Annual Service Question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the thread on what makes a good diver, maybe being able to service one's own equipment should be part of being a good diver.

MelC:
Any chance you could PM me the name if you are reluctant to post it publicly? As I also live in Toronto I want to know which shop to avoid.

Mel

He said in previous threads that he was certified at Scuba 2000 and got most of his gear at Waterline. I'm guessing the latter.

This topic has consumed my thoughts often since my fourteen year old daughters rented BCD inflater valve stuck open on a night dive in Cayman Brac this past July.
It scared the hell out of all involved as she came to the surface in a cloud of bubbles. The cause was lack of, or, improper servicing of the equipment.
Since that I bought us all new equipment, ( bdc's, reg's, computers ), and dove without incident in Cuba this winter.
Now my concern is getting this new equip. serviced at a dealer I can trust, and to do a good job not leaving us in the same position as the many fellow board members I have read in the last six months have ended up in after getting their equip. serviced.
I do agree that we should take some responsibility our selfs and do some checks after servicing.
The manuals suggested seem like a great tools to educate yourself as to what to look out for after servicing. Does anyone know which is the better manual, Airspeed's scuba reg. maintains and repair or Regulator Savvy.

Regards

Well I finally got it back, almost 5 months later. I had to contact Apex and Aqualung to get anything going but I got it back... no explanation, no apology..
Yes it was waterline sports it appears that the only guy who knew customer service does't work there anymore.

do it easy:
It disturbs me that people put so much trust in their LDS- Don't get me wrong- I like mine and they are very good to me, but my LDS isn't jumping in the water with me.

How many of the OP's gear issues would have been avoided by a quick pre-dive equipment check? Loose hoses, loose BC. Yes the poor customer service is the LDS' issue, but things can go wrong with the gear in transit or sitting on a boat. What if someone dropped a weight belt on the gear bag?

Wow...I feel really lucky because my LDS kicks ***! They service my gear, they offer (and recommend) pool time anytime when they do classes (and I only have to pay for the pool entrance at the college they use that everyone has to pay) heck before I owned my own, they even provided full cylinders to use for testing purposes.

This past winter, I tested my gear post annual service, checked out my new cylinder and had fun...then when they did a Dive Rite demo, topped off my tank (for free) and let me play with demo gear! I dive with them on a fairly regular basis, and attend all of their fun functions! Can't beat that set up! (and their prices are VERY competetive with anyone online)

Anyway...not to hijack the thread....I would find a new place to get my stuff checked...that place sounds like a HUGE accident waiting to happen for someone! (Luckily you lived to tell about it!)

Thalassamania:
. Perhaps we'd all do better to not service at all and just toss it after 3-5 years.

Please do as he says. I do have a regulator disposal service and to be very honest, times are getting tough. But as a special favor to all scubaboarders, :humble: for the next 5 years, no make it 10, a lot of people here have special needs. I will dispose of your regulators at absolutely NO CHARGE zero, not a penny..

Pm me for the shipping address and then just ship it in and forget it. I'll take care of it from there. :D

Thalassamania:
Buy the book, get the tools, do it yourself.

What tools and what course? What level do you need to be at to take such courses? I have my Rescue scheduled in a couple of months, then onto DM. Is that a part of DM? Never really thought about it before but from a guy who has built several classic cars from junkyard scrap, I would like to be able to service my own (and possibly more for my LDS) regulator(s).

Back
Top Bottom