Are dive computers overkill for most recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done as many as 50 dives on one dive trip. If you string together enough no-decompression dives, guess what you get--a ceiling. That's what I need a computer for--repetitive dives in Papua New Guinea.

hey--that's what I said---lol.....I put 30 together in 6 days in the old days on Roatan, before computers------flew back to Houston the next day---Let's see---what's the recommended flying time post diving???????

Pretty much all resort recreational dives are worked out for no decompression. Why do divers wear computers for such dives? I'm not for or against it. Just never used one, so what is the benefit for no deco diving?

???

Your question sounds as if you believe dive computers are only for decompression diving. I hope I misunderstand your question, because nothing could be farther from the truth. This question goes back to the age-old tables vs. computers debate, which has been beaten to death on this board and I'm not even going into that.

But even in strict recreational diving, what do you do if you accidentally slip into a deco obligation? I know that shouldn't happen, but a lot of things shouldn't happen and yet they do. Wouldn't you want not only a dive computer in that situation, but better a dive computer that indicates the deco obligation?

I never dive without one. As others have mentioned, it gives you more bottom time AND it tracks your dives for you. When I am doing 3-4-5 dives per day, I can't remember how deep I went on what dive or how long....my computer does that for me. If you are not using a computer, it is tough to dive as much as when using one.

Diving flat tables sucks and I never ever just rely on a DM to keep me safe!
(that reminds me of a situation in coz a few months ago. One lady diving in our group had no computer and just followed the DM doing everything he did, right by his side. Well, I was diving nitrox, and I still almost went into deco and I was maybe 10' above them most of the dive. No way she was safe - but she said that she trusted the DM so she didn't need a computer!) what a duffus.:lotsalove:

I also rely on it for my dive log each night, yes I do log every dive still. I love my dive log and use it often to refresh my memory, to track what creatures I saw where and and when, who was on the dive with me, etc. I use it quite often here on SB, answering people's questions. And I use it when writing my trip reports. (see my website)

Also, if you ever get into trouble, or actually die, the first thing they do is check your dive computer. It is a record of what happened to you underwater, good or bad.

robin:D

I think that the OP has the misconception on a dive computer's purpose.

No, it's not necessary to have a dive computer, either for rec diving or tech diving. That's why God invented the dive tables and formulas for.

But a dive computer offers conveniences of not having to sit down and calculate out RBT and all that good stuff after every dive. And the dive computer maximizes bottom times by calculating out nitrogen absorption at each depth that a diver lingered.

If anything a dive computer is more essential to a rec diver than a tech diver. Tech divers know exactly where they are going and for how long. They plan their dives down to a gnat's ass and stick to the plans. That's why lots of tech divers don't use dive computers.

Rec divers pop down, look about, go here, go there, see this over here at this depth, see that over there at that depth, etc. That's where the constant calculations that come from a dive computer would merit out.

If all you do is go down to one depth and stay there for a certain period of time and go up again (square dive profile), then the computer does nothing but add bulk and cost money with zero return.

I think that the point comes to a dive resort with a dive master that carries all the divers together as a flock. The DM takes care of heading, depth, air consumption and NDL of every member of the group.
In that condition, no instrument but a manometer is required.
In every other condition, a Dive Computer is not needed, but is pretty much helpful, for a lot of reasons mentioned here and in several other posts.

Haven't got a clue, Never dove without one except for a couple dives I made years ago on the west coast of Honduras and a few dives in the Red Sea following some rummy buddies of mine at the time. I didn't have any idea what the hell I was doing anyway so a computer wouldn't have made any difference one way or the other.

Dove for over 40 years without one, but now I dive with redundant computers. Primarily because I'm doing more repetitive and deep diving than I used to in my younger days. Are they necessary? Probably not for most resort type diving. I still recommend one as part of your standard kit with some redundancy (as in SPG and timing device or backup computer). They really are pretty cheap these days.

"Are dive computers overkill for most recreational divers?" - I guess it depends on who you ask. If you ask hard core technical divers they would probably say yes, but I suspect they would also say that it's insufficient for technical diving as well and that you can't trust just your computer. That would suggest that there is no justifiable use of dive computers because for rec diving it's overkill while for tec diving it's insufficient.

As for me personally, and I'm the most recreational of recreational divers, I find it incredibly useful. Like most of the responses above it certainly makes diving for me more enjoyable, it satisfies the tech geek and glutton for data in me who likes to download and analyze the profiles and, if nothing else, I love being able to check my depth on my wrist as opposed to on my console.

For me it's certainly not overkill.

If you are diving to 35 feet for 35 minutes, which is a lot of resort diving, sure, dive computers aren't really necessary. Of course, that is assuming nothing goes wrong, you are not planning many repetitive dives, and don't want to retain specific information about your dive.

I use my computers --redundant VR3s --on most dives even when I don't need them for the simple reason that they are part of my set-up and I try to keep my configuration as stable as I can. I need those "six-guns" strapped on for some dives so even on dives I don't really need them, they are there.

And, of course, I can take a couple of pounds off my belt with them strapped on, and them help my trim.

Jeff

If you are diving to 35 feet for 35 minutes, which is a lot of resort diving, sure, dive computers aren't really necessary.
I guess the same could be said for a BC, wetsuit and even fins. You don't really need any of it but they sure make your diving a more enjoyable experience - as does the computer, whether it's saving your life or not.

I use my computers --redundant VR3s --on most dives...

...And, of course, I can take a couple of pounds off my belt with them strapped on, and them help my trim.
:rofl3: That's brilliant! Never thought of that advantage so maybe I should get myself a couple of VR3s:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom