Any reports of vis in Lobos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was cold... I got a reading of 48 on the Uwatec bottom timer and my sensus pro... I had a small leak also and came out shivering. :(

Interesting, I have a Uwatec too and logged 46. Think mine records the coldest teps - perhaps there was a chilly pocket at some point. A leak, no thanks! Fingers and toes were numb enough even with the argon, and dry ugs :)

Mike,
were there still divers there? we hung around and chatted with the LA crew till about 330 pm.

There was a team just finishing rinsing off when I rolled down the hill at like 4:30-ish? They were packing doubles. They were the only divers I saw.

Interesting, I have a Uwatec too and logged 46. Think mine records the coldest teps - perhaps there was a chilly pocket at some point. A leak, no thanks! Fingers and toes were numb enough even with the argon, and dry ugs :)

Kathy, dive computer temp gauges aren't very accurate, so it's not uncommon for two computers of the same make and model to read several degrees apart. I couldn't find the accuracy standards for the Uwatecs, but my Suunto Favor is stated to be accurate to "+-2 deg. C (+-3.6 deg. F) within 20 minutes of temperature change."

I think I win this week's Brass Genitalia (aka "Are you normally this stupid, or are you just overachieving today?") bragging rights. It was 41 deg. in Tahoe last Sunday:D And I forgot to put on my vest, so it was just me, my drysuit and dry hood, single-layer fleece over a base top and my saintly* wet gloves, diving (and inflating with) air. Fortunately I was swimming the Tahoe Benchmark scooter course for time/KCs, so after the first few minutes the shivering and ice cream headache stopped. But I was getting intermittent leg cramps from the start, and after 45 minutes I couldn't have operated a bolt snap to save my life. At least I got to briefly meet FDog and several of the other Tahoe denizens before my dive.

Guy

*Because they're so hol(e)y

Cold usually means good vis, at least up North here. We canceled our club dive Saturday due to rough conditions and poor vis. Instead I wound up helping a friend buy a sweet new Audi. The internet rocks! Below invoice with no hassles, how can that be?

Ask Kathy about depth gauge variances?? When diving with Ryan and Keith our gauges read the exact same for depth, but Kathy and my gauges read almost 2 feet of difference depth wise.

Glad everyone had a good time and conditions were nice on the Carmel side.

Kathy, dive computer temp gauges aren't very accurate, so it's not uncommon for two computers of the same make and model to read several degrees apart. I couldn't find the accuracy standards for the Uwatecs, but my Suunto Favor is stated to be accurate to "+-2 deg. C (+-3.6 deg. F) within 20 minutes of temperature change."

Interesting, but I've found our temps sometimes read the same, sometimes different. Our first dive read 48F, whe we dropped down again and swam out later I logged 46F. I sometimes wonder if other gauges average temp, and this one takes the coldest.

Ask Kathy about depth gauge variances?? When diving with Ryan and Keith our gauges read the exact same for depth, but Kathy and my gauges read almost 2 feet of difference depth wise.

While doing skills this weekend, my partner and I noticed a 1' depth difference in gauges - he suggested there may be a setting for fresh vs salt water which would account for the difference. I'm not sure, but plan to investigate.

Interesting, but I've found our temps sometimes read the same, sometimes different. Our first dive read 48F, whe we dropped down again and swam out later I logged 46F. I sometimes wonder if other gauges average temp, and this one takes the coldest.

What some (including mine) do is record the temp at the maximum depth, rather than the minimum temp. As this is often early in the dive and the temp sensor hasn't had time to fully adjust, I find that the min. temp shown in the log is often higher than that seen later in the dive. For instance, while Tahoe was 41 deg. pretty much regardless of depth last sunday (probably the spring overturn), my computer log says that the minimum temp was 45, because I took a brief side trip at the start of the dive to look at a sunken sailboat that James had told me about. Max. depth there was 61' and the temp sensor hadn't finished adjusting to the actual temp yet (that "within 20 minutes" mentioned in the manual). As the dive continued shallower the sensor cooled down to the actual temp of 41, which it read for the rest of the dive.
Originally Posted by Peter_C

Originally posted by Kathydee
While doing skills this weekend, my partner and I noticed a 1' depth difference in gauges - he suggested there may be a setting for fresh vs salt water which would account for the difference. I'm not sure, but plan to investigate.

Or just normal tolerance. MY Favor claims a depth accuracy of +-1% of full scale down to 60m/200', @ 20 deg. C. So a slight difference in the sensors combined with rounding off could easily give you a 1' difference.

Guy

Last edited:
No. I was pretty busy video taping baby seals and you seemed pretty busy in conversation. Plus I'm a shy guy :blush:

The baby seals are adorable! Did you get any good footage?

Shy - awee, I promise we are friendly, so please stop by and introduce yourself if you see us again ;-). I'd love to say hi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom