Advice on cozumel dive for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens:
I was unable to tell from the post whether "decimated" were being used correctly or not. On first reading, it seemed to me that the poster meant "severely damaged" but then went on to suggest the reefs had rebounded. How did you glean that "one-tenth destroyed" was the intended meaning?

I don't really think that's what he meant, either, but it's more like what really happened. Many people say "decimated" when they mean "devastated", but the reefs at Cozumel were nowhere near devastated. I have been there twice since Wilma and seen it for myself, and "decimated" (in the literal) is a lot closer to what really happened.

ggunn:
I don't really think that's what he meant, either, but it's more like what really happened. Many people say "decimated" when they mean "devastated", but the reefs at Cozumel were nowhere near devastated. I have been there twice since Wilma and seen it for myself, and "decimated" (in the literal) is a lot closer to what really happened.

Some of us understood exactly what you meant :wink:

I reccommend Blue XT Sea while diving in Cozumel. They are quite possibly the best operator I have used. If you are doing some diving on the Riviera Maya side, say Tortuga's, Cenotes or the Mama Vina, check out Dive Mike. They are a quality operation, as well. Both of these operators take customer service quite seriously, and I'm sure you will be more than happy with both of them should you decide to dive with them. Mark G

ggunn:

Gordon, you sly old dog.

I didn't know you were such a cunning linguist.

Actually when you apply "decimate" to property and the like it means to "wipe it out, destroy it" , etc

The 10% refers to human destruction. Originally, the Romans used to "decimate" mutinous legions. That is, kill every 10th man (Probably the ring leaders)

Here's the dictionary stuff;

1 To destroy or kill a large part of (a group).
2 Usage Problem.
A.To inflict great destruction or damage on: The fawns decimated my rose bushes.
B.To reduce markedly in amount: a profligate heir who decimated his trust fund.
3 To select by lot and kill one in every ten of.

Shepman:
Gordon, you sly old dog.

I didn't know you were such a cunning linguist.

Actually when you apply "decimate" to property and the like it means to "wipe it out, destroy it" , etc

The 10% refers to human destruction. Originally, the Romans used to "decimate" mutinous legions. That is, kill every 10th man (Probably the ring leaders)

Here's the dictionary stuff;

1 To destroy or kill a large part of (a group).
2 Usage Problem.
A.To inflict great destruction or damage on: The fawns decimated my rose bushes.
B.To reduce markedly in amount: a profligate heir who decimated his trust fund.
3 To select by lot and kill one in every ten of.

True, but the broader meaning (synonym for devastate) is a give-it-up definition due to the chronic misuse of the word. From the Urban Dictionary:

===================================================
decimate

A frequently misused word.

Decimate literally means to reduce something by a tenth, but many people use it instead to mean "totally destroy." The word "obliterate" would be a better choice than "decimate."

Decimate comes from the root "deci-" which can be found in other words involving ten, "decimal" for example.
===================================================

"Irregardless" has now been declared a real word "irregardless" of the fact that it is a mosh of the words "regardless" and "irrespective", and makes no sense from an etymological standpoint.

I honestly thought there were two different meanings, one for people and one for property.

So would you say the reefs in Coz have suffered 10% damage?

more?

less?

Shepman:
I honestly thought there were two different meanings, one for people and one for property.

So would you say the reefs in Coz have suffered 10% damage?

more?

less?

Well, again, the expanded meaning is a surrender to long term misuse. "Deci-" literally means one tenth. One decimeter = 0.1 meter.

But yes, I'd say the loss of the reef is far closer to 10% than to complete devastation.

Thanks for all of the great advice thus far. If you had to choose between a Cozumel reef dive (sounds like paradise is the best of the shallow reefs?) or a turtle dive, which would you choose?

I have checked out the dive shops you have all recommended and they look great.

ggunn:
Well, again, the expanded meaning is a surrender to long term misuse. "Deci-" literally means one tenth. One decimeter = 0.1 meter.

(snip).

Long term misuse is also how language changes and evolves.

Wouldn't thee agree?

ccanfield:
Thanks for all of the great advice thus far. If you had to choose between a Cozumel reef dive (sounds like paradise is the best of the shallow reefs?) or a turtle dive, which would you choose?

I have checked out the dive shops you have all recommended and they look great.

If I had to choose I would do a reef dive in Cozumel. There are several good ones. Paradise is a fabulous night dive.

I'm sure I'll hear others say I'm wrong, but I'm not a fan of the Tortugas dive in PDC. To me it just seems like a Boca retirement village for turtles. There are usually 30+, but they just sit there like someone's grampa who isn't too thrilled the great grand kids came by to visit him in the home. I LOVE turtles. I just prefer to see them swimming around a reef or out along a wall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom