any awesome wrecks sites in philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
Oh, how much I'd love to do that... some day... Tom Smedley (he was stationed at Clark; I was in and out of Cubi/Subic from '73 to '85) and I dream of returning for a few weeks diving, San Miguel and pancit and lumpia and adobo... shrimp with peanut sauce... I love the food as much as the diving there. To see the Mayon volcano at sunrise while cruising the inland Philippine sea again... Baguio... the rice terraces of Luzon... there is a special place in my heart for the PI and her people.
The Lovely Young Kat & I spent some wonderful time there and we plan to return. But it will be a few more years.
Rick

wel be waiting with san miguel beer and all our local delicacies!

Rick,
Would anybody just so happen to have the GPS for the Musashi or the Yamashiro (sunk in the Surigao straights)? Has anybody ever attempted to dive these wrecks? Anybody have a idea of how deep of waters these wrecks where sunk in? Any help would greatly be appreciated

andibk.

Rick Murchison:
Musashi is correct. Sunk in the Sibuyan Sea.
The other 18" gunship was the Yamato...
---
"On 24 October 1944, while participating in the Battle
for Leyte Gulf, MUSASHI was attacked by aircraft from USS
ENTERPRISE, CABOT, INDEPENDENCE and INTREPID. Over a 4 1/2
hour period, she was hit by 17 bombs and 20 torpedoes and
sank taking 1,023 officers and men with her, 43% of her
complement.
YAMATO ended her career, as the ultimate kamikaze. On
6 April 1945, she sailed with one light cruiser and nine
destroyers<19> from Japan's Inland Sea with orders to
attack the US invasion fleet around Okinawa (1,500 ships).
After fighting her way through, she was to beach herself
on Okinawa and become a fortress to aid the defenders
against the American ground troops. The next day, while
still 270 miles north of Okinawa, the force was attacked by
many aircraft from Task Force 58. YAMATO took 13
torpedoes, 8 bombs and sank, killing 3,063 men."
From this site.
Rick

andibk:
Rick,
Would anybody just so happen to have the GPS for the Musashi or the Yamashiro (sunk in the Surigao straights)? Has anybody ever attempted to dive these wrecks? Anybody have a idea of how deep of waters these wrecks where sunk in? Any help would greatly be appreciated

andibk.
The Musashi capsized to port and sinks by the bow in 4,430 feet of water in the Visayan Sea at 13-07N, 122-32E,
http://www.combinedfleet.com/musashi.htm

Yeah, thats pretty deep.

now... let's find sponsors to raise the wreck and move it to Anilao .... any takers? Probably when Jag wins the Lotto...

subzero:
The Musashi capsized to port and sinks by the bow in 4,430 feet of water in the Visayan Sea at 13-07N, 122-32E,
http://www.combinedfleet.com/musashi.htm

Yeah, thats pretty deep.

The PI is filled with wrecks. Its been a long time since I dove there a lot and many of the ones that I was on may not have been identified at the time. Some that stand out in my mind are a very large ship that I believe to be a carrier straight out from the San Miguel Communications Station north of Subic. There are islands there called the Capones and the wreck was in about 130 feet of water directly out from the beach where we launched Bancas. From more than 100 feet I could see about five hammerheads that were as long as the Banca swim underneath the boat. We asked the Bancero "Did you see the sharks?" He answered "Wuh." We asked, "How big were they?" He stared at the sky and answered "Big."

Another place where there were lots of wrecks and tanks was at San Fernando la Union. Also a place called "Thousand Islands." (reminded me of the Rock Islands in Palau.) We jumped out on one site where a large Banca with a compressor chugging away lay at anchor. We did 150 feet and as we passed a diver with plywood nailed to shoes for flippers and an old gas mask as a scuba unit was sawing away at some metal with a hacksaw. He was at about 115 feet. He was already there when we arrived and still sawing away when we finished out dive. All of a sudden the chugging compressor made some sort of pitiful noise and left us with silence. The Bancero started pulling the diver up by the hose as fast as he could. The diver sat on the deck in near convulsion while the operator restarted the compressor and threw the diver back in. We didn't wait around to see what happened but when we asked our Bancero he just shrugged and said "Walang pawis."

Another set of great dives was driving to Cabcaben in Bataan and taking a banca across to Corregidor. Absoutely great stuff there!

There is absoutely nothing like getting off work on night shift and picking up a chicken barcecued on none other than chicken wire, a dozen or two hot pan de sol and reaching in the fridge for three or two ice cold San Miguels. It always set my day off to a good start. One mistake I did make is to take the Rabbit to Baguio city after a string of night shifts. I leaned my head against the window and fell asleep. I awoke when the driver was passing on the wrong side of the road and could only see clouds below me.

Why don't we go back Rick???

If you want to dive wrecks up North as Tom has narrated I know just the guy to contact. Tim Aukshun. His a PADI CD (the very first one in the Philippines) based in La Union and has a shop, Ocean Deep, and he has gas mixing facilities and he is a DSAT Tec Intructor trainer.

paolov:
Probably when Jag wins the Lotto...

sorry boys and girls... i've already decided to buy an a70 camera and stuff with my lotto money after seeing the diff between the shots caloy took and the ones that came out of my POS u/w digital cam...

i have also withdrawn my "libre ko kayo ng liveaboard" offer due to this...

so no moving the musashi to anilao (but wouldn't THAT be a wonder huh!) until i win the lotto a second time

Jag

Tom Smedley:
Why don't we go back Rick???
Why indeed... let's get together and just plan it. Maybe four years out at this point, but let's just pencil it in and do it!
Rick :)

Axua:
If you want to dive wrecks up North as Tom has narrated I know just the guy to contact. Tim Aukshun. His a PADI CD (the very first one in the Philippines) based in La Union and has a shop, Ocean Deep, and he has gas mixing facilities and he is a DSAT Tec Intructor trainer.

thanks bro il keep that in mind me and chip are considering either coron or subic sometime nov.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom