Any reports of vis in Lobos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik, you really don't have to worry about loking fat. Sorry I didn't make it to say hi to everyone. I did one dive at BW, we intended to go to the barge, but after descending we determined that even if we could find it, we wouldn't be able to see anything unless we were right on top of it. One of my buddies (the one I usually navigate with) had a new electronic compass and didn't like it very much, it wouldn't stay on for longer than 5 mins, and as this was a no viz dive, it was easy to get turned around. We decided just to swim back in along the wall, but somehow keep veering off to 30 degrees and staying at 42 feet forever. It was time to just take a bearing of 180, find the wall before running into it, and come back in. I had a Sharks playoff game at 5, wanted to get home and rinse my gear before the game. I also wasn't sure I'd get to Lobos, pay my $10 to enter, then have you all be underwater, in doubles, to return 2.5 hours later :)

Wow -- that viz was fabulous! It's my understanding that it's cold upwellings that bring the clear water. We had 46 degrees there last May, and all the locals were freezing, but the viz was just frankly tropical.

Wow -- that viz was fabulous! It's my understanding that it's cold upwellings that bring the clear water. We had 46 degrees there last May, and all the locals were freezing, but the viz was just frankly tropical.

Am I reading your post correctly, are you calling 46 degrees tropical? LOL, oh yeah you dive the Washington Coast and showed it to Kathy. :wink:

Looks like we have validation on Kathy's temp report, 46 degrees. I guess it's not uncommon to get those temps as I thought, in Carmel.

<snip>
Looks like we have validation on Kathy's temp report, 46 degrees. I guess it's not uncommon to get those temps as I thought, in Carmel.

ISTR someone, maybe Chuck T., has reported 44 or maybe 43 on the Carmel side. 48 is the lowest I've seen, but that's usually on the Monterey side.

Man, that's some blue wter, both on the surface and below. Not as blue as Tahoe, maybe, but there's an awful lot more to see.

Guy

Indeed it was beautiful vis.

For a few minutes down there I was having flash backs to 44F in Seattle and a little bit of an ice cream headache. Clear water, yes. But I can't find anything about the experience that resembles the tropics :).

Perhaps I should double layer my otter bay 12 mm :idk:? Does anyone layer their hood for extra warmth?

My core was toasty, but I saw at least three drysuit divers come out in shivers - perhaps you Seattle divers are just a tougher breed or wear thicker UG's!

Use a flutter kick and scull with your hands, you'll warm right up.

All this talk about being cold has led me to find my two cold water hero's, and yes they are two ladies that dive doubles in just a bikini, while the boys keep their drysuits fully zipped.

Wonder if any of our ladies here on the Mocal forum would take up such a challange???

I see 44F most springs. Never seen 43F, IIRC.

Mike: He said the VIZ was tropical, not the temperatures.

Mike: THREE sisters, not two. It's a tech dive.

Chuck,

With three sisters out there, looks like the chances are good that a single guy like me might be able to find one of them... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom