Are you a DIR diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Logo? What do logos have to do with anything?

I think perhaps you're confusing DIR (a philosophy of diving) with GUE or UTD, which sometimes go way beyond the simple philosophy of DIR.

Logo? What do logos have to do with anything?

I think perhaps you're confusing DIR (a philosophy of diving) with GUE or UTD, which sometimes go way beyond the simple philosophy of DIR.

Seriously? Look at the price of anything with the H logo.

myprecious1.jpg

View attachment 219000

I agree that Halcyon gear is expensive, but I have slowly found myself acquiring more and more of it. The quality is excellent and I find that all of it is well thought out in terms of design (features, size dimensions, material for x part, etc) . Small changes in terms of quality and utility features go along way.

Yes, I am serious. Halcyon gear is closely associated (some would imply mandatory) for GUE-trained divers.

But DIR is a philosophy, and there's no brand specified.
While I believe all GUE divers ascribe to the concept of DIR, not all DIR divers are GUE trained.

I think it's pretty obvious that the point DGX was trying to make is that there are items branded by companies associated with the DIR philosophy (which is often, although erroneously, are associated specifically with those companies), which are identical to their non-branded counterparts, simply without the markup.

A perfect example would be a Halcyon-branded neoprene slap strap selling for upwards of $30. A simple plain, unbranded slap strap of the same quality is $9.95. The only difference (and this is from comparing them side-by-side) is the Halcyon logo.

Let's not get wrapped up in semantics. It is obvious the point they were trying to make. Nit picking this doesn't serve to benefit anybody. The people buying these types of products know the intent, the people who don't know the difference are the people that buy stab jackets and octos and fancy split fins.

Back
Top Bottom