Question Anyone received the New Seacraft Go! DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't it obvious? Dealers are talking pre-orders. Delays for a product like this are pretty normal.

No, not normal at all. As I have said above, they should have had production units out to market by now even if they only satisfy 10% of the market demand. Please read my post above.

having a huge demand shouldn't stop them from shipping whatever they were supposed to come out when they said initially they would come out. If they were planning to manufacture only 100 units but the demand was for 10,000 units and they were caught off guard, they should have had the 100 out the door to users on first ordered, first served, with the rest put on a waiting list and their units delivered as production allows it. Their not coming out with ANY units for this long about 8 months past their initial announced release date where NO end users receiving any production units at all is concerning and can only indicate issues/problems of some sort with their production.

You are right in the greater majority of what you said but having a huge demand shouldn't stop them from shipping whatever they were supposed to come out when they said initially they would come out. If they were planning to manufacture only 100 units but the demand was for 10,000 units and they were caught off guard, they should have had the 100 out the door to users on first ordered, first served, with the rest put on a waiting list and their units delivered as production allows it. Their not coming out with ANY units for this long about 8 months past their initial announced release date where NO end users receiving any production units at all is concerning and can only indicate issues/problems of some sort with their production.

Ummmm, yes. That is what I was saying. I DID say. A huge demand does not explain why NOBODY has received any. Presuming that that is the case - that nobody has received any.

No, not normal at all.
Apparently you have never worked for a company that designs and builds machinery. Having some quality/delivery date issue with just one of many suppliers causes delays and it's super common.
Since they have working demo models, we know it's a supply issue and not vapourware or production issue... so your 'concern' is unwarranted.

Apparently you have never worked for a company that designs and builds machinery. Having some quality/delivery date issue with just one of many suppliers causes delays and it's super common.
Since they have working demo models, we know it's a supply issue and not vapourware or production issue... so your 'concern' is unwarranted.

Having working demo models does not really "prove" that their is no production issue.

Demo models (in any industry) are often hand-constructed or at least hand-fitted. I.e. they exist because of manual labor that is not feasible in mass production. So, delays can often come from cases where manual labor is easily able to produce a small number of units, but when the manufacturer attempts to automate it for mass production, they run into problems. Usually, (I think) problems of quality. The automated process does not produce the same quality of "fit" that the manual labor process did on the demo models.

I think it is a not a logical conclusion to start with "they have working demo models" and conclude that the only problem creating delays are "supply issues". Unless you count "zero supply of successfully manufactured production scooters" as a supply issue... lol!

Please don't make any assumptions on my background. Just stick to the facts.

Now, you are proving my point exactly, if no production units were delivered to end users so far, this indicates problems/issues somewhere and this is what I am trying to find out, ARE THERE ANY END USER who have received their production units so far? ANYONE?

No, you are completely wrong.

This indicates problems of some sort but we don't know where. It is very concerning. It can be a supplier or somebody not delivering their parts and the DPV's put on hold or SeaCraft is left to find an alternative or some other scenario that isn't good.

Heck, I know a former weapons manufacturing company that started to make spearguns for some brand because their weapon making business was in a slump. When the weapon making business picked up, the weapons manufacturer drop the speargun manufacturing like a hot potato and the speargun brand went out of business because they couldn't find an alternative manufacturer due to many issues.

On a related note, I remember when the BlackTip first came out. They were already in production when it started happening that some of them were having hulls crushed at depths that they were "rated" for.

They changed their production, to at least include more reinforcement rings inside the tube. When they were building prototypes/demo units, the tubes were (presumably) very consistent in their tube wall density. It was only after they started mass producing the tubes that they found they were getting inconsistent tube wall density. That explains why some had hulls crush and also why they often are not weighted correctly from the factory. Different tube wall density means different units need different weighting.

It seems entirely possible that Seacraft could have had similar-ish issues that have arisen after they started mass production. Maybe they took some production line units out and found that their production process has resulted in some hulls leaking. Or batteries that don't have solid, reliable connection wiring. Or triggers that jam after exposure to a little sand. Or who knows.

Fortunately, if that is the case, they have identified the issues before they released a bunch of scooters.

It still means delays are "production issues", not "supply issues".

As they say in my business (the software industry), they'll never remember if you're late. And they will never forget if you deliver a turd.

Demo models (in any industry) are often hand-constructed or at least hand-fitted. I.e. they exist because of manual labor that is not feasible in mass production. So, delays can often come from cases where manual labor is easily able to produce a small number of units, but when the manufacturer attempts to automate it for mass production, they run into problems. Usually, (I think) problems of quality. The automated process does not produce the same quality of "fit" that the manual labor process did on the demo models.

I think it is a not a logical conclusion to start with "they have working demo models" and conclude that the only problem creating delays are "supply issues". Unless you count "zero supply of successfully manufactured production scooters" as a supply issue... lol!
This is not how this works. It's not a 'mass production' type product. They will all be hand made or rather the stuff from the suppliers (plus some parts that likely are milled in-house) and assembled by hand. Do you have any idea what it costs to automate a manufactoring process? In order to automate something like this you would have to get a specialized company to design and build a one-off machine that does what you need. Making DPVs is a little workshop type business, it's all manual labour. This is not the car industry.
What part of this would you automate anyways?
It's very obvious that it's a supply issue.

It was only after they started mass producing the tubes that they found they were getting inconsistent tube wall density.
What do you think 'mass production' means? Something like the tube of the BT is cut from relatively cheap barstock. Extremely unlikely that the implosions were due to inconsistent density as the bar stock is actually mass produced.
A product like the BT is hand made not mass produced and definately not by an automated process. In your mind, how many BTs are made per year?

Please don't make any assumptions on my background.
It's clear to me that you have no experience in mechanical engineering and/or manufacturing of new product.

How can I mute notifications for this thread? LOL

Just click "unwatch" above 😂

This is not how this works. It's not a 'mass production' type product. They will all be hand made or rather the stuff from the suppliers (plus some parts that likely are milled in-house) and assembled by hand. Do you have any idea what it costs to automate a manufactoring process? In order to automate something like this you would have to get a specialized company to design and build a one-off machine that does what you need. Making DPVs is a little workshop type business, it's all manual labour. This is not the car industry.
What part of this would you automate anyways?
It's very obvious that it's a supply issue.

What do you think 'mass production' means? Something like the tube of the BT is cut from relatively cheap barstock. Extremely unlikly that the implosions were due to inconsistent density as the barstock is actually mass produced.
A product like the BT is hand made not mass produced and definately not by an automated process. In your mind, how many BTs are made per year?

It's clear to me that you have no experience in mechanical engineering and/or manufacturing of new product.

Fair enough. I am certainly no subject matter expert on manufacturing.

So, let's assume that every part of the Go is outsourced and all Seacraft does is receive crates of parts and assemble them somewhere. I guess that is what you are saying?

Will you also assert that there is no difference in the way the original demo units were built than the way the production units are built? Same people building them? Using the same tools? Using the same process (e.g. build one complete unit at a time versus building a bunch of sub-assemblies at once, then building other sub-assemblies, then eventually doing a final assembly)?

If you are asserting that the production units are built completely in the same way, by the same people, using the same tools, as the original demo units were built, I have no basis to dispute you and in that case, I would have to accept your further assertion that the problem is supply and not production.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom