Another LDS Experience Gone Sour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was a stupid move. You tried stuff on, used their time and resources, then bought the same piece of gear off the internet because it saved you money.

You were wrong, and if I were the dive shop guy I would have done the same thing.

Note to self: Dont hire Jonnythan to manage sales in my future dive shop....

BTW, I'm the biggest supporter of internet sales around. Just look at my sig.

But thats Just it. I didn't buy the same thing. I tried on a DR transplate with weight pockets, other pockets, straps, clips, and pads in the LDS. What I actually bought was a standard SS DR backplate, with 1 piece hogarth harness and standard rec wing. Not opposites, but in my opinion two completely different products, and marketed such. As went along I started thinking about the simplicity and I liked it. And then When I found what I did, it was a deal too good to pass up. It was exactly what I wanted, I had the loot, and the price was right.

The reason I didn't buy the transplate in the store at the time of the test was because I was trying to get an idea of how much cash I needed. I was looking at two vastly different bcds and the prices reflected that. I was trying to figure out which one I wanted more so that I could save my money to match my decision. Had the person at the shop asked me something about my rational instead of shooting off said mouth, it would've saved me the bull and them the sale. Id really rather not reveal the name of either the person or the shop but the salesman wasn't a 'he' as you all are referring to.

Just wanted to clear up a few points, and am trying to decide whether or not I made the correct decision.

Thanks guys
-Matt

If I spent a couple of hours at a BMW dealership talking with a salesman who was giving me technical information, advice, and stories, and took the time to go out on a test drive with me, then I went down the road to the next dealership where the salesmen don't know anything and bought my new 530xi because the price on the window was lower, I would be disgusted with myself and I would certainly expect the salesman to give me the cold shoulder if I went back later for something else.

You took advantage of the services they offer for free up front and went behind their backs and bought the item online at a discount without even giving them a shot at the sale. The extra money they charge for the item is to pay for the knowledgeable staff, pool, and storefront. You basically told them their time, their store, their knowledge, and their pool are worth nothing whatsoever to you.

mossym:
excellent points..and i agree...but i also think if you want the savings, you need to give up something, i.e. the ability to go try it on in a pool and see who it works..that's extra over what you get online, so you pay more...or at least that's the way i see it..
I'll agree with that, and if it was a matter of $40-$60 bucks on a $300 item, I'd agree with you, but for a savings of $200-$300 dollars, I'll guess at my sizing and pay for the shipping to send it back and get the right fit. LDS's have value, I'm not denying that, however their value is not worth 30%-100% markup on gear over the internet pricing IMHO. I'd love to walk into any one of my LDS's and see prices even remotely close to Internet pricing (and pay sales tax), if this happened I'd be happy to support my local economy and small businesses. I won't do it and pay a substantial markup just because their business model blows out of a sense of loyalty or fear of "where will I get my airfills?"

I don’t where some dive shops get their attitudes. Getting upset with a customer because they took their time and then bought elsewhere is ridiculous. They should be upset with themselves. They have a customer in their store, possibly ready to buy and they can’t close the deal. Do they question their product, their prices, or their sales skills? No, they blame the customer. As long as the customer keeps coming through the door you have a chance of a sale. If you drive them away I think your chances of making a sale to them is substantially diminished.

At this time I primarily shop at one LDS. I stop in there to browse, visit, try and sometimes buy even though their prices to be quite high in comparison to other dive shops in my area. I go there because I like the people and partially because of a feeling of loyalty I feel as they were the dive op I did my dive training with.
From early on during my OW class I had decided to make one major purchase from the LDS as a “no strings” show of support to their business. After that purchase my LDS would have to pretend that they are a real business and earn my dollar like any other business would have to do. Now, I still stop there first before looking elsewhere, but if they don’t carry the brands I want, can’t come up with a competitive price, or they don’t stock it, well, I’m sorry but, that is just too bad. Any time that my LDS feels as though I am taking up too much of their precious time they are welcome to ask me and my money to leave. I’m sure that there is another kind hearted dive shop out there somewhere that would be willing to take us in.
Just my two cents.

Did the local shop have the gear that you purchased? Did their price on these items differ by $300?
It appears that your argument may be skewed by a confusion between prices of two different items. Saying that you saved $300 by purchasing off the internet implies that the products were identical. Is that the case?

"The road to hell is paved with **** intentions".

Well wrong or not, the LDS is the one who suffers. No matter what, theres really no way they can win because in the end by belittling me and talking down to me, theyve driven away a decent amount of money. When you think that I wanted to get my AOW and Rescue, my dad was going to get certified through them and my mom was thinking of it...as well as the fact that I was close to buying a new PST 121 that day...which is no small amount of money in itself...

I feel bad that I "wasted their time" shopping in their store.

-Matt

Nice rant Matt. Point made.

Customers are only interested in quality, price, and service. Fail on any of these and the customer is going to walk whether its brick & mortar or a cyber store. There are Dive Shops and On-Line Vendors alike on my scratch list.

Geeezzzz I tried a $400 BC on at the LDS today and got an offer for a pool demo. Am I gonna feel guilty if I go buy the same one somewhere else or a lower priced model? Nope. He offered the demo with no conditions. I will feel no more guilty than taking a test drive in a car at a dealership and getting a better deal on the same car somewhere else. I bet you'll find most people on here have done that buying a car and didn't give it a second thought or draw a parallel. Did you ever have to pay the wages of the salesman, the gas, or a rental fee on a test drive? No! Its a cost of doing business.

The LDS gets the first shot at selling me. Apparently you gave this guy a shot too. However, I will give the LDS the courtesy of matching the deal. Something missing from your story that probably really bent the dude out of shape more than anything. Maybe you should have given him a shot at matching the downgrade on the hogarth harness set up just as a courtesy. You might have missed a potential better deal or, if he went nuts then, Dad might have spent his $140 or less somewhere else and saved you both the long trip this weekend. Like you, I'll go a few extra bucks if the service and convenience makes up for it on the price tag. Things like regs fall in that category with warranty and annual service.

The guy should have been more interested in knowing why he didn't get your business and what it will take to bring it back, even if it meant asking you with a big grin to please give him a chance to match the other guy next time and tell you what he could do that the other guy can't do. Then he might have sold you a tank, kept a customer, and cut his loss a bit on the pool time.

I dropped over $4K last year in scuba gear and lessons between 3 LDSs last summer and fall. Less than a year later I'm back as a dad helping his son get trained and outfitted. And since he's footing a good chunk of the bill, we'll go cut the best deal to get him wet and keep him safe. BTW his kid brother has a graduation present due next year. Good observation on the sales potential missed. Shame this guy wasn't thinking ahead.

You appear to have a bright future in marketing.

Good luck in college and safe diving :)

Back
Top Bottom