any other agencies other than padi and naui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't agree with your statement about PADI rushing students and instructor's through their program. That has not been my experience. I've met crappy instructors/divers from various agencies including NAUI. If you get a chance pick up the Fall 2002 issue of Imersed magazine, there's an article on Tech training. They summarize the various agencies, it might be helpful to you.

O-ring once bubbled...
Generally accepted knowledge on the board is that the instructor is much more important than choice of agency affiliation. Find a good instructor and you will get good training, no matter what your card says.

As far as universally accepted, you will probably have no problems with any of them, but PADI is definitely the largest and most prolific.

i have to agree with o-ring.
i had a great instructor :) he's been certified by padi, ssi, cmas, naui and udi :) his general remark is that there is very little difference now days between agencies and their courses. i was actually certified by the udi (united diving instructors, affiliated with cmas) and at the same time there was a women with me taking a course and she was certified by ssi. i didn't see any difference in the materials, teaching methods or anything like that...

detox once bubbled...
are they worth going for? is there a site that compares differences? I am looking for something that is most widely reckognized and accepted

MINIMUM stardards are set by the Recreational Scuba Training Council. SSI, NAUI,YMCA, IDEA, PADI are all recognized and accepted anywhere you go, as far as I know.

Make sure, that whoever you take from, is very safety conscious and that the agency they certify with teaches dive tables to you.

Thanks everyoen for the advice. I Guess I'll snoop around for good intructors and start from there. I"m sure my local dive shop can assist. THanks again!

from a PADI instructor that was pretty good. Since then I've read up on everything I can and learned quite a bit about the technical part of diving. For an advanced OW course (you'll never find me in a cave) I would like an instructor that focuses on skill practice and not theory, because it's experience I'm looking for. Following a buddy around at 60 feet in a lake really teaches me nothing about handling an emergency - I guess that's my biggest interest. Staying alive under pressure.

Which agency would lean more in that direction?

At our shop we do almost all the agencies. We prefer SSI because of support. They are a non profit and they keep you very informed on changes, updates, and research. They have recently incorperated collage credits in their training. It was said earlier to look at the instructor. He will make the differance in your diving skills and comfort. The one thing you will find in diving, if someone is an internet diver or not comfortable in the water they will never admit it. They are usualy the first ones to point a finger.

I got my EANx cert from SSI and was very happy with both the format and content of the training. SSI combines videos, book and lecture sessions to give a well rounded training experience.

:thumb:

I'm not sure but is ACUC in your area.I certified through them and found that they taught a bit above the others.
I recently heard a student on her open water dive course say her husband was taking the naui basic and they wern't even teaching him dive tables.
I also have an instructer that switched from naui to ACUC and he seems to find that there is more content taught in ACUC courses.
Take it for what it's worth and check them all out.You pick the one you are most comfortable with.
By the way you can get on the ACUC web site to find out moe.A general search will take you there.

I do agree with a lot of the comments that the instructor makes all the difference.

Hi...

I just got my certification by SSI. I liked them a lot. I didn't feel rushed and I had an amazing instructor. By the time I went for my OW dives last week I felt really comfortable.

Hope that helps
Donna

Back
Top Bottom