Another Frog Kick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience in any technique that I have learned (not only scuba) if it does not feel right you probably do it wrong. The movement should be done relaxed with only those muscles that have direct influence on the movement. All I do when I try do work on techniques - just relax do the movements relaxed, play with the angles and see which one works more natural and gives better push with less effort. Trained people last longer not because they have stronger muscles but because they know when to relax and when to work the muscle and they know right angles at which the effort is applied. Each person has different body composition and what can work for one will does not work for all. This is why in sport after learning basics each finds which style works better for him/her.

It's my humble opinion.

If you really watch a frog kick, or even watch old Olympics when the breast strokes did the best human versions of the frog kick, you would then have to call the kick in that youtube video the modified frog kick.

Sure we are clumsy and not very hydrodynamic but sheeesh there has to be better video than that!

Frog kicking is harder on your knees, at least that is what I can tell from observing myself and watching others do it. Ergonomically speaking, the flutter kick is much better, but if you are in an environment that is not conducive to the flutter kick, it is better to reverse to the frog kick. It's about picking the lesser of two evils.

No foolin, after being a ski instructor since the age of 20, i can;t do it without major discomfort.

No foolin, after being a ski instructor since the age of 20, i can;t do it without major discomfort.

So, with less than 24 dives you have given up on the frog kick?

I grew up with skis on, and I have heard many new skiers (less than 24 days) say the snowplow (or the jump turn for those with less than 24 really steep days!) was a major discomfort. A few years down the road that statement on a video would be pretty funny to many of those whiners. :D

Frankly, I've never cared for the terminology. A real "frog kick" would be similar to the Olympics breast stroke mentioned above. None of this 90 degree bent knee with the leg pointing straight up business, we'd be emulating, ya know, frogs. The tech frog kick is a modification of an actual frog kick, with the bent leg technique added to assist in the achieving non-silting goal. The tech "modified frog" kick is a further modification of that.

But that's my own personal nit-pick. :D

All that said, the more you do it, the more you develop the rarely-used muscles that assist with it, and more it becomes second nature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom