Annual Service Question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajames54

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Should this be in Whine and Cheeze? or a Gear question or ???.. well here seems to get the most traffic..

At the end of December I took my wife’s and my regs in for their annual.. they went back to the store where they were purchased. I was told at the time they would be 10 days, fine I told them they would be needed Feb 15th well over 6 weeks of time.

The week before we were to leave I called the shop.. “ they are not ready, we are waiting for a part”
What part I ask, well it turns out that my octo needs a non warranty part .. odd since it was only used once (ever) for 20 minutes at the end of the last dive I was on and it worked flawlessly at the time. (the mouth piece on my primary gave up the ghost)

Well why wasn’t I called about that?
Nobody knows.
When is the part expected?
Nobody knows
What was wrong with the part that made replacement necessary?
Nobody knows
Will it be ready for me to take on vacation?
No

Some significant angry discussion later they lend me a low end rental octo for the trip.

OK so can I test them in the shop? No we don’t keep tanks here.. Sigh.

Off we go on vacation, very first dive my wife hooks up her reg on the boat.. and its pissing air where the octo hose joins the first stage.. hey look it isn’t even finger tight!
Tighten it up, still pissing air. Hmm, o-ring anybody? Not to worry the dive op has a spare set of regs on the boat. Dive saved.

After the dive we took it into the dive ops shop sure enough it was the o ring, it was broken and golly it looks to be the wrong size! Lets check the rest. Look here, so was the ring on the primary but only the octo was actually broken.. the shop replaced one at no charge, now knowing what was wrong I replaced the second myself. (did not want it to break at the wrong time).

Did the issues end there? No, a couple days later at 60 odd feet my primary starts pissing air where it is attached to the hose, not just a little air either a lot. I can’t see what is wrong because of all the bubbles so I grab my wife and signal her to turn off my tank, when the bubbles clear my primary is only attached to the hose by a couple of threads.

I orally inflate my BCD since I feel I have more control that way, turns out that for the last few days it has been quietly unthreading itself every time I took it out and replaced it and it finally got far enough along that it was no longer sealed. At the time and at the depth however I could not tell that that is what was going on so we had to thumb the dive.

Yes I’m ticked, no they wont be getting another dime from me, apart from venting my spleen I guess the purpose of this message is to ask others if this type of idiotic and poor service is as rare as I would hope. I’m told the manufacturers don’t want you servicing you own gear due to liability issues.. well I intend to let them know they will be held liable for not letting me do work on my own (1).. I KNOW I wont make those kind of stupid mistakes.

(1) I know they wont care but I asked well before this how to take their service course

Lesson learned. Find a new LDS.

I guess this is the exalted LDS "service" that the shills always warn us we will miss out on if we buy our stuff online. And the annual service that is supposed to give us "peace of mind" that everything will work well on our vacation and keep us safe. After all, it is "life support" we're talking about.

Two of my LDS's are uptight about letting serviced regulators out of the store prior to the customer hooking them up to a tank and breathing on them.

My experience with our LDS and service has been great.

What type of LDS does NOT have tanks? Find another LDS!

One lesson you may want to take away, dive your stuff BEFORE a vacation in the pool if that is all that is available. Also check out your gear YOURSELF to the extent you can.

You are certainly capable of tightening down connections between the first stage and hoses, and hoses to seconds. I swap hoses on my regs all the time depending on if I dive dry, wet, with a long hose, or with an Octo+. You don't need a class to attach hoses to first and second stages, and hoses can work loose, so check them before you dive.

I can highly recommend TechDivingLimited for Service. Send them you stuff, a week later you get it back ready to roll. I KNOW they do a good job because the last first stage I sent them had a blown seal. It came back good as the day I bought it, and has worked flawlessly.

I brought my brand new ford pickup truck in for its first oil change. They said I needed new shock, and pointed to some oil stain on the shock.

I said, the truck's got only 4000 miles on it. "Oh, then it probably doesn't need new shocks"...

a LDS that doesn't keep tanks there? how the heck to they check the intermediate pressure during a regulator service? (the answer is I guess they don't check it and therefore do a pathetic job of service).

Like the others said, time to find a new LDS.

Is this a case for name and shame. I say YES
Given your experience I feel that any diver who uses this LDS needs to know what happened to you.
What excuse did the shop give you.

Back
Top Bottom