Apollo AV-2 14ah batteries? where to get.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The battery measures 129 with my measuring device. The compartment is 130+. I have put them in many AV2's and Tusa SAV7's. They fit.

I have been using a special order battery assembled by Tenergy.com made up of 40 NiMH D cells with spot welded connectors configured into 24 volts and 20 amps.

Square NiMH 24V 20000mAh 4x5x2 w/ Bare Leads

It weighs 14 pounds, I use 4.5 pounds of lead melted into a weight that fits under it to be neutral, and a shaped foam spacer in the nose. NiMh are fussier in some ways than a SLA battery and self discharge by comparison. It will run 90 minutes on high nonstop.

I also put an AV2 heat exchanger and transmission from a damaged scooter into a 12 volt AV1 and reconfigured the NiMH battery to 12 volts 40 Amps. It runs over 80 minutes on medium nonstop without overheating ( a big AV1 problem). It is a bit faster on medium than the AV2 on high. It is even faster on high but I don't have anything to keep up with it on an hour dive so I haven't tested it thoroughly.

I saw your post here but started another thread. I'm interested in modifying my Dacor Sea Sprint which is actually an AV-1. Overheating problem is killing me ! I looked on the schematic for the AV-2 and could not find the "heat exchanger". Would your Nimh 12v 40ah battery work on a non-modifed AV-1/Seasprint ? If you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Any other tips you may care to share ? Didn't want to hijack the other thread and PM didn't work. Thanks for any advice you care to give !

I didn't end up getting the 545's to try, but I noticed when I was looking that I found two sets of sizes listed on sites, so the dimensions may have changed from the manufactuerer.

I've seen pairs of batteries taped together to make a 14ah battery for the Apollo AV-2 but can't seem to find a pair of 12v 14ah batteries with the right dimensions to make one. Does anyone have one that they share the brand and model number off of the battery with us please? I know I can buy one already made, but I hate to pay $400 for a battery I know I can make myself for less than half that. Thanks and if anyone else is curious about the puzzle battery compartment is about 6.9 inches, by 5 inches by 6.5 inches.

Thanks.​
@ Mitch...did you ever find some batteries that would work.....14ah or 12ah...I dont mind taping them together, just would like to know what is working for others...thanks again

Two of these work perfectly in an AV2, I have had many sets. (But switched to NiMh).

Odyssey PC545

As per my previous post they are a little heavier than stock, but last over 200 runs. Runtime 55 minutes on medium non stop. I have not had good service from other brands. Note the 12 AMP rating is for one hour, not 20 hours like most batteries. The OEM batteries my first two scooters came with failed after 8 and 12 dives. Most batteries can't stand a full discharge in one hour.

Thanks James.....Those batteries sound awesome but the cost is more than I want to put into them....I use my scooter to move sand and not as a propulsion device,therefor the cheaper batteries will work just fine (most of time).... wish I could find a cheaper battery with he same dimensions as the Odyssey but they seem a little hard to find...
Thanks again

You can buy any two smaller batteries that will fit in the space (10 Amp batteries will do it) at a local batteries plus, tape them together, surround them with hard foam or even cardboard to get the right size. Weigh them and add lead to get a total of 19 pounds to be neutral. If you run them easy they will last a few times. The scooter draws 11 Amps. It will kill a 20 hour rated "10Amp" battery pretty quickly
Jim

Back
Top Bottom