AOW course feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chip104:
But I don't understand why they have the AOW if the restrictions on OW are not enforced consistently (no deeper than 60 ft, no wrecks, etc). Or is it really a DM's call to judge the capabilities of the diver to dictate what they do or not?

the restrictions should be enforced but we live in a real world. wherein most dms especially the newer ones may take more capable divers deeper. it all depends on the dm and the abilities of diff divers. the dms would be in serious trouble though should something happen to a diver who went beyond 60ft w out qualifications to do so,

Spoon:
i felt ripped of becasue they tried to sell me the course after 5 dives. i refused of course and decided to take it all throughout dive 20-35 i took one adventure course everyweek. the logic of this is not to get burdened with overtasking and to take your time. after i got certified i found it so useless because i would have learned it eventually through consistent diving and experience. reason why i wanted to take it like you was to break the 60ft barrier.

honestly bro we live in the philippines. no one follows the ow restriction of 60 and aow limit of 130. seriously i had a friend who after 5 dives was taken to 140. seems pretty cool and he took it fine but what if he couldnt handle it? the reason why there is this limit is for our safety but everyday the rules are broken and lives are lost.

seems like you know what to do:) get the aow but dont be pressured into taking it in one weekend spread it out over a month or two and youl get the most out of it. imagine this who will be more capable; a diver who takes aow after 5 dives OR a diver who is OW but has logged 30 dives? chances are the guy with 30 will have better buoyancy than the guy with 5 dives even if hes not Aow. whatever you do make sure you really read and listen to the materials, most people ignore this and mainly are after the plastic.

i'll definitely heed your advice bro...don't want to rush things, it took me a year to finally decide to get the OW cert (what's another year of waiting hehehe). if i really feel comfy after say 30-50 dives then probably that's when i'll seriously pursue AOW :D

jonix:
i'll definitely heed your advice bro...don't want to rush things, it took me a year to finally decide to get the OW cert (what's another year of waiting hehehe). if i really feel comfy after say 30-50 dives then probably that's when i'll seriously pursue AOW :D

depending on your comfort level in the water you can even take it dive 20 onwards. the only reason why i posted previously was to make known that some dive agencies, instructors will sell you courses even if you are not qualified or experienced.

in the end you ultimately know yourself better than anyone else. and if you think you are ready to jump into AOW then by all means do. good luck.

chip104:
But I don't understand why they have the AOW if the restrictions on OW are not enforced consistently (no deeper than 60 ft, no wrecks, etc). Or is it really a DM's call to judge the capabilities of the diver to dictate what they do or not?

under PADI, they are "recommended" not a rule for general safety measures. however a properly trained DM would match the capabilities of the weakest diver in the group to the planned dive. the chain is as strong as the weakest link so to say.

that is why it is best that you go by your comfort group level. hence they have OW, AOW, Rescue, DM etc.

having an OW certification yet having the skills of a Rescue diver does no harm.

however having a c-card of a DM yet skills of a OW is a teribble thing to happen.

taken logically the levels of PADI are set for the purpose of categorizing capabilities of divers so that dive planning by the group can be done. if this is taken in its theoretical purpose then it is well .

In the real world, an OW is all you need to do all the recreational diving you like. if an OW cert diver takes the level of diving to beyod that PADI limits, then PADI liability ends.

PADI is all about certification and training = cost. If you have a problem with the standards of PADI you can always take the course of other Agencies like SSI, NAUI, GUE, BSAC, PDSI, CMAS, YMCA, etc. you can even set up your own agency.

Just like joining any club/company, you abide by their rules . if you don't like the rules then you better look for a club/company where you are happy with their rules. Otherwise it would be wise to avoid complaining while still utilizing the c-card you use to show your credentials.

Again padi provides minimum criteria. if the person takes his training to the next level without certification then it's fine, It's similar to what PADI teaches, Prescriptive - student studies on their own to improve their knowledge of the sport and the management of risks involved.

We have guided people without presenting c-cards to us under the condition that we do an evaluation of the persons skills. if after evaluation we see that the person indeed has good scuba skills then he goes diving with us.

if a person has a C-card and under evaluation shows he is not capable of that level then we set him of to his level for the saftey and enjoyment of all.

Spoon:
in the end you ultimately know yourself better than anyone else. and if you think you are ready to jump into AOW then by all means do. good luck.

Spoon,

Aim for your DM soonest under whatever Agency you please. The training you get would be very advantageous for you and your buddies especially with your passion for scuba.

try to get a packaged program structure with an instructor of agency you now know.

I am PADI by default, as i took the course and it so happened the instructor was PADI.

though upon by Instructor Development Course (IDC) i chose PADI after evaluating several Agencies like SSI, TDI, ANDI. This time it was a thougth after choice.

It (PADI) is not perfect but it meets most of the criteria at that time of my "time to decide".

Paolo,

thanks for the info. No complaints here, just clarifications.

So from all the feedback, I think I get the gist: go up to the level of cert that suits you, no need to rush the certs, experience is practical to understanding the skills, pick the instructor not the organization.

Cge, I'll keep these in mind. I think I'd better begin saving up some money now. :)

paolov:
In the real world, an OW is all you need to do all the recreational diving you like. if an OW cert diver takes the level of diving to beyod that PADI limits, then PADI liability ends.

on instructors...the guy who taught me is a PADI guy but he voices out a lot of "things he doesn't agree with" on PADI instruction. he did make it clear before we started that he will be infusing some NAUI "things" to the OW program to make it more practical in terms of real world diving. during our pool sessions he likewise "warned" me na "bubulabuging kita ng husto"...the idea being when i finally do open water everything will be easy going. and i could say the guy really tested and drilled me a LOT! :D

same as what paolov said, he likweise cautioned me "it's not just about the agency, it's about the instructor's skills"

as an example, while i was doing my OW i was supposed to have my check out with a belgian student of his (AOW, taking Rescue ata)...the guy didn't know how to use dive tables! the guy actually had to study all over again! he trained in Cozumel (PADI certs).

paolov:
Spoon,

Aim for your DM soonest under whatever Agency you please. The training you get would be very advantageous for you and your buddies especially with your passion for scuba.

try to get a packaged program structure with an instructor of agency you now know.

I am PADI by default, as i took the course and it so happened the instructor was PADI.

though upon by Instructor Development Course (IDC) i chose PADI after evaluating several Agencies like SSI, TDI, ANDI. This time it was a thougth after choice.

It (PADI) is not perfect but it meets most of the criteria at that time of my "time to decide".

honestly paolo taking the dm route is the opposite of the route i am planning to take. I am signing up for Tech1, cave1, wreck1 classes with GUE and maybe some trimix with IANTD. as you see i am inclined towards tech. i was considering taking the dm im still 50% sure.

Hope you don't forget all about us simply certified OW/AOW divers. Some tech divers I know has yet to touch the ground again, its gotten thru their heads.

They strictly observe Rule no. 1 - don't dive with unsafe divers, they leave their GFs/wives to the DMs while they all dive together. Great....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom