Ankle Weights!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave, steel or AL tank? Jacket, back-inflation BC or backplate? What thickness wetsuit and how much weight (approx) is your floaty-feeted student carrying?

Zept

All,

Thanks for your replies so far. Not too sure how this has resulted in a DIR/Stroke *****ing match but at least there's been some usefull info.

I think lying them both on the floor and getting them use to the horizontal position is a good idea. From there I'll evaluate what's required and try moving some weight around - I'll get back to you all and let you know how I went!!

Zept - Both divers are using a Steel cylinder and diving in 7mm semi-dry's. The instructor uses a BCD that has some back inflation and the student is just using the normal rental BCD. Not too sure how much weight either of them is carrying, I'll find out and let you know.

It just doesn't make any sense to me how the feet can be more floaty then the top half of the body!! If they were using drysuits then I could sort of understand but the bouyancy characteristics of a semi-dry are evenly spread (if anything more bouyant towards the head!!).

Time to get them in the water and try a few basic things like Mike suggested (thanks!).

Later - Dave.

Hi there

I have a dry suit with too large boots and positive legs. Yes, I know you don't understand. But as a female with a larger lower body than upper (yes, that's thick legs and small breasts) I feel more comfortable with ankel weights. I could probably learn more about trim, but so far that's what makes me comfortable:)

Probably the wrong place to post this, but as a new diver I find this discussion interesting.

I don't remember anyone mentioning what correct trim even was on either my OW or AOW courses, and I had never really considered the affect that weight distribution has on trim. I think I swim slightly head down, but since I can't actually watch myself swimming who knows what the reality is.

Anyway carrying around little or no thermal insulation of my own (6ft , 155), and spending most of last weekend shivering in a 6.5 mm farmer john, in 50 degree water, I bought a drysuit, since I figured I might need some extra weight I also picked up a pair of 2lb ankle weights. Is this likely to detrimentally affect the probably already bad trim I have, should I condsider moving the extra weight elsewhere?

ERP once bubbled...
Is this likely to detrimentally affect the probably already bad trim I have, should I condsider moving the extra weight elsewhere?
Most likely... but they can be considered training wheels for novice drysuit divers... a better way to go would be velcro straps around the ankles to keep your feet in the boots (unless you are using rock boots.)

To get an idea of correct horizontal trim lay on your tummy on the floor with legs bent at the knee and feet pointing back.

You can check yourself out in the water by tipping your head down and looking directly back between your legs. If you can't do this and see behind yourself you are not horizontal.

Often in submerged hardware design it's advantagous to use small concentrated weights at extreme distances from the center of buoyancy to tweak trim in order to keep the overall buoyancy correct.

My only question is why use ankle weights for a permanent trim fix for hard sole dry boots? If a small long radius wieght actually is the best way to go heavy sheet lead insoles are more streamlined, requre less overall weight, and do not have ANY snag hazard. Fabrication is easy and cheap requiring a bit of roofing lead flashing and a pair of snips or a sharp blade. Lead is roughly .4 pounds per cubic inch making volume calculations quite easy too.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom