Question Anyone received the New Seacraft Go! DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, let's assume that every part of the Go is outsourced and all Seacraft does is receive crates of parts and assemble them somewhere. I guess that is what you are saying?

Will you also assert that there is no difference in the way the original demo units were built than the way the production units are built? Same people building them? Using the same tools? Using the same process (e.g. build one complete unit at a time versus building a bunch of sub-assemblies at once, then building other sub-assemblies, then eventually doing a final assembly)?
Well you worded it rather flippantly, but yeah, pretty much. Some of the parts are likely milled/lathed in-house but most part wont. Even the car industry - that is actual mass production - gets most of their components from suppiers these days.
How did you imagine this looks like? Did you think they have specially for seacraft or suex designed and build robotic assembly line that build the motor from scatch, does the wireing and put in O-Rings?
DPV and rebreather companies are tiny little companies. Doing sub assemblies or not and and hiring some extra people doesn't make something 'mass production' or automation... that more of a work flow thing.

In the picture it looks like you have a revo. You think those are build by a machine on an automated assembly line that cranks out 500 ccr per day? DPVs, like ccrs are a tiny, tiny part of an already tiny scuba instustry. If they were mass produced products, they'd be WAY, WAY cheaper. Consider this, you can get a brand new car from a company like Dacia for just over ten grand. That's hardly more than a new revo or 1.5 times the price of a DPV like the XK or larger seacraft models. Now look at how many parts are on a ccr or a DPV and how many parts are in an internal combustion engine... nevermind the rest of the car.
The stuff is so expensive because it's super low volume and not mass produced.

Well you worded it rather flippantly, but yeah, pretty much. Some of the parts are likely milled/lathed in-house but most part wont. Even the car industry - that is actual mass production - gets most of their components from suppiers these days.
How did you imagine this looks like? Did you think they have specially for seacraft or suex designed and build robotic assembly line that build the motor from scatch, does the wireing and put in O-Rings?
DPV and rebreather companies are tiny little companies. Doing sub assemblies or not and and hiring some extra people doesn't make something 'mass production' or automation... that more of a work flow thing.

In the picture it looks like you have a revo. You think those are build by a machine on an automated assembly line that cranks out 500 ccr per day? DPVs, like ccrs are a tiny, tiny part of an already tiny scuba instustry. If they were mass produced products, they'd be WAY, WAY cheaper. Consider this, you can get a brand new car from a company like Dacia for just over ten grand. That's hardly more than a new revo or 1.5 times the price of a DPV like the XK or larger seacraft models. Now look at how many parts are on a ccr or a DPV and how many parts are in an internal combustion engine... nevermind the rest of the car.
The stuff is so expensive because it's super low volume and not mass produced.

So, no answer to my questions?

Figured out how to mute this conversation thank god, but yes; This is most likely a component shortage. ALL of this thread is speculation, but out of all the speculation, a component shortage or supplier issue causing delays is the most reasonable conclusion by miles. Just ask anyone who works in small scale production. Atomic, Aqualung, and MANY other manufacturers (dive industry or otherwise) have been having single component shortages for years. Hell my girlfriend waited like 2 years for her Ford Maverick. "Amazon culture" has conditioned people into having things next day, but unfortunately that isn't the reality for niche products.

Figured out how to mute this conversation thank god, but yes; This is most likely a component shortage. ALL of this thread is speculation, but out of all the speculation, a component shortage or supplier issue causing delays is the most reasonable conclusion by miles. Just ask anyone who works in small scale production. Atomic, Aqualung, and MANY other manufacturers (dive industry or otherwise) have been having single component shortages for years. Hell my girlfriend waited like 2 years for her Ford Maverick. "Amazon culture" has conditioned people into having things next day, but unfortunately that isn't the reality for niche products.

Which brings us full circle to the question asked by @BoltSnap. Does anybody know the real story? I.e. more than just "huge demand". Trouble found with production units after they were made? Can't get motors? Trouble sourcing the tubes? Can't get their proprietary battery packs made?

It seemed like such a simple question... and SO many replies that provided not even an attempt at an actual fact-based answer...

So, no answer to my questions?
I'm happy to answer any actual question you have. What question didn't I answer? If they don't use the same tools for 'mass productions'. No, I think they chuck out their 80k usd cnc milling machine just for fun and buy a brand new one that magically operates itself.
In case you didn't know. This is not the first DPV they made.

Can't get motors? Trouble sourcing the tubes? Can't get their proprietary battery packs made?
It doesn't matter what part is missing or was delivered with wrong specs.
As I said, tubes are cut from mass produced bar stock. Very unlikely that they can't get that.

... a component shortage or supplier issue causing delays is the most reasonable conclusion by miles. Just ask anyone who works in small scale production.
Exactly. We had lead times for up to 18 month for stuff. And delays, delays, delays for all kinds of parts after the promised delivery date... even before rona but it's gotten worse, and the war in Urkaine didn't help either. You can really ask anyone who knows how this works.
It's definately not because their automatic O-Ring insertion robot broke down or some made up 'tube density' issue.
They have proven that they can make very high quality stuff, so it's not that they are incompetent when it comes to design and production. We know that.

It seemed like such a simple question... and SO many replies that provided not even an attempt at an actual fact-based answer...
I tried to explain and so did Matt. The rest was not even an attempt at an fact-based answer. That's the one thing you got right.

"unexpected delay and estimated delivery will be during Q3"̀.

Thank you for the information. We are in the middle of Q3 now, at least Q3 of the current year if they meant this year :)

Something is off.

I started asking suppliers last November if I could replace my old Aquazeep with a Seacraft Go, and couldn’t get a straight answer as when it would be delivered in Europe. Thankfully I gave up and ordered a blacktip, diving with it 2 weeks later.

??? What is that?

Can you get the highest rated batteries for it in Europe?
DPVAquaZepp-LT30
18 v 12ah XR flex volt Li-ion for any DeWalt tools. I’m very happy with the run times

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpeg
    IMG_0160.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 40
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom