Advice on cozumel dive for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hrmm to bad they dont have a report on the status of the main reef's over there. I guess whatever reef I dive will be 100 times better then diving here in NJ waters where I have 50* F water and 10' of vis.

I'd definitely like to do my research before going down there and being disappointed if I missed something that I should not have. I'll also be on the mainland for a few days so Im looking at hitting up some of those reef's as well.

Any good spots to check out?

split0101:
Hrmm to bad they dont have a report on the status of the main reef's over there. I guess whatever reef I dive will be 100 times better then diving here in NJ waters where I have 50* F water and 10' of vis.

Don't worry. I went to Cozumel twice this year as well (March and June) and while the reefs did suffer some damage (especially the shallow ones), it's still spectacular diving. The main problem is that there's a lot of sand all over the shallow reefs, but the ecosystem is recovering rather nicely. I saw all the usual suspects on my last trip 3 weeks ago, including nurse sharks, turtles, eagle rays, crabs, lobsters, a splendid toadfish, and even a sea horse. In some cases, the storm actually created more interesting dives, because there are some new swim-throughs and such. I can assure you that won't be disapointed.

Split0101,

Looked up your profile and your given name is not there so this will have to do. As for your trip it sounds like you're going to Coz. Fear not my friend. Although the reefs suffered damage you'll be amazed at what you'll see. The only thing wrong with going to the Carribean is that you'll ache for more.

Compared to your home waters you'll be pleasantly surprised. Water temperature is running about 83 degrees right now. Even if you're the cold sort a 3mm is plenty. I dive with a Microprene even in winter when it drops to about 79 degrees. Maybe even a 3mm shortie will work, but I like full protection from the reefs, just in case. I have a tendency to hug the bottom at times.

Viz will probably be in the 80-100' range, although a few a the shallower reefs can knock it down to 60-80'. And if things are just right, like in the winter, you can see so far you can't even tell how far far is. My log book often just says "100+". Might be 150', who knows.

I'll tell ya one thing. Once you dive those waters it's hard to dive at home anymore. One thing I'd take to heart though. It's drift diving there, meaning you go with the flow--everybody in the group does so there's little chance of getting lost. And if you saw "Open Water" just forget it. Most of the diving is within a couple hundred yards of shore, and the current is always taking you home anyway. Don't sweat it. Just enjoy the ride and the dive.

The reefs at Cozumel were decimated last year when hurricane Wilma hit the island. The diving is spectacular but the visuals have changed a little bit. There is a huge difference diving 30ft. as opposed to 90/120 ft. You shouldn't decend past 60ft. with basic open water certification. Yes the water is clear and warm but please get some experience before going deep. t

Yup, I'm taking it one dive at a time. Im not looking to go beyond my comfort level so I'll be more then happy with a 60' dive. I've never been down there so Im sure everything I see will be amazing.

I was thinking about doing my AOW while Im out there, but then I decided against it since I think I rather just be relaxing, and want to go at my own pace. I'll end up doing my AOW up here when I get back (end of August). This way next time I go down I'll have much more experience, and be able to hit up some different sites.

This may seem like a silly question, but I dont really know how to speak Spanish besides a few simple phrases. Will I be able to get around the island with my broken Spanish? or do most people speak English on the island?

split0101:
This may seem like a silly question, but I dont really know how to speak Spanish besides a few simple phrases. Will I be able to get around the island with my broken Spanish? or do most people speak English on the island?

Not a silly question at all. Most locals speak English very well. Most restaurants have English menus but I think it does make them happy when we tried to speak their language with them.
We went to a bookstore and bought a Mexican Spanish mini book for 8 bucks to take with us and we used it a lot… and tried to speak it when we could or needed to. (Only because we want to try to speak and learn Spanish.) But you definitely could get by without knowing any at all.

bigcat:
The reefs at Cozumel were decimated last year when hurricane Wilma hit the island. The diving is spectacular but the visuals have changed a little bit. There is a huge difference diving 30ft. as opposed to 90/120 ft. You shouldn't decend past 60ft. with basic open water certification. Yes the water is clear and warm but please get some experience before going deep.

Wow, it's very unusual for the word "decimated" to be used correctly. Cool.

split0101:
Yup, I'm taking it one dive at a time. Im not looking to go beyond my comfort level so I'll be more then happy with a 60' dive. I've never been down there so Im sure everything I see will be amazing.

I was thinking about doing my AOW while Im out there, but then I decided against it since I think I rather just be relaxing, and want to go at my own pace. I'll end up doing my AOW up here when I get back (end of August). This way next time I go down I'll have much more experience, and be able to hit up some different sites.

Having an AOW card will not admit you to sites around Cozumel that you couldn't see otherwise. Ususally a dive op will evaluate your skills over a day or two of diving before they will take you to the more challenging sites. What counts is the way you handle yourself in the water, not what's on your card.

As to the language, you'll not have a problem most places, as long as you deal with folks who are used to handling tourists. Cab drivers, restaurant workers, DM's, hotel clerks, etc. all know enough English to get business done. The clerks at Chedraui supermarket, however, typically have no English at all.

But whether they habla Anglais or not, they all appreciate it if you at least make an effort, and no one will give you a hard time for doing it badly. A good phrase to know is "Como se dice in Espanol (como say deesay in esspanyol) [English word]?", which means "How does one say [English word] in Spanish?" I use it a lot.

ggunn:
Wow, it's very unusual for the word "decimated" to be used correctly. Cool.

:lol: :lol:

ggunn:
Wow, it's very unusual for the word "decimated" to be used correctly.

I was unable to tell from the post whether "decimated" were being used correctly or not. On first reading, it seemed to me that the poster meant "severely damaged" but then went on to suggest the reefs had rebounded. How did you glean that "one-tenth destroyed" was the intended meaning?

Back
Top Bottom