliability.

The question of servicing is also important. As most people won't service their own regs, buying a brand that's serviced everywhere is important. Once you take the manufacturer's service technician class for your regs (it's life support equipment, learn to do it right), finding parts is an easy thing for the well known brands.

These are tek diving regulators we're talking about, right?

The regulator manufacturing technology is pretty uniform, no one has a significant miracle process that makes the machining easier or faster. The level of quality control in all the manufacturing steps, from machining to moulding to assembling should be comparable for regulators of similar design. The substantially increased costs will come with the higher performance designs that require more complex manufacturing processes than a basic recreational reg. One would expect that the increased complexity in manufacturing will cost more. So, a higher performance reg designed with the deep diver in mind would be expected to be marketed at a higher price point and would be similar in price to other regs in that class (barring the annual inventory sales, etc.).

I would be wary that a reg proposed as higher performance for deep diving would be marketed at a substantially lower price point than the regs in its' class - something was cheaper in their process than everyone else was willing to do. I would also be wary of any reg who's customers all report fast and friendly customer service, as this is an indication of quality issues in the manufacturing process.

There are frequently great deals on great regs (I got really great deals on 4 of mine). I don't think that was the point. I think the point was that it's better to start with a reputable, high quality reg that will last a lifetime, than to go with an economy model that won't offer the same reliability.

The question of servicing is also important. As most people won't service their own regs, buying a brand that's serviced everywhere is important. Once you take the manufacturer's service technician class for your regs (it's life support equipment, learn to do it right), finding parts is an easy thing for the well known brands.

You can expect.....whatever you want. Sounds like you expect to pay more, for marketing hype. You are confusing manufacturing costs with marketing costs. Manufacturing costs are not significantly different - however the "cost of sale" is what is significantly diferent.

Please help me understand, based on your post, how thousands and thousands of us are diving HOGS - which can be bought at a significantly less expensive price that Apeks and SP - and almost all have agreed that the WOB, and overall quality is right on par.

The answer is simple. Its not a significant difference in the manufacturing costs. Its less marketing, less burdened overall costs to carry and move, Less company infrastructure, and a willingless to make a superior product without the fluffed up price. Profit by volume rather than individual units.

That's true but usually it changes as the company grows. You cannot rely on the enthusiasm of few people anymore.

The answer is simple. Its not a significant difference in the manufacturing costs. Its less marketing, less burdened overall costs to carry and move, Less company infrastructure, and a willingless to make a superior product without the fluffed up price. Profit by volume rather than individual units.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom