Annual Service Question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow that's scary...makes me feel a little better about having a 2 year service interval on my regs. But I think I will take some maintenance course or send them directly to Atomic for service.

Cheers.

-J.-

I agree that this is in fact a very dangerous situation, and people should be warned about this LDS... we are talking about life support equipment here. This annual service is supposed to make your dive SAFER, not potentially kill you. I find it hard to beleive this LDS is authorized to do this service.

It disturbs me that people put so much trust in their LDS- Don't get me wrong- I like mine and they are very good to me, but my LDS isn't jumping in the water with me.

How many of the OP's gear issues would have been avoided by a quick pre-dive equipment check? Loose hoses, loose BC. Yes the poor customer service is the LDS' issue, but things can go wrong with the gear in transit or sitting on a boat. What if someone dropped a weight belt on the gear bag?

Well I was thinking :confused:give the LDS some slack, they had to put the reg together in a very shot time when you came in the store.Then I started rereading the OP and then I thougt hell no this can't be.
6 weeks still not ready
no way to test a reg(no tanks)
no info on a delay

Wat was I thinking :11:
It doesn't take 6 weeks
Any LDS has tanks
Any LDS should give info on delays
AND you don't put regs together in a rush.

I find the whole customer service appalling. Six weeks is loads of time for a shop to service a reg, including ordering parts if necessary. No wonder the OP didn't have a chance to pool test the gear. If there is a delay, then the shop should call the customer and let him know what the holdup is. I'm troubled that they couldn't tell him why the part needed replacing. Seems very suspicious. That dive shop should be apologizing effusively. That said, please remember to check your hoses before a dive. :)

(Reminds of the the following joke: A guy took his shoes to be fixed, then moved from the town forgetting to pick them up. Two years later he's back in town on business and he goes into the repair shop to see if they still have his shoes. The proprietor goes to the back room, checks and says, "You're in luck, they're still here. They'll be ready next Thursday")

LDS screwed up big time and deserves to be named and invited to defend itself.

But ultimately the diver needs to accept responsibility for his gear and his diving. It is quite simple to check all connections to insure they can not be undone by hand. Such a check would have corrected these problems before they got in the water.

If you are really interested in DIY reg service, here is the place to start: www.airspeedpress.com

Buy the book, get the tools, do it yourself. You can't trust an LDS to do the work anymore, there was a time, but its gone. We hear many more reports of regulators malfunctioning after service than due to no service. Perhaps we'd all do better to not service at all and just toss it after 3-5 years.

I've never had a reg fail excpet immediately after "service". And the failure rate runs 30-50%...

It's called "life support equipment" when they're trying to talk you out of buying it online, but after the purchase, it's not treated as such...

Roak

Ps. Long ago on this board (which means it's really buried) there was a poll as to when regs failed on people. Over 90% were immediately after annual service.

Thalassamania:
Buy the book, get the tools, do it yourself. You can't trust an LDS to do the work anymore, there was a time, but its gone. We hear many more reports of regulators malfunctioning after service than due to no service. Perhaps we'd all do better to not service at all and just toss it after 3-5 years.

Listen to this man, he knows of what he says.

captain:
Listen to this man, he knows of what he says.
Flattery will get you everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom