Are full foot fins only for Snorkeling????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well that sounds great... I'd love to try the lightnings. I'm not even sure about the negative buoyancy thing because that also might mean hard to swim for a smaller person. I just read it was better. My beloved pool fins float. I'm new to spring diving; in the ocean I love to swim vigorously so jet fins just looked like bricks to me, but maybe not...

My ex-wife was "petite" and she dove with some generic fins made by SeaSport in Mexico. They were basically an imitation of the ScubaPro Jet Fins but had two slots instead of three. I think they were excellent fins but I don't think the quality of the rubber was quite equal to the ScubaPros. They were bought around 1985 and now one of the foot pockets has a small tear but my daughter is using them (she is also petite). I would compare them to Size M Lightning Jet Fins. Here's what to look for. The lightning bolt goes through the insignia on the more flexible fins. The stiffer fins have the same insignia without the lightning bolt. You probably can't search for "lightning jet fins" on eBay etc. because most sellers don't seem to indicate that in the listing. In any case you will need either thick (5mm-7mm) booties or 3mm booties and possibly some toe pads of some kind because the foot pockets are roomy and you don't want them moving around while you are diving because they could make your toes sore. Keep the straps snug.

Lightning Jet Fins.jpg

I have been diving for over 50 years (scuba for 48) and have used a lot of different fins and if anything ever happened to my Lightning Jet Fins I would find another pair. I simply have no interest in other fins. But, of course, fin preference can be a very personal thing.

This could get very fetishistic LOL... that lightning bolt, I love it!

I think of jet fins as best for frog kick or slow precise swimming but maybe not for fast flutter or long hard swims but I don't really know, that's why I wondered what you thought!

I think of jet fins as best for frog kick or slow precise swimming but maybe not for fast flutter or long hard swims but I don't really know, that's why I wondered what you thought!

That is what I've experienced.

Most of my diving is warm water in open areas from a boat and I mainly flutter kick. Have owned many different fins over the years including Jets. Finally decided to sell all of my fins and only keep 3. Apollo open heel split fin for shore dives, closed heel long freedive fin for most of my boat diving, closed heel standard length fin for short trips or a lot of wreck penetration diving.

I switched to Mares Avanti full foot for all my diving a few years ago. I shore dive a lot, and yes, this is the weakness/con. 250 yd walks are sometimes called for, and the sand is 1100 Kelvin in the summer time. The fix; I use cheapo Walmart water shoes for land, then bungie them to my flag buoy once in the water. Typical swim is longish, some where at a mile. Winter diving I wear 3mm socks. I use doubles as well, I have no complaints with them.

With the Jet Fins I find that I can maneuver in tight situations (like backing out from under a ledge) plus I think they are great for getting through rough surf and returning freaked-out people to the shore. I find that I can sustain long, hard swims for longer periods than with other fins I have tried. I also use them for free-diving and perhaps they are not the best choice but for me they are fine. And, as I probably already mentioned, they fit in my carry-on so I don't have to do a checked bag. :) I have also noticed that they tend to propel the water backwards and not so much downwards--I have seen divers using full-foot fins (can't say which brand) that left a little cloud of sand with every kick which makes them appear to be inefficient plus they can ruin the visibility. In calm water if you want to move forward just slightly all you have to do is move your feet downward and the water is channeled through the jets without actually doing anything I would call a "kick."

I'm not saying that there aren't any good full-foot fins out there but back when I was diving with the dinosaurs they were referred to as "swim fins" and had a tendency to fall off in the surf and split down the top of the foot pocket. They also lacked power.

To me it would be ideal if a dive shop would let you try out various fins in their pool before you shell out $100-$200 or more but, in the past, that did not seem to be an option at any dive shops where I asked. If possible, I suggest you try out various rental fins and see what you like the best. I'm sure you can find lots of people who say their fins are the best and there are many different styles. If you pay attention while on dive boats you will likely find many instructors and dive masters wearing the Jet Fins. Probably for the same reasons that I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom