Annual Service Question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditto, the only time I had a reg fail was immediately after service. It was working just
fine before the annual. They blamed it on a defective 1st stage replacement part.

Land Locked:
Ditto, the only time I had a reg fail was immediately after service. It was working just
fine before the annual. They blamed it on a defective 1st stage replacement part.
Its always someone else's fault.

I certaily agree that ultimately it is my responsibility.. but with the poor service and inability to check at the shop I had no chance to test things out before the first dive.

I also don't really know what to check and that bugs the heck out of me, I've tried to rectify it in a kind of half hearted way but if someone can tell me the name of the book I will definately be buying it.. I figure if I can rebuild the fuel injectors on my volkswagon a reg can't be too difficult.

They Still have my Octo, and have not had a chance to respond to my comments so I don't want to name them.

On the other side of the coin the dive op that was so helpful was Divetec on Grand Cayman and I can't say enough good things about them..

ajames54:
They Still have my Octo, and have not had a chance to respond to my comments so I don't want to name them.

I've never understood why some think it's noble and upright to not name names. Unless you're lying, if the facts are what you say, then there is nothing negative in naming a business. When a business is named in a complaint here, that business is usually contacted and given a fair chance to respond. And while they usually have a different version of the story, it's amazing how often and quickly the issue gets resolved when they know 50,000 divers are watching.

Go to the website awap mentioned: www.airspeedpress.com (I think -- check on page 2 of this thread). There are excerpts from the book on regulator repair that give you some simple tests you can do yourself, if you have a bucket and a tank.

Scuba Equipment Care and Maintenance is a good basic book that can help you to start being responsible for your own gear. The authors are Michael Farley and Charles Royer. Also taking an Equipment Specialty course would not be a bad idea. Find a shop that does one where they let you inspect a tank and valve, Watch a reg get rebuilt step by step, and how to do basic manintenance on your bc and other gear. Blindly trusting anyone is asking for trouble. Stuff happens. Your LDS sound like a pain but it's simple common sense to check hoses, second stages and bc mechanisms. This stuff is no harder than changing a tire or your own oil. It takes a few tools, a little time and effort, and a willingness to do things for yourself. You wouldn't trust anyone to set up your gear why would you not at least check it yourself. And if someone won't or can't set up their own stuff regardless of what the op says is SOP they might want to find another sport.

Regardless of whether you service your own gear or not, I think it's a good idea to have a basic understanding of how things work and, more specifically, how they don't work. :D Kinda like the difference between knowing how to change your own spark plugs and knowing that fire coming out from under the hood is bad. :)

Any chance you could PM me the name if you are reluctant to post it publicly? As I also live in Toronto I want to know which shop to avoid.

Mel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom