AOW course feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clgsamson:
Nah...telling you "rescue" and that's it for me bro, but it's only a plan that i may or may not take.

give the dir-f a shot you will not be the same after.

technically you take AOW if you intend to progress through the PADI con-ed program.

However having the OW certification allows you to dive with reasonable safety training, and with that it is up to the individual to learn more on improving his skills and understanding of SCUBA issues. There are OW divers there far better in the water than Rescue and DMs . in several places they sell certifications like hotcakes. imagine the safety issue...

THe way PADI program is set up is modular. and just like in the PROS forum here in scuba board there is a consensus that it really depends on the program of the instructor. AS they say in the forums, it's the instructor not the AGENCY (scuba) that teaches well or not..

If the individual is of the type that imbibes the prescriptive method (studying on your own) then that individual may improve his skills in a short span of time. You could even set up your own scuba certifying agency if you like. :)

That's what i said before :

i'll take the AOW then am ok
then,

i'll take the rescue for better skills , just in case..... (at that time we do at least 18 dives a month)

then , been on back plate with wings ever since with long hose occasionally.

took DM for better dive planning and assessment ......

then Nitrox and Advanced nitrox .... took this course to have better safer dives, ended up utilising the knowledge and pushing the limits, went even deeper and longer with deco procedures..... not as planned but exciting.... went to about having three tanks with me on two occassions. hehehheheh, calorie burn!!!

then OWSI .... then my fun diving became seldom...... ended up at the PADI reco, no deeper than 40 and 60 feet ..... (due to being with SCUBA student trainees)

Ya, thanks for the info guys! I agree, it really depends on an individual basis. Some of the people I took the OW with I wouldn't trust with my life or even my cat's life in or out of the water (no offense). I would definitely think they do a couple of dives before moving on. I guess another important thing is that the person has to understand the skills being taught--which will most likely be gained through experience. To tell you the truth, I think the biggest issue for me right now in deciding to take the AOW or not is money! :p I'll have to wait some time before I can spend on another course (I'd rather just dive around and gain experience muna).

But I don't understand why they have the AOW if the restrictions on OW are not enforced consistently (no deeper than 60 ft, no wrecks, etc). Or is it really a DM's call to judge the capabilities of the diver to dictate what they do or not?

Spoon:
experience is the best teacher i have friends that dive like dive masters without aow certification. Aow is useless without the experience. i honestly feel ripped off after taking mine. if you feel good about having a plastic certification card then go for it. had i known earlier i wouldnt have taken it.

btw, spoon did you feel ripped off cause you took it too soon and was overwhelmed or took it too late and didn't get much out of it? I want the plastic for my manhood . Joke lang. I am under the impression I'll need to have it if the dive shop enforces the no 60ft for OW (correct me if I am wrong).

chip104:
btw, spoon did you feel ripped off cause you took it too soon and was overwhelmed or took it too late and didn't get much out of it? I want the plastic for my manhood :). Joke lang. I am under the impression I'll need to have it if the dive shop enforces the no 60ft for OW (correct me if I am wrong).

i felt ripped of becasue they tried to sell me the course after 5 dives. i refused of course and decided to take it all throughout dive 20-35 i took one adventure course everyweek. the logic of this is not to get burdened with overtasking and to take your time. after i got certified i found it so useless because i would have learned it eventually through consistent diving and experience. reason why i wanted to take it like you was to break the 60ft barrier.

honestly bro we live in the philippines. no one follows the ow restriction of 60 and aow limit of 130. seriously i had a friend who after 5 dives was taken to 140. seems pretty cool and he took it fine but what if he couldnt handle it? the reason why there is this limit is for our safety but everyday the rules are broken and lives are lost.

seems like you know what to do:) get the aow but dont be pressured into taking it in one weekend spread it out over a month or two and youl get the most out of it. imagine this who will be more capable; a diver who takes aow after 5 dives OR a diver who is OW but has logged 30 dives? chances are the guy with 30 will have better buoyancy than the guy with 5 dives even if hes not Aow. whatever you do make sure you really read and listen to the materials, most people ignore this and mainly are after the plastic.

Back
Top Bottom