Apple Watch Ultra 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stop lying with your fake quotes.
Right, your memes are fresh and not dusty at all...

There's zero evidence that sensor hardware limitation is in any way related to the 40m recreational depth spec.
The inverse is also true. So far, I've seen no evidence of what the actual depth sensor used in the AWU actually is rated to. There are sensors in existence that could indicate a hardware limitation. Regardless of whether this was a hardware limitation or a programming decision, it is a questionable choice for a dive computer.

I know, I'm not the target consumer for this. I own and use several Apple products. Overall, I like Apple products. However, I have zero desire to use the AWU as a dive computer. I'm set with two very capable dive computers. Certainly more capable (from a dive computer perspective) than the AWU.

Now let's consider who the target consumer actually is. IMO, it's a recreational, occasional diver who is also an AW user. Mostly vacation divers. The subscription model supports this, especially the varying terms. I know that the terms are from Oceanic, but it seems that this is with Apple support, as they haven't yet allowed other developers access to create an alternative DC app.

These target users may be using the AWU to satisfy charter DC requirements. I will say that from a usability perspective, it is probably better than some options that are difficult to use. But to say that these divers will be paying close attention to their DC is likely a stretch. Those on here who regularly dive charters have reported numerous instances of divers finding their DC locked out on the surface and they have no idea why. Certainly the DC was giving them warnings before that happened.

An in-water lockout is a complete disqualifier for a dive computer in my book, and is a strange choice by Apple. Yes, I know that it's the Oceanic+ app that actually locks out, but I see they had no choice in this matter as the AWU stops sending pressure data to Oceanic+ at that depth. It's a strange choice from a legal perspective as this is not typical dive computer behavior. Most dive computer manufacturers do not lock out underwater.

“LOL”? – what you really said (and I even quoted you) was:

Instead, they have an actual free program to run a test on the watch’s waterproof status. As long as the watch is under warranty and there’s no disqualifying owner damage, they will replace the watch. It’s all in my link. It’s not just “documentation to cover their denial of coverage.”

Reading is fundamental™

So, do you recommend to have this free test conducted before each day of diving, to ensure the best chance that the AWU will not flood during the day's dive?

My comment about denying coverage was regarding a watch flooding during an actual dive, not during testing. Not only is reading fundamental, so is comprehension.

Also...

I'm putting my money on:

"3-trillion dollar international tech icon doesn't want to get blamed for the guy who just picked up his PADI "Deep Diver" cert.

I'm still waiting for an answer on this:

What exactly is it that you think they would get blamed for, if their dive computer worked all the time?

"My comment about denying coverage was regarding a watch flooding during an actual dive, not during testing."
[…]
"[Apple] just has documentation to cover their denial of coverage for when it floods."

Your claim is groundless. Otherwise, cite your source.

"I'm still waiting for an answer on this"

I'm not talking about legal liability here (and Apple's legal dept. signed off on all of this, which says a lot). As I've said before, I see "blame" more about PR. Legal exposure aside, someone claiming injury due to an Apple product is a much bigger deal than for small companies. Imagine the online mob you'd be leading.

"…The [zero evidence for sensor depth limitation] inverse is also true."

Actually, not true. Indirect, but evidence nevertheless:

Cressi Leonardo – $199 – 120m

The odds that a Cressi — $199 ! — introduced in 2012, goes to 120m, but Apple's flagship 2023 product only to 40m — due to sensor cost? With Tim Cook's legendary supply-chain clout? Negligible. Almost all DCs have 100m or more DC function, regardless of price. This was a software choice by Apple.

"I know, I'm not the target consumer for this."

Uncommonly insightful, for this thread. I mean that literally.

"But to say that these divers will be paying close attention to their DC is likely a stretch."

I explicitly contradicted this assumption at the beginning:
"Of course that doesn’t mean that the diver will notice – but – anything that any DC *ever* does – could then also be described as “unexpected,” regardless of any/all programmed warnings, documentation, training, etc. etc."

Actually, no. Not direct, but evidence nevertheless:

Cressi Leonardo – $199 – 120m

The odds that Cressi ($199!) goes to 120m, but Apple's flagship product only to 40m – due to sensor cost? With Tim Cook's legendary supply-chain clout? Negligible. Almost all DCs have 100m or more DC function, regardless of price. This was a software choice by Apple.
Could be. I actually do think that it's most likely a software choice, but haven't seen firm, direct evidence either way.

A software choice is even more questionable on their part. Really makes no sense. If someone had messed up and spec'd the wrong pressure sensor, I could see them coding that in, but I would expect that they would fix it in the AWU2, which doesn't appear to have happened. An arbitrary depth limit well inside of the actual depth ratings of the device does not make sense. Doesn't make sense from a performance perspective, nor a liability perspective. Being the odd manufacturer out with this limit, may actually increase potential liability, as no other DC manufacturer that I'm aware of does this.

False.

Interesting. They haven't added any tools/fixtures/parts to their self-service repair store for any of their watch products. Maybe they will in the future.

It looks like the waterproofing is achieved with a silicone gasket on the back and adhesive tape on the front under the screen. If they make parts available, that will be a big selling point - at least in my opinion!

Don't go opening yours just yet. You'll ruin the waterproofing without a replacement gasket unless you have the tools and equipment to craft your replacement seals.

Apple is finally moving towards a less throwaway future! I know some laws have been passed requiring it, but I honestly didn't expect the big companies to comply without a court battle first. Good for them!

My guess at the 120' limit is that some recreational training agencies call that the limit for recreational diving. I think PADI and SSI use 120, and NAUI uses 130. I don't know what others use. They probably just thought that was a nice, safe number to use.

An arbitrary depth limit well inside of the actual depth ratings of the device does not make sense. Doesn't make sense from a performance perspective, nor a liability perspective.

Their 130' rec diving limit is not "arbitrary," and I'd say Apple's legal department is likely a better judge of legal exposure than either of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom