Are you a DIR diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I am serious. Halcyon gear is closely associated (some would imply mandatory) for GUE-trained divers.

I am sorry, but this is absolutely non-sense. Not only it is not mandatory, the suggestion to buy H brand gears was not even mentioned once in all the GUE class I have taken. Many ended chose H for certain specific piece of gears because they value the incremental quality improvement over some lower cost brands.

I am sorry, but this is absolutely non-sense. Not only it is not mandatory, the suggestion to buy H brand gears was not even mentioned once in all the GUE class I have taken. Many ended chose H for certain specific piece of gears because they value the incremental quality improvement over some lower cost brands.

Agreed, although in the early days the H was closely associated with GUE. Certainly because the gear conformed to the ethos. If you saw someone in H gear It was assumed, and usually correct, that they were DIR. Not hard to see how word of mouth carried this "new" way of diving and the new gear you had to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me clarify. I'm not saying this is the reality, I am saying this is a common perception.
If you think otherwise, then I'd point you back to the OP, in which there is a clearly stated perception that DIR and Halcyon go hand-in-hand.

One may be especially susceptible to associating Halcyon gear with GUE, even though GUE denies advocating any particular brand, if one is hanging out in High Springs, FL. Just sayin'.

Humm, I tried to visit the website but all I get is: "Windows Explorer can not display webpage." Probably something a miss on my end.

It's tough to separate training agency (GUE) from gear manufacturer (Halcyon) when they were started by and are owned by the same person, especially when they were both developed out of the needs of specific cave diving projects. Oddly enough, they tried going to Scubapro to have them make the very specific gear that they wanted and Scubapro responded by saying there's no market for it so Halcyon was born. (Now Scubapro has a backplate and wing system available - guess there was a market after all.) It also really doesn't help when trying to separate GUE and Halcyon that some of the people who are attracted to the high quality training standards and high quality dive gear unfortunately sometimes come with a very large ego. Because they have invested as much time, money, and effort as they have, they have a very strong sense of pride which feeds that ego and then leads to them insisting that GUE is the only agency that matters and Halcyon is the only gear you can dive. :facepalm:As with any training agency, the agency can't really be held accountable for the personalities of their divers. It is responsible for their dive skills but personality and ego are things that a dive agency simply can't fix.

There is no requirement to use Halcyon products for GUE courses and no requirement to take GUE courses when you buy Halcyon products despite what people say. Is it more expensive? Yes, mainly in part to quality and also that they don't outsource parts or labor overseas.

It's tough to separate training agency (GUE) from gear manufacturer (Halcyon) when they were started by and are owned by the same person, especially when they were both developed out of the needs of specific cave diving projects. Oddly enough, they tried going to Scubapro to have them make the very specific gear that they wanted and Scubapro responded by saying there's no market for it so Halcyon was born. (Now Scubapro has a backplate and wing system available - guess there was a market after all.) It also really doesn't help when trying to separate GUE and Halcyon that some of the people who are attracted to the high quality training standards and high quality dive gear unfortunately sometimes come with a very large ego. Because they have invested as much time, money, and effort as they have, they have a very strong sense of pride which feeds that ego and then leads to them insisting that GUE is the only agency that matters and Halcyon is the only gear you can dive. :facepalm:As with any training agency, the agency can't really be held accountable for the personalities of their divers. It is responsible for their dive skills but personality and ego are things that a dive agency simply can't fix.

There is no requirement to use Halcyon products for GUE courses and no requirement to take GUE courses when you buy Halcyon products despite what people say. Is it more expensive? Yes, mainly in part to quality and also that they don't outsource parts or labor overseas.

If I am not mistaken doesn't ScubaPro manufacture and rebrand their G250V/G260, Mk25 reg's for Halcyon?

Hmmm...I love my GUE Training and I love my Halcyon gear. I guess I drank the blue Kool-aid...and I liked it. :confined:

lSvWizsD.jpg

And I just spent $180 today at DGX. :D

Let me clarify. I'm not saying this is the reality, I am saying this is a common perception.
If you think otherwise, then I'd point you back to the OP, in which there is a clearly stated perception that DIR and Halcyon go hand-in-hand.

In the case of the mask, for instance, they are referring to a "branded" mask that they also sell.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom