Any comments on the BCD inflater integrated Octos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:

Instructo with a twist... teaching experience of 2.9 decades, not months, and still current.

I much prefer to hear from these two types below: :D

"How about the self-proclaimed expert: Dispenses free advice and is an expert on any number of topics, yet is either not certified or has very few dives.

hehehehe....

a variation thereof:

The Theoretical Genius: TheoGeo knows how to do everything ... in theory. he's actually never done anything he talks about, but can give you precise advice on
how to do ... everything. while TheoGeo does not own double tanks, he can
tell you how to assamble them. TheoGeo has never been to Bonaire, but he
knows the best restaurants."

Chad

RJP3:
Do you use that sort of sarcastic/mocking tone with other new divers? That's real nice. (Note to self: update list of dive operators/instuctors to avoid.)

In my wreck training I've had occasion to ascend from 80ft while sharing air with an OOA. Had plenty of time to get to the line, ascend to a one min deep stop at 40' a one minute stop at 25' and a five minute stop at 15' - at that point we were right at the dive platform with 800psi left in my main tank and 1000psi left in the stage.

Guess I need more training...

:)

Sorry Ray, I apologize.
I shoud have gone a little easier on you in my response.

I'm truly glad your OOA worked out so well.
I had one real easy one too.

I just have trouble not letting my Irish get up a bit, when I hear this kind of preaching from a newbie.

"Come do some diving off the NJ coast in 3-6ft seas with a nice current and you'll think differently about a direct ascent vs coming up the anchor line."
:)

"You come up off the anchor line around here and you're just asking for trouble":

"It's a good way to make sure you're never welcome on that boat again, and to rule out a dozen or so divers as potential buddies."

I've learned a lot listening to some of the good instructors and many experienced divers on this board. I think divingjd is one of them. I know Mike Ange knows his stuff.

BTW, everybody needs more training... you know the saying. I'll be first to say that I have plenty still to learn.

Good Diving to you, and be careful out there! I'm going tomorrow for two days.

Chad

Chad Carney:

Sorry Ray, I apologize.
I shoud have gone a little easier on you in my response.

I'm truly glad your OOA worked out so well.
I had one real easy one too.

I just have trouble not letting my Irish get up a bit, when I hear this kind of preaching from a newbie...

No sweat, I'm over it.

That said, I wasn't preaching. Just providing a realistic assesment on what the situation would be here in NJ. As you point out, may not be the RIGHT way to appproach it, but that's the way it IS approached here in NJ.

You come up off the anchor line, away from the boat, you had better have a dead or near-dead diver with you. If you don't, one will be supplied.

Fuggedaboutit!

Remember, in NJ The Sopranos is a "reality show."

No time to read whole thread
3 words sum it up.
DON'T DO IT.
If you have to share air in an OOA situation
it dramatically increases your task loading
trying to control accent via inflator while breathing from same,
all the while trying to monitor accent speed.
Add to this that your buddy may be somewhat excited from the OOA
and be trying to rush to the surface.
It's alot for an experienced diver to deal with,
much less the newbies that these things are usually marketed to.
Trust me on this one.
Buy a good reg as an octo and save that extra money and
put it toward a computer or some other gear

To our man in Jacksonville: Diving is easy and fun. Be careful, and learn as you go. The small oceanic octo, as a stand-alone, works really well. My daughter's instructor really likes it, too. The Cressi wrist computer is a real good one. I got mine from LeisurePro.com, and they sent a replacement when I had a small problem. These should fit your price range. I plan on keeping mine a long time. Florida is a great place to dive, and hopefully you have as much fun as we do. Hopefully, I've answered your question.

If you feel you have enough skills to use an integrated octo/inflator, use one. If you lack the skills to use on in an OOA situation, don't. Simple as that. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of maybe jumping in the water with their dive buddy and actually practicing using an octo/inflator? I read most of the posts and don't remember seeing anyone suggest doing so.
Every piece of eqipment in scuba diving has pros and cons to someone, so find out what side you lean towards for yourself.

stevetim:
<snip> I wonder if anyone has ever thought of maybe jumping in the water with their dive buddy and actually practicing using an octo/inflator? <snip>
Does post #5 count?

Every piece of eqipment in scuba diving has pros and cons to someone, so find out what side you lean towards for yourself.
I agree emphatically.

All the best, James

My wife dives an Atomic SS1 and it works fine for her. I use a long hose and an octo, but I am an entirely different diver. For recreational use it really comes down to what is comfortable for you, AND you must practice.

OOA doesn't happen often and whether you use an integrated unit or an octo this is a skill that should be practiced.

The SS1 has 2 buttons, one very large and one that is smaller. The small button is the inflate. This isn't true on all integrated so you need to know the equipment.

In a high task loading (stressfull) situation you are going to grab that reg to use so you can offer your primary. If you are not in total control and thinking calmly, you might depress the wrong button or not realize you depressed any button and find yourself on the surface a lot quicker than you planned. There is a post on here that tells this very real life experience.

If I can find it I will post it later, it is very good reading.

As for your buddy panicking and taking you to the surface, if I was their dive buddy they won't get any closer to the surface than the 7' length of hose on my primary.

Definately try to dive it before you buy it

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom