Are full foot fins only for Snorkeling????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do believe that closed-heel snorkel only; open heel scuba is one of those enduring proverbs and myths of diving. Decades ago when I learned to dive, that was the wisdom for colder-water diving. We were told that with the extra gear and weight that was involved in colder waters, that closed heel fins would not generate the power needed to move the diver efficiently thus causing greater effort and air consumption and that hard-soled booties would not work in closed-heel fins. Not sure that is the case in warmer waters, or even cold water anymore with the new materials and designs. Blade length, stiffness, and power developed by a fin design are the factors, not so much open versus closed foot pocket.

I am drooling over all these vintage rubber fins! As a petite female diver I have to get creative sometimes about my gear and I just got back from spring diving where I used similar snorkeling fins as my "tec fins". I think a lot of the mystique about scuba pro jet fins simply has to do with the fact that they are short stiff rubber fins which enables one to maneuver precisely.

If you are considering ScubaPro Jet Fins then, in case you are not aware, they came out with a "Lightning" version (probably in the 70s) that is made of more flexible rubber. The "Lightning" fins have a lightning bolt going through the insignia on top of the fins whereas the ones with the stiffer rubber do not. If you are petite then you probably would want size Medium as opposed to Large or Extra Large. I have both types and, as much as I like the original, stiffer fins, I much prefer the Lightning fins (Large for me). They can be found used sometimes on eBay for somewhere around $30-$40 but generally need new straps. My girlfriend found some Medium Lightning fins at 2nd Wave on Hawai'i for $20. They were like new except, of course, they needed new straps.

No truth at all. Full foot fins are for when you don't need a boot. If you are in water where you don't mind bare feet, they're just dandy.

If you are considering ScubaPro Jet Fins then, in case you are not aware, they came out with a "Lightning" version (probably in the 70s) that is made of more flexible rubber. The "Lightning" fins have a lightning bolt going through the insignia on top of the fins whereas the ones with the stiffer rubber do not. If you are petite then you probably would want size Medium as opposed to Large or Extra Large. I have both types and, as much as I like the original, stiffer fins, I much prefer the Lightning fins (Large for me). They can be found used sometimes on eBay for somewhere around $30-$40 but generally need new straps. My girlfriend found some Medium Lightning fins at 2nd Wave on Hawai'i for $20. They were like new except, of course, they needed new straps.
Wow they sound great! Are they still negative? I like that for balancing my trim...

Wow they sound great! Are they still negative? I like that for balancing my trim...

I've read many comments concerning this and I've never noticed my fins to be positive, negative, or neutral. I just never notice them. To me that indicates that they are just right. I'm wondering if the newer ones that are not made in USA are negative. When they were first introduced in the 60s they were marketed as having the same density as salt water.

Most shore diving in Hawaii is fine with full foot fins (beach); a few rocky entries are questionable but I have even done most sharp shore entries here without booties. Teva's can be worn into the ocean and then velcro'd to the BC for the dive.

OMG. A practical make do with what you got approach. I wonder how many diving minimalist purist oriented people had a heart attack since you posted about diving with to the BCD velcroed Tevas.:wink:

With full foot fins, a perfect fit can be difficult to find.

You can use socks of different thickness to help. Lycra, 2mm, 3mm, 5mm socks. Fin keepers are also an option.

The higher end full footpocket fins can come in 2 parts. There is the blade and the footpocket.

It is just like trying on shoes. If you go to store for hiking boots you may wear padded thicker hiking socks when trying on boots. Whereas dress shoes may be a thinner sock.

Same for footpockets. Many in California use Argos Stealth booties. 4mm for NorCal, and 2mm or 4mm for SoCal.

You put on the sock you are going to use and try on footpockets. Footpockets come in different stiffnesses, widths, etc. To get a wide width must go with Mares or Picasso brands for example.

Footpockets may already have the blade attached or purchase separately.

1 piece full foot design for use with a lightweight booting tend to be sized larger. Such as the Apollo Biofin Uni. I was looking at the FF Seawing Nova. I would just try them on with my 4mm booties and see if they fit me just like normal shoes.

Last edited:
And some may not realize that the OP is from 2010.... :poke::happywave::eyebrow::crafty:

I've read many comments concerning this and I've never noticed my fins to be positive, negative, or neutral. I just never notice them. To me that indicates that they are just right. I'm wondering if the newer ones that are not made in USA are negative. When they were first introduced in the 60s they were marketed as having the same density as salt water.
Well that sounds great... I'd love to try the lightnings. I'm not even sure about the negative buoyancy thing because that also might mean hard to swim for a smaller person. I just read it was better. My beloved pool fins float. I'm new to spring diving; in the ocean I love to swim vigorously so jet fins just looked like bricks to me, but maybe not...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom